Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] klausrampelmann@hotmail.com is offline

Default Löfgren's paper on cartridge alignment/tone arm geo

When talking about tone arm geometry and cartridge alignment, usually
Baerwald's paper from 1941 is mentioned. However, Erik Löfgren was
actually the first to publish the solution, identical to Baerwald's,
in 1938 in Germany.

In the following years other solutions were proposed by Bauer 1945,
Seagrave 1956, Stevenson 1966. In 1983 Graeme Dennes made an analysis
of these papers and found that the different solutions are
mathematically identical.

Last year Graeme asked me if Löfgren's paper had ever been translated
into English. To the best of my knowledge it had not so I thought I'd
give it a go. Today, exactly 70 years later, with the help of Graeme
and members of the Vinyl Engine, the translation is ready and can be
downloaded from the VE website.

http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15876

Klaus

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message

When talking about tone arm geometry and cartridge
alignment, usually Baerwald's paper from 1941 is
mentioned. However, Erik Löfgren was actually the first
to publish the solution, identical to Baerwald's, in 1938
in Germany.

In the following years other solutions were proposed by
Bauer 1945, Seagrave 1956, Stevenson 1966. In 1983 Graeme
Dennes made an analysis of these papers and found that
the different solutions are mathematically identical.

Last year Graeme asked me if Löfgren's paper had ever
been translated into English. To the best of my knowledge
it had not so I thought I'd give it a go. Today, exactly
70 years later, with the help of Graeme and members of
the Vinyl Engine, the translation is ready and can be
downloaded from the VE website.

http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15876

Some of the more knowledgeable people around here have been talking about
inherent distortions that are part and parcel of the LP format. This paper
describes one of the more significant ones and even calculates the amount of
inherent nonlinear distortion involved.

The relationship between distortion and record wear is discussed on page 12.

Skeptical readers with short attention spans are directed to the Abstract on
page 13 of the article.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] S888Wheel@aol.com is offline

Default L�fgren's paper on cartridge alignment/tone ar

On Nov 26, 9:08�am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
wrote in message

When talking about tone arm geometry and cartridge
alignment, usually Baerwald's paper from 1941 is
mentioned. However, Erik L�fgren was actually the first
to publish the solution, identical to Baerwald's, in 1938
in Germany.

In the following years other solutions were proposed by
Bauer 1945, Seagrave 1956, Stevenson 1966. In 1983 Graeme
Dennes made an analysis of these papers and found that
the different solutions are mathematically identical.

Last year Graeme asked me if L�fgren's paper had ever
been translated into English. To the best of my knowledge
it had not so I thought I'd give it a go. Today, exactly
70 years later, with the help of Graeme and members of
the Vinyl Engine, the translation is ready and can be
downloaded from the VE website.

http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15876

Some of the more knowledgeable people around here have been talking about
inherent distortions that are part and parcel of the LP format. This paper
describes one of the more significant ones and even calculates the amount of
inherent nonlinear distortion involved.

The relationship between distortion and record wear is discussed on page 12.

Skeptical readers with short attention spans are directed to the Abstract on
page 13 of the article.- Hide quoted text -

You do realize that this is limited to pivoting pickup arms and
therefore is not about any inherent distortions in the medium don't
you?
Yes, record wear was a big deal in 1938. You do know why don't you?
Incase you don't I'll give you a hint. They were made out of shellac.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 20:34:41 -0800, wrote
(in article ):

wrote in message

[...]

Actually they weren't merely shellac. 78's were made out of a mixture of
about 25% shellac with the rest being powdered slate, a wax lubricant and
even hard rubber. But the record composition is only part of the story.
Pickups tracked records at many ounces, and some acoustical heads imparted
weights of close to a pound on the stylus point. Most record players used
steel "needles" to play the records with. These needles needed to be replaced
for every play, but people rarely did so resulting in high record wear.
Purists used softer materials such as cactus needles and well-to-do record
collectors, of course, used styli of sapphire and diamond. The latter were
very expensive before GE invented a method for producing industrial grade
diamonds relatively cheaply.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message

On Nov 26, 9:08?am, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

So, then you believe that almost everybody who listens to vinyl uses a
straight-line tracking arm?

