Mark Zarella

Default "soft" speaker baffles?

What is this stuff I keep seeing recently in door installations used for
baffles? It's soft, almost like several layers of dynamat or something.
Just curious.

Eddie Runner

the ones I have seen are made of a foam type
of plastic.. very flexable...

Mark Zarella wrote:

What is this stuff I keep seeing recently in door installations used for
baffles? It's soft, almost like several layers of dynamat or something.
Just curious.

Mark Zarella

the ones I have seen are made of a foam type
of plastic.. very flexable...

You're not talking about the ones that go behind to protect from moisture
and the like, are you?

Tha Ghee

"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
What is this stuff I keep seeing recently in door installations used for
baffles? It's soft, almost like several layers of dynamat or something.
Just curious.

there is a product called XTC, that are similar to what you described.

Mark Zarella

What is this stuff I keep seeing recently in door installations used for
baffles? It's soft, almost like several layers of dynamat or something.
Just curious.

there is a product called XTC, that are similar to what you described.

Those are those foam things that go on the back of speakers to protect them
from the elements, right? That's not what I'm talking about. What I;m
speaking of is a sheet of something used to mount your speakers on in doors.
You know, instead of wood, metal, or abs.

Eddie Runner

where did you find that?
typicly installers mount right to the car metal in the doors.
Sometimes with a sheet of dynamat.
occasionally when the speaker needs to be spaced out or
is of a different size a wood spacer or adapter is made.

Mark Zarella wrote:

What is this stuff I keep seeing recently in door installations used for
baffles? It's soft, almost like several layers of dynamat or something.
Just curious.

there is a product called XTC, that are similar to what you described.

Those are those foam things that go on the back of speakers to protect them
from the elements, right? That's not what I'm talking about. What I;m
speaking of is a sheet of something used to mount your speakers on in doors.
You know, instead of wood, metal, or abs.

Mark Zarella

where did you find that?
typicly installers mount right to the car metal in the doors.
Sometimes with a sheet of dynamat.
occasionally when the speaker needs to be spaced out or
is of a different size a wood spacer or adapter is made.

Right. But what I saw recently was two different installations by two
different shops that used some flexible material, that felt something like a
thicker dynamat. I had never seen that before until now. I was wondering
if anyone else has seen it.

Eddie Runner

I have often softened the back of my wooden speaker
baffle boards that I make with sticky sided foam or
carpet spray adhesived to the back of the boards so that
it makes a better more airtight seal to the metal door.

Problem is though, not all doors have room behind the factory
door grill for anything that makes the speaker stick out more.

Mark Zarella wrote:

where did you find that?
typicly installers mount right to the car metal in the doors.
Sometimes with a sheet of dynamat.
occasionally when the speaker needs to be spaced out or
is of a different size a wood spacer or adapter is made.

Right. But what I saw recently was two different installations by two
different shops that used some flexible material, that felt something like a
thicker dynamat. I had never seen that before until now. I was wondering
if anyone else has seen it.

Mark Zarella

I have often softened the back of my wooden speaker
baffle boards that I make with sticky sided foam or
carpet spray adhesived to the back of the boards so that
it makes a better more airtight seal to the metal door.

Problem is though, not all doors have room behind the factory
door grill for anything that makes the speaker stick out more.

There was no wood here. I was able to press this stuff in and it gave way a
little! It's definitely not wood or metal. As I said, it's like a thicker
version of dynamat. It doesn't seem to me to be a very good solution. I
was just wondering what the deal is.

Eddie Runner

it sounds kinda neat, but these little companies come
and then go out of biz so fast its hard to keep up with
em... occasionally somethng like that might solve a
problem of getting a good seal on a door speaker but
if it costs anything it may be hard to justify for the average
installer... Like I said when I need something like that
I can ussually make due with free stuff laying around the
shop....

Eddie

Mark Zarella wrote:

I have often softened the back of my wooden speaker
baffle boards that I make with sticky sided foam or
carpet spray adhesived to the back of the boards so that
it makes a better more airtight seal to the metal door.

Problem is though, not all doors have room behind the factory
door grill for anything that makes the speaker stick out more.

There was no wood here. I was able to press this stuff in and it gave way a
little! It's definitely not wood or metal. As I said, it's like a thicker
version of dynamat. It doesn't seem to me to be a very good solution. I
was just wondering what the deal is.

Tha Ghee

"Mark Zarella" wrote in message
I have often softened the back of my wooden speaker
baffle boards that I make with sticky sided foam or
carpet spray adhesived to the back of the boards so that
it makes a better more airtight seal to the metal door.

Problem is though, not all doors have room behind the factory
door grill for anything that makes the speaker stick out more.

There was no wood here. I was able to press this stuff in and it gave way

little! It's definitely not wood or metal. As I said, it's like a

thicker
version of dynamat. It doesn't seem to me to be a very good solution. I
was just wondering what the deal is.

last time I counted there were 8 or so places that made a SD mat, did you
see a name on it or it could be iceguard.