Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] glennerd56@gmail.com is offline

Default Sony TC-252 reel to reel slowing down?

Hi again gents, I got a Sony TC-252 reel to reel with speakers . Was listening to some of my old 1970's 4 track studio hits. As the tape went through a few songs it got slower and slower. I don't think it's sludge on the heads from the tape. It's Maxell and is just fine. My father in law gave me this machine and it did the same thing with one of his tapes. It might start 1/2 step flat then after about 8 songs it's 2 steps flat.
Is this because of a loose belt? Thanks if you can help. Glenn.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
Hi again gents, I got a Sony TC-252 reel to reel with speakers . Was listen=
ing to some of my old 1970's 4 track studio hits. As the tape went through =
a few songs it got slower and slower. I don't think it's sludge on the head=
s from the tape. It's Maxell and is just fine. My father in law gave me thi=
s machine and it did the same thing with one of his tapes. It might start 1=
/2 step flat then after about 8 songs it's 2 steps flat.
Is this because of a loose belt? Thanks if you can help. Glenn.

Those consumer machines were really never very stable in the best of
times, and yours is probably WAY overdue for new belts, new pinch roller,
and a total cleaning and lube. Rubber parts need regular replacement.

MANY of those awful one-motor Sony machines also used an idler pulley
which was also rubber and goes the same way all rubber materials go.
I don't know if this can be rebuilt like pinch rollers can.

The guys in rec.antiques.radio+phono probably can help more on those
consumer machines and setting you up with someone locally who can service
them.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
MarkK MarkK is offline

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Hi again gents, I got a Sony TC-252 reel to reel with speakers . Was

listen=
ing to some of my old 1970's 4 track studio hits. As the tape went

through =
a few songs it got slower and slower.

I assume it's a single motor machine and all single motor machines have to
use the same motor to drive the capstan and the take up reel. The take up
reel is driven through some sort of mechanical friction clutch that applies
torque to the take up reel but also slips. When you're at the start of the
reel, the take up reel is empty and spins fast so places LESS load on the
motor. As the take up reel fills up, it slows down so places MORE load on
the motor which slows it down a bit and therefore slows down the capstan as
well.

Another thing, when the take up reel is empty, it exerts more "pull" on the
tape which may have a small speedup effect.

So check the take up reel clutch and make sure it isn't too tight putting
too much load on the motor. That's about all you can do short of
re-designing the machine.

This is the reason I liked my Viking 88, it had a separate motor for the
takeup reel tension. It held speed very well.

You can probably find someone willing to transfer the tapes to digital for
you on a good machine.

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Friday, January 25, 2013 12:49:28 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi again gents, I got a Sony TC-252 reel to reel with speakers . Was listening to some of my old 1970's 4 track studio hits. As the tape went through a few songs it got slower and slower. I don't think it's sludge on the heads from the tape. It's Maxell and is just fine. My father in law gave me this machine and it did the same thing with one of his tapes. It might start 1/2 step flat then after about 8 songs it's 2 steps flat.

Is this because of a loose belt? Thanks if you can help. Glenn.

Ok maybe I will see if I can just get another machine. My only other machine I have that's 1/4" is a Otari MX 55 and it's not a 1/4 track. It sounds like this machine is not worth fixing GT.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

Ok maybe I will see if I can just get another machine. My only other machi=
ne I have that's 1/4" is a Otari MX 55 and it's not a 1/4 track. It sounds=
like this machine is not worth fixing GT.

Well, it's a typical consumer machine, it's about what you'd expect.

You can set up a quarter-track headstack for the MX-55. John French
probably has heads in stock although you may need to find a holder from
another Otari.

Quarter track was basically a consumer release format, an attempt at
saving tape costs while giving up substantial S/N and the ability to edit.
So most of the quarter track machines you see out there are going to be
cheaply-made consumer gear. Probably the best of them are the Revox
machines, though. Still, it's not that hard to retrofit a typical studio
machine up for clean quarter-track playback if it can deal with the slower
speeds properly.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mort Mort is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:
wrote:

[...]

--scott

Hi,

I have a Revox that is about 30 years old, and it always works perfectly
well. It is head and shoulders above the Ampex machine that I had.

Your machine probably needs a good check-up, new belts, and check on the
clutch tension, plus general cleaning.

I just love my Roland pocket-sized digital recorder. We have come a long
way since I started recording 78 rpm acetate / aluminum discs.

Mort Linder
Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article , Mort wrote:

I have a Revox that is about 30 years old, and it always works perfectly
well. It is head and shoulders above the Ampex machine that I had.

The A77 and B77 machines were definitely the king of the consumer machines,
certainly the most solid transports. Still, I don't think I'd put them up
against even a 440 for most applications although they are definitely easier
on tape.

If I were looking to buy a machine just for quarter-track playback, though,
I'd probably pick a quarter-track A77.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] glennerd56@gmail.com is offline

On Friday, January 25, 2013 12:49:28 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi again gents, I got a Sony TC-252 reel to reel with speakers . Was listening to some of my old 1970's 4 track studio hits. As the tape went through a few songs it got slower and slower. I don't think it's sludge on the heads from the tape. It's Maxell and is just fine. My father in law gave me this machine and it did the same thing with one of his tapes. It might start 1/2 step flat then after about 8 songs it's 2 steps flat.

Is this because of a loose belt? Thanks if you can help. Glenn.

An Idler wheel? Wonder if Terry could build? GT
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

On Friday, January 25, 2013 12:49:28 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi again gents, I got a Sony TC-252 reel to reel with speakers . Was list=

ening to some of my old 1970's 4 track studio hits. As the tape went throug=
h a few songs it got slower and slower. I don't think it's sludge on the he=
ads from the tape. It's Maxell and is just fine. My father in law gave me t=
his machine and it did the same thing with one of his tapes. It might start=
1/2 step flat then after about 8 songs it's 2 steps flat.
=20
Is this because of a loose belt? Thanks if you can help. Glenn.

An Idler wheel? Wonder if Terry could build? GT

Russell Industries can often match weird idlers.

But frankly, my feeling is that if it has an idler it's not a design worth
bothering with in the first place.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] paulcallas@comcast.net is offline

On Friday, January 25, 2013 at 12:49:28 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi again gents, I got a Sony TC-252 reel to reel with speakers . Was listening to some of my old 1970's 4 track studio hits. As the tape went through a few songs it got slower and slower. I don't think it's sludge on the heads from the tape. It's Maxell and is just fine. My father in law gave me this machine and it did the same thing with one of his tapes. It might start 1/2 step flat then after about 8 songs it's 2 steps flat.
Is this because of a loose belt? Thanks if you can help. Glenn.

It is rim driven. I had the same issue and you have to take it apart and there's a tire that when it's in play, it will go between the main motor shaft and the capstan fly wheel. You should see three tiers on the motor shaft. That determines the speed of the tape. Does it do it on all speeds or are some speeds worse than others? It wouldn't hurt to take that tire off and clean off the post that it rides on and the hole in the tire, just to make sure all of that hardened grease gets out of there. There is also an elbow that also may not be moving freely on the speed tire. If you can clean that with alcohol and maybe throw some 3 in 1 oil on that, that will definitely help that tire engage the motor and capstan flywheel. I hope this helps you. It really is a great sounding tape deck if it's working properly..
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

wrote:
[...]

At least some replies are getting a bit more timely, only 4 1/2 years
this one. :-)

Trevor.