Do you always listen to vinyl with a straight-line tracking arm?

Yes, record wear was a big deal in 1938. You do know why
don't you? Incase you don't I'll give you a hint. They
were made out of shellac.

So you really believe that vinyl records are immune to wear?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] S888Wheel@aol.com is offline

On Nov 27, 12:29�pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
wrote in message

On Nov 26, 9:08?am, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

I am quite certain that any distortions due to tracking errors of
pivoting arms are not inherent distortions in the medium. I do not
pretend to know what everybody listens to.

Do you always listen to vinyl with a �straight-line tracking arm?

At home yes.

Yes, record wear was a big deal in 1938. You do know why
don't you? Incase you don't I'll give you a hint. They
were made out of shellac.

So you really believe that vinyl records are immune to wear?

I believe that it is not a major issue with modern equipment and
vinyl. The effects of record wear are of little consequence if one
knows how to take care of their vinyl and one has the right rig that
is propperly set up.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote in message

On Nov 27, 12:29�pm, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
wrote in message

On Nov 26, 9:08?am, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

You do realize that this is limited to pivoting pickup
arms and therefore is not about any inherent distortions
in the medium don't you?

So, then you believe that almost everybody who listens
to vinyl uses a straight-line tracking arm?

I am quite certain that any distortions due to tracking
errors of pivoting arms are not inherent distortions in
the medium.

That's not an answer to the question, that is an irrelevant declaration.

Not a responsive answer to the question that was asked. I think that that if
you answered my question in a responsive way, you would have to admit that
audiophiles that listen to vinyl don't as a rule use linear tracking tone
arms. Therefore, the audible distortions due pivoting tone arms are
inherent in the way that almost all people listen to LPs.

Yes, record wear was a big deal in 1938. You do know why
don't you? Incase you don't I'll give you a hint. They
were made out of shellac.

So you really believe that vinyl records are immune to
wear?

I believe that it is not a major issue with modern
equipment and vinyl.

Do you have any evidence for that assertion that overcomes the technical
information that has been published by various reliable technical sources
that says that wear is a major issue with modern equipment and vinyl.

The effects of record wear are of
little consequence if one knows how to take care of their
vinyl and one has the right rig that is propperly set up.

Assertion without proof or even relevant reliable evidence.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Nov 28, 8:42�am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
wrote in message

On Nov 27, 12:29 pm, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
wrote in message

On Nov 26, 9:08?am, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
You do realize that this is limited to pivoting pickup
arms and therefore is not about any inherent distortions
in the medium don't you?
So, then you believe that almost everybody who listens
to vinyl uses a straight-line tracking arm?

I am quite certain that any distortions due to tracking
errors of pivoting arms are not inherent distortions in
the medium.

That's not an answer to the question, that is an irrelevant declaration.

Sure it is. Lets look at the original declaration by you in the second
post on this thread.

"Some of the more knowledgeable people around here have been talking
about
inherent distortions that are part and parcel of the LP format. This
paper
describes one of the more significant ones and even calculates the
amount of
inherent nonlinear distortion involved."

You are in effect claiming that tracking errors of pivoting arms are
an inherent coloration of the medium. Clearly they are not. i shoudl
know, my arm does not suffer from them.

Not a responsive answer to the question that was asked. I think that that if
you answered my question in a responsive way, you would have to admit that
audiophiles that listen to vinyl don't as a rule use linear tracking tone
arms. �Therefore, the audible distortions due pivoting tone arms are
inherent in the way that almost all people listen to LPs.

