Bo Hansén

Default Need Info - Lyrec 2" 24trk

"Vortex" wrote in message . ..
Hello all,

Is anyone familiar with the Lyrec 2" 24trk - model 532 or 533.

They seem to be more popular in Europe, having been made in Denmark.

Has anyone used one?
Experiences good or bad?
How does it sound in comparison to a Studer or Otari or MCI?
What about quality comparison?

Obviously servicing might be problematic as these machines are Danish, and
Lyrec
doesn't seem to make 2" 24trk any longer.

Thanks for your help.

Mario

Hi Mario,

The Lyrec TR-532 was the first 16/24 ch. 2" machine and come around
1977. The TR-532mk2 come around 1980, then the last TR-533 come around
1986.
The 532mk2 and 533 is a very good sounding machines with partly
discrete electronics in amplifiers, and they have a superb handbuild
mechanics

If you have questions regarding Lyrec tape recorders, contact them,
they are a very nice and helpful company,

Lyrec Manufacturing A/S Box 123
DK-2740 Skovlunde
Denmark
Tel +45 44 532 522
Fax +45 44 535 335
E-mail:

--Bo Hansén, Sweden
Vortex

Hello Bo,

Many thanks for your help.

Have a chance to purchase one locally, and trying to get a
feel for it's quality.

I see many studios in Europe use them still, and have seen them
in a few brokers lists for sale.

The one I'm looking at is a 24trk model 532.

Motors work, tape turns, ect, but apparently it's not passing audio.
So I could get it at a good price, and I'd have to fix the rest myself.

My suspision is that it was moved, and things got disconected.

It presently belongs to a University, and is in storage.

Do you think it's worth it being a model 532?

Thanks

Mario

[...]

Bo Hansén

"Vortex" wrote in message ...
[...]

Yeas it´s absolute worth to buy a nice Lyrec TR-532, because it´s a
very good sounding machine, and Lyrec in Danmark still have spareparts
and service for this machines. And if you can get it for a low price,
BUY THE MACHINE-

--Bo
Roger W. Norman

I'd say, offhand, that no, it's probably not worth the money or the
University would probably have the thing in operation somewhere. But if you
can find a tech local to you that feels comfortable with servicing the
product, AND you can find a cache of parts somewhere, then there's nothing
wrong with having a 24 track 2". Parts are going to be the main problem for
any future repairs, but even at that, a good tech is hard to find in almost
any part of the country, much less one that has experience with the Lyrec.

Some decently priced 1" and 2" machines have been posted here within the
last month or two. An ATR60 1"-16 track is on the board right now. Of
course, if the idea was that you were just going to pick up the one at the
University, then I'd say go for it. If it's a $1000, there are better deals
or ones that have servicable products.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

301-585-4681

"Vortex" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Vortex

Thanks Roger & Bo,

I'd say, offhand, that no, it's probably not worth the money or the
University would probably have the thing in operation somewhere.

Well it's very clean, and looks like it's in good shape, the heads look
great.

The University hasn't used it because they switched over to a Sony Dig 48trk
for their program.

I presently use a TEAC 80-8, and the playback head is showing wear.

But if you can find a tech local to you that feels comfortable with

servicing the
product, AND you can find a cache of parts somewhere, then there's nothing
wrong with having a 24 track 2".

Luckily I know electronics, I do my own "teching" and pretty sure can fix it
myself.

Parts are going to be the main problem for any future repairs, but even

at that,
a good tech is hard to find in almost any part of the country, much less

one that
has experience with the Lyrec.

I agree with you on the parts, ordering from Denmark in a pinch could cause
2-4 weeks
of down time. This is a bit of a concern for me.

Yes a good tech is really hard to find, let alone a Lyrec tech. Although
they have the
service manual, and as Bo says, Lyrec are nice to deal with.

Some decently priced 1" and 2" machines have been posted here within the
last month or two. An ATR60 1"-16 track is on the board right now.

Hmm, I hafta say, I don't beleive the Tascam 1" holds a candle to a Lyrec
2".
The 2" Tascam mchines are another story, those are pro machines.

The Lyrec has 3 alingement points, and I beleive - (and correct me here) the
Tascam
1/2" and 1" models have 2...maybe the 2" machines have 3.

I want to get a 2" seeing as I've got a 1/2" 8trk now, and if I get a 1"
16trk, I would
still want to get a 2" down the line.

Of course, if the idea was that you were just going to pick up the one at

the
University, then I'd say go for it.

Well, it's close by, and easy to get home. I've also seen an MCI 2" 16trk
elsewhere,
but that's a lot of $$$

If it's a $1000, there are better deals or ones that have servicable

products.

Uhmm, I haven't seen many 2" machines going for that price. I've seen some
1" between
1200-1500. If it's around 1k, the heads are usually pretty much worn, or
something's
got to be wrong.

Again thanks for your help!

Mario

[...]

Lou Gimenez

No 1" tascam atr will even touch that lyrec deck. I worked in a place that
had one, it was reliable and sounded great. Punched quick. I don't think
they're that bad to work on.
--Lou Gimenez
The Music Lab
2" 24track w all the Goodies