"Bright" Dynaudios?

Old February 26th 04, 05:25 AM
Z. Gluhak

Default "Bright" Dynaudios?

"Dave" > wrote in message
> You might also (finally) be hearing the music the way it sounds. When you
> get a set of speakers as revealing as the Dyns, you'll start to appreciate
> your good, well recorded and well mastered CD's. The ones that were crappy
> or at least borderline will now make your ears bleed.
>
> dave

Everytime I think it's my system I throw in my old 1998 Iasca competition
cd. sounds great. then i get ****ed off because so many cds sound awful.
my wife just bought the new norah jones and while the clarity isn't bad
there is so much noise in the background it's like listening to a tape with
dolby turned off.

Old February 26th 04, 05:47 AM
Z. Gluhak

"Steve Grauman" > wrote in message
> >Same car here but I use the 240 GT dyns. Try putting yout tweets on
> >the -2db setting of the passive xovers that come with the speakers. That
> >fixed it for me.

> Already did it. It helped, but did not totally rectify the problem.

It still happens on some cds in my system, like cranberries, live and other
similar music. Miles Davis recorded back in the 50s sounds terrific. So
does harry connick jr.

i just avoid the crappy cds. what else can you do?

Old February 26th 04, 05:48 AM
MZ

You've got 13 bands of eq and you're having trouble keeping it from being
too bright?

--
Mark
remove "remove" and "spam" to reply

"Steve Grauman" > wrote in message
> >An in-dash EQ can give you 10 bands of adjustment.
> >

> What kind? In "Simple" mode, my CD8443 has a 13 band graphic EQ with a 1

band

Old February 27th 04, 01:46 AM
Steve Grauman

>It still happens on some cds in my system, like cranberries, live and other
>similar music. Miles Davis recorded back in the 50s sounds terrific. So
>does harry connick jr.

Yea, it's interesting. With 3 out of 4 Joe Satriani CDs it sounds fine, same
with Eric Johnson's "Venus Isle" and selected Jazz tracks from the likes of Taj
Mahal. But with Live, The Smashing Pumpkins and No Doubt, it sounds bright.
Conversly, with Ozzy Ozbourne and Stone Temple Pilots, the high end ringing
goes away, but it sounds "muddier".
Old February 27th 04, 01:47 AM
Steve Grauman

>You've got 13 bands of eq and you're having trouble keeping it from being
>too bright?

Yea, although only on selected CDs. Maybe it's just the quality of the
recordings, but it kind of sucks when 2 to 3 out of every 5 CDs I own sound
like crap. The Klipsch I have in my room use the Klipsch Horn tweets, normally
considered to be bright, but I don't have this problem with them for some
reason.
Old February 27th 04, 03:12 AM
Dave

Liz (and everybody),
I've gotten hooked on this site:
http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2 (direct link into the
Music area). Steve Hoffman is a very cool guy who is a Mastering Engineer.
He will personally answer whatever questions you might have as to why most
CD's today sound like such utter crap and what he does to avoid this mess.
This forum has nothing but music lovers in it and the amount of info there
is amazing. Steve's remastering work on classic rock, jazz and pop stuff is
ear-opening. I've bought WAY too many CD's that bring a tear to my ear every
time I try to listen to them. Once you go through his discography page (same
site), you will start combing through your local used CD store with a whole
new perspective.

dave

http://www.teamrocs.com/caraudio/

Old February 27th 04, 04:28 AM
thelizman

Dave wrote:
> Liz (and everybody),
> I've gotten hooked on this site:
> http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2 (direct link into the
> Music area).

I'll check it out, though I don't have alot of time for yet another
forum. Wow..THE Steve Hoffman. How many times did I see that on a CD.

Old February 28th 04, 11:34 AM
Tony Fernandes

Steve,

Why don't you try a different tweeter mounting location? I have never
personally cared for having the tweeter that far away from the mids and/or
that close to my ears without being severely muted.

Tony

--

What's more likely? That an all-powerful mysterious god created the
universe and then decided not to give any proof of his existence? Or, that

Old February 28th 04, 10:03 PM
Steve Grauman

>Why don't you try a different tweeter mounting location?

I've got nowhere else to put them with serious modification to the interior of
my car.
Old February 29th 04, 12:09 AM
MZ

Where are they again?