Your question lacked relevance to the issue at hand. That would be
your claim that tracking errors of pivoted arms are an "inherent
coloration of the medium." Clearly they are not. It would be no less
intelectually insincere for me to claim that digital only has about
10 db of dynamic range because that is what the majority of consumers
hear when they listen to any digital playback. You are once again
using a logical fallacy "Special pleading, or ad-hoc reasoning This is
a subtle fallacy which is often difficult to recognize. In essence, it
is the arbitrary introduction of new elements into an argument in
order to fix them so that they appear valid."
http://www.theskepticsguide.org/logicalfallacies.asp
Any discussion of the 'inherent' colorations of any medium have to be
all inclusive. Clearly tracking errors of pivoting arms are not all
inclusive. Your special pleading about common usage of pivoting arms
is irrelevent and a logical fallacy.

Yes, record wear was a big deal in 1938. You do know why
don't you? Incase you don't I'll give you a hint. They
were made out of shellac.
So you really believe that vinyl records are immune to
wear?

I believe that it is not a major issue with modern
equipment and vinyl.

Do you have any evidence for that assertion that overcomes the technical
information that has been published by various reliable technical sources
that says that wear is a major issue with modern equipment and vinyl.

What technical information has been published that claims record wear
is a significant problem with modern playback equipment and modern
vinyl formulations? All that has been presented on this thread is a
paper that referes to the wear of shellac records played with a metal
needle with tracking forces that are on an order of magnitude greater
than that of modern cartridges.

The effects of record wear are of
little consequence if one knows how to take care of their
vinyl and one has the right rig that is propperly set up.

Assertion without proof or even relevant reliable evidence

Please show some reliable and relevant proof that says otherwise.
Remember the need for relevance. You apparently forgot that when you
cited this 1938 paper that deals with the playback of shellac 78s as
evidence of the problem with the wear of modern vinyl on modern rigs.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

wrote:

"Arny Krueger" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

And what do you use ?

and therefore is not about any inherent distortions in the medium don't you?

Yes it IS inherent. Tracking or tracing distortion is a result of fundamental
physics / mathematics..

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] S888Wheel@aol.com is offline

On Nov 29, 8:45�am, Eeyore
"Arny Krueger" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

A Forsell Air Reference TT/arm

and therefore is not about any inherent distortions in the medium don't you?

Yes it IS inherent. Tracking or tracing distortion is a result of fundamental
physics / mathematics..

Please show me the math that shows the tracking errors of pivoting
arms also affect linear tracking arms.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Serge Auckland[_2_] Serge Auckland[_2_] is offline

"Eeyore" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

I suppose it depends what you mean by "inherent". If you use a
parallel-tracking arm, then you don't have tracking distortion, and if you
use something like the Finial laser turntable, you don't get tracing
distortion, so it's not necessarily "inherent" in the medium, just in the
"normal" way of playing LPs.

However, there are several distortion mechanisms inherent in the cutting of
LPs to do with lacquer springback and cutter angles that are fixed in the
subsequent LP and therefore can be thought of as genuinely "inherent"

S.
--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message
om

Please show me the math that shows the tracking errors of
pivoting arms also affect linear tracking arms.

Any tracking errors that are internal to the cartrdige, including those due
to the radius of the stylus and the fact that the stylus of a cartridge
rotates around an internal pivot, also affect linear tracking arms.

We've cited a number of AES papers that discuss these problems. Have you yet
analyzed them for errors in their math?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] S888Wheel@aol.com is offline

On Nov 29, 8:09�pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
wrote in message

om

Please show me the math that shows the tracking errors of
pivoting arms also affect linear tracking arms.

Any tracking errors that are internal to the cartrdige, including those due
to the radius of the stylus and the fact that the stylus of a cartridge
rotates around an internal pivot, also affect linear tracking arms.

That is an interesting *new* assertion. But it does not address the
assertion that there is some sort of mathematical proof that linear
tracking arms suffer from the same tracking errors as do pivoting arms
that was addressed in the paper by Erik Lofgren.
Perhaps you should start a new thread about this *other* alleged form
of tracking distortion and post the actual relevant data and analysis
of any actual academic papers on the subject as did the OP of this
thread.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message

On Nov 29, 8:09�pm, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
wrote in message

om

Please show me the math that shows the tracking errors
of pivoting arms also affect linear tracking arms.

Any tracking errors that are internal to the cartridge,
including those due to the radius of the stylus and the
fact that the stylus of a cartridge rotates around an
internal pivot, also affect linear tracking arms.

That is an interesting *new* assertion.

It's not new at all. Symptomatic of not reading any of the JAES articles
that have been cited here.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] S888Wheel@aol.com is offline

On Nov 30, 4:25�pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
wrote in message

On Nov 29, 8:09 pm, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
wrote in message

news:EY6dne3kR5de6qzUnZ2dnUVZ_vadnZ2d@pghconnect .com

Please show me the math that shows the tracking errors
of pivoting arms also affect linear tracking arms.

Any tracking errors that are internal to the cartridge,
including those due to the radius of the stylus and the
fact that the stylus of a cartridge rotates around an
internal pivot, also affect linear tracking arms.

That is an interesting *new* assertion.

It's not new at all.

It is quite new to this thread.

Symptomatic of not reading any of the JAES articles
that have been cited here.

Send them to me and I will read them. Thus far you have had a pretty
miserable track record of making logical connections between technical
papers such as the Lofgren paper cited in this thread and your
assertions about the realities of vinyl playback. For all we know the
papers you have cited from the JAES are just as irrelevant to the
topics being discussed as was your assertion that the Lofgren paper
was relevant to the inherent colorations of vinyl playback and the
issue of record wear with modern equipment and modern vinyl
formulations. I am not going to spend any money just to find out you
are making more of the same illogical connections. Send them to me and
I will read them.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message

On Nov 30, 4:25�pm, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
wrote in message

On Nov 29, 8:09 pm, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
wrote in message

om

Please show me the math that shows the tracking errors
of pivoting arms also affect linear tracking arms.

Any tracking errors that are internal to the cartridge,
including those due to the radius of the stylus and the
fact that the stylus of a cartridge rotates around an
internal pivot, also affect linear tracking arms.

That is an interesting *new* assertion.

It's not new at all.

It is quite new to this thread.

Symptomatic of not reading any of the JAES articles
that have been cited here.

Send them to me and I will read them.

That involves a great expense to me, or me breaking the law.

It is customary for people to pay for their own educations, not panhandle it
from strangers.

Thus far you have
had a pretty miserable track record of making logical
connections between technical papers such as the Lofgren
paper cited in this thread and your assertions about the
realities of vinyl playback.

Speaks to your inability to understand technical papers in general.

For all we know the papers
you have cited from the JAES are just as irrelevant to
the topics being discussed as was your assertion that the
Lofgren paper was relevant to the inherent colorations of
vinyl playback and the issue of record wear with modern
equipment and modern vinyl formulations.

I am perfectly content to let you continue to be ignorant.

I am not going
to spend any money just to find out you are making more
of the same illogical connections. Send them to me and I
will read them.

Send me $250 and I will be your agent and order several of them from the
AES, and ship them to your address.

But for far less money, you can send me that transcription of a side of a
vinyl LP with no edits or other processing, that has no tics, or pops, or
other problems that you claim the LP simply does not have.

Of course, if no such recording is ever delivered to me, we know that the
many claims you have made about the LP have zero substance, because you can
not provide even one example that supports your claims.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] S888Wheel@aol.com is offline

On Dec 1, 3:07�pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
wrote in message

On Nov 30, 4:25 pm, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
wrote in message

On Nov 29, 8:09 pm, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
wrote in message

news:EY6dne3kR5de6qzUnZ2dnUVZ_vadnZ2d@pghconne ct.com

Please show me the math that shows the tracking errors
of pivoting arms also affect linear tracking arms.

Any tracking errors that are internal to the cartridge,
including those due to the radius of the stylus and the
fact that the stylus of a cartridge rotates around an
internal pivot, also affect linear tracking arms.

That is an interesting *new* assertion.

It's not new at all.

It is quite new to this thread.

Symptomatic of not reading any of the JAES articles
that have been cited here.

Send them to me and I will read them.

That involves a great expense to me, or me breaking the law.

A great deal of expense? How much is it to email files? I thought that
was free. Breaking the law? You mean copywright law? Isn't that the
same law you are asking me to break by making a CD transcription? You
could easily send me relevant excerpts which falls under fair usage
and would avoid any violation of copywright laws. IOW those excuses
don't hold water. You can do it for little or no cost without breaking
any laws.

It is customary for people to pay for their own educations, not panhandle it
from strangers.

Then why are you "panhandling" for free music from me?

Thus far you have
had a pretty miserable track record of making logical
connections between technical papers such as the Lofgren
paper cited in this thread and your assertions about the
realities of vinyl playback.

Speaks to your inability to understand technical papers in general.

Pure ad Hominem.

For all we know the papers
you have cited from the JAES are just as irrelevant to
the topics being discussed as was your assertion that the
Lofgren paper was relevant to the inherent colorations of
vinyl playback and the issue of record wear with modern
equipment and modern vinyl formulations.

I am perfectly content to let you continue to be ignorant.

More Ad Hominem.

�I am not going
to spend any money just to find out you are making more
of the same illogical connections. Send them to me and I
will read them.

Send me $250 and I will be your agent and order several of them from the
AES, and ship them to your address.

Wouldn't *that* be breaking the law? I'm betting you are not an
authorized agent for the JAES

But for far less money, you can send me that transcription of a side of a
vinyl LP with no edits or other processing, that has no tics, or pops, or
other problems that you claim the LP simply does not have.

Why would you ask me to break the same laws you are so concerned about
breaking yourself?

Of course, if no such recording is ever delivered to me, we know that the
many claims you have made about the LP have zero substance, because you can
not provide even one example that supports your claims

Faulty Logic. Non sequitor. The validity of my claims don't hinge on
me giving you free music? You still haven't explained how you plan to
do a biased controlled evaluation of such a transcription. So what
would be the point in sending you such a transcription with no
evidence that you could or would do a bias controlled evaluation? Your
prejudices against vinyl are already well documented.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On 27 nov, 05:34, wrote:

"You do realize that this is limited to pivoting pickup arms..."

Actually no, at least not on paper, because tracking error is caused
by non-tangentiality of the vertical plane of the playback stylus and
this can occur in linear tracking arms as well.

As far as record wear with modern styli and low tracking forces is
concerned, here are some excerpts that might be of interest:

Anderson, "Some Aspects of Wear and Calibration of Test Records", JAES
Volume 9 Issue 2, pp. 111-114; April 1961

HIGH FREQUENCY WEAR

An experiment which has been performed many times is to plot
successive response curves, starting with a new record, and noting the
changes which occur. A typical result is shown in Fig. 8, measured on
the RCA 12-5-49 record with RIAA equalization applied.

Here, the decrease in high frequency response due to progressive wear
on an experimental laboratory pickup at 1- gram needleforce is
contrasted to the wear resulting from a standard M3D cartridge at the
extreme needleforce of 9 grams. The experimental pickup is a modified
M21 cartridge having a compliance of 25 X 10.C cm/dyne and an
equivalent mass of 1.0 milligram. The standard M3D cartridge has a
compliance of 4.5 ) 10_c cm/dyne, and an equivalent mass of 2.0
milligrams. The observed wear from 20 playings varies from effectively
zero for the modified M21 to about 5 db for the M3D, due to the
differences in compliance, equivalent mass and, to a large extent,
needle- force. Curves of this type have long been used as a measure of
record wear.

However well these curves may express the record wear resulting from
progressive playings, they cannot express the difference between the
condition of the new record and its condition after the first playing.
Our experience has been that the first playing, especially at high
needleforce, accomplishes a large part of the wear observed after 20
plays.

To assess the damage resulting from the first playing, we utilize the
experimental laboratory pickup, which occasions no detectable wear.
The new record is played on the lightweight pickup. then on the test
pickup, and then on the lightweight pickup again. These results are
shown in Fig.9. It is noteworthy to observe that the first play at 9
grams has worn off 1.5 db. This illustrates the misleading results
that may accrue from measuring different types of pickups on the same
record.

Anderson, "Phonograph reproduction - 1978, Audio Magazine 1978, June,
pp.42-58

Wear: Comparative tests were conducted to evaluate tip and record
wear. In one test V15 Type IV styli with biradial, hyperbolic, and
hyperelliptical tips were played continuously on the ShureTTRllO
record at 1.25-grams tracking force. All cartridges were mounted in
the same model record changer. The tips and records were cleaned
regularly. Based on photographs of the tips, no significant difference
in the rate of tip wear was observed in these tests.

Record wear tests were conducted as well. Second harmonic distortion
was measured after 100 plays. The results showed no significant
difference among biradial, hyperbolic, and hyperelliptical tips.
Although extensive testing has been performed on noise generation,
record wear, and tip wear, we have found little in the way of
significant differences among tips of different shapes. We have
confirmed that playing at higher tracking force accelerates wear and
recommend a force of no more than 1.5 grams. We have also confirmed,
once again, by measurement that mis tracking is disastrous in terms of
noise and record wear.

Davies, "Close-up look of record wear", Audio Magazine 1980,
September, pp.38-42

For these tests, all of the records were played with a new Shure M91ED
cartridge (elliptical) loaded at 1 gram with proper anti-skate
adjustment. The records were cleaned with 50 percent isopropyl
alcohol. (Dirt could have caused erroneous interpretation by gouging
out the groove surface.) Records had adjacent serial numbers so that
they came from the same master and presumably pressed within minutes
of one another,

Figure 4 is the sequence or SEM photos of a Kotekan record played 50
times. The loss of audio quality is easily heard. The SEM photos show
that there are now many small pieces of vinyl that have come off of
the surface. These little depressions are very reminiscent of glass
surfaces that have been chipped by fine sand, that is, these
impertections appear to be due to surface conchoidal fractures.
Examples or conchoidal fractures are broken or shattered glass. Note
that by comparison with Fig. 3. there are many more imperfections or
this kind and that their Individual sizes are larger than those or
Fig. 3. Notice too the distinct wear lines that are parallel to tho
record groove.

Flgure 3 is a sequence or SEM photos taken at a record of Holst's "The
Planets". This record was also played 50 times. After 50 plays, it is
almost unlistenable. The groove walls clearly show enormous damage.
Notice that the damage is mainly of the conchoidal fracture type and
that there are many longitudinal wear lines. In Figure 5F, we can
clearly see why high frequencies become distorted by the wear process.
The wall modulations in th right channel are very badly damaged by the
conchoidal fracturing that has occurred. In this photo, the dimensions
of the fractures are a sizable fraction of the width of the wall
modulations.

The wear damage shown in Figs. 4 and 5 is predominantly of the
conchoidal fracture type. But this is not the only kind of wear damage
that can occur. Figures 6A, B, and C show examples of another kind of
wear process, tearing and gouging in addition to the conchoidal
fracture, which may be associated with a "stick-slip" frictional
phenomenon. These photos were taken from a recording of Rachmaninoff's
Symphony No. 1, used as demonstration record in an audiophile
specialty house. The pickup was a moving-coil type loaded at 2.5
grams, and the record was thoroughly cleaned prior to each playing.

Kogen, "The elliptical stylus", Audio Magazine 1964, May, pp.33-36,
60, 61

1. Background Noise.
The test record employed in this test was the CBS-STR 100 band 6A and
7A which is modulated at 1000 cps at a recorded velocity of 3.54 cm/
sec. A wave analyzer was used to measure output at discrete
frequencies across the audio range. Measurements were made during the
first playing of the record with a 0.2- mil radius elliptical tip,
played at 1.5 grams. The record was played 30 times and the
measurement was repeated after every ten playings. Figure 7 shows
output versus frequency after the first and after 30 playings. The
output at 1000 cps, 2000 cps, 3000 cps, and so forth indicates the
modulation cut into the record plus residual distortion products.
Output at other frequencies shows background noise.

Our conclusion from this test was that background noise did not change
to any measurable degree even at the maximum tracking force for this
cartridge. Some increase in output was noted at about 12,000 cps, the
resonance of the stylus and record. Additional tests indicated that
this small amount of wear can be eliminated under identical test
conditions by reducing the tracking force to 1 gram or less.

A second test for broadband noise was run at 10,000 cps using the
elliptical tip at 1.5 grams. For this test a harmonic distortion meter
was employed which measured the output of all frequencies except
10,000 cps. Total distortion plus noise measured 2.2 per cent during
the first playing and 2.8 per cent during the 70th playing. This is a
rather moderate change in noise for 70 playings of the record.

2. Frequency Response.
Alteration of the groove modulation should be indicated by a change in
frequency response as measured on a new versus a worn record. Tests
were performed using the CBS-STR 100 record, bands 1A and 2A.
Recordings of cartridge output-versus-frequency for a variety of
tracking forces and tip radii on new records and after a significant
number of playings. The results of these tests we

a. At 1 gram with the 0.2-mil elliptical tip, no measurable change in
frequency response could be detected.
b. At 1.5 grams with the elliptical tip, a slight alteration in
response was noted between 10,000 and 20,00 cps after 100 plays.
c. At 3 grams with the elliptical tip, a significant effect on the
output in the 10,000 to 20,000 cps range was detected.
d. A 0.7-mil circular tip at 3.0 grams influenced the 10,000 to 20,000
cps response to a small degree after 100 playings, about the same as
the 0.2- mil tip at 1.5 grams.

Our conclusion is that, if this test has significance, the tracking
force for 0.2-mil elliptical tip should be no greater than 1.5 grams
maximum and more optimally 1.0 gram.

3. Square Wave Tests.
As an alternate for the frequency response measurements a series of
tests were run on square wave modulation using the CBS-STR 111 record.
This record has bands of 1000-cps square waves modulated laterally,
vertically, left channel and right channel stereo.

Tests were performed with the 0.2-mil elliptical tip at 1.5 and at 3.0
grams. Results were as follows:

a. At 1.5 grams a very small change was detected after 25 plays. This
change showed up as about 10 per cent increase in amplitude of the
first overshoot. This correlates with the frequency response tests in
that the frequency and amplitude of the overshoot is directly related
to the upper frequency response. The effect of the elliptical tip at
1.5 grams appears to be reasonably small for the vertical and lateral,
as well as stereo modulation.

b. Wear after 25 playings at 3 grams was much more pronounced for this
test on the stereo channels. After 25 playings the first overshoot
increased in amplitude to roughly twice what it was on a new record.
Very little change was noted in the laterally modulated groove and,
surprisingly, the vertical groove.

These tests were all relative, of course, and provide no indication of
how much change would be significant. Nevertheless, the square wave
tests do correlate with the frequency response and coroborate our
conclusion that 1.5 grams is the top limit in tracking force for a 0.2-
mil elliptical tip.

Klaus
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Richard Tollerton Richard Tollerton is offline

On Dec 5, 12:15*pm, Steven Sullivan wrote:
wrote:

fascinating stuff
I think some of this work has been much-referenced here and other audio groups , but without
exact citations; it's good to see them cited bibliogpahically. *I'd love to see the SEM photos
from the Audio article, I'll have to see if I can find that somehere.

FWIW, wasn't Davies the inventor of LAST? His research is great, but
he did have a vested interest in the matter

The comments on staying under 1.5 grams to avoid HF tip-groove
resonance issues is *extremely* fascinating. It flies in the face of a
lot of modern wisdom about tracking close to the upper recommended
limits of the cartridge.

I do wonder, though, about 'square waves' on test records. *How can anyone expect soemthing as
crude as a stylus in contact with a rotating platter, to accurately navigate the successive 90
degree angles of a square wave? Is there some 'trick' to it?

Yeah, integration A reproduced square wave has a groove with the
shape of a triangle wave. (A square-wave groove would reproduce
electrically as a Dirac impulse train, if it actually tracked.)

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Nov 27, 3:29*pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:

So, then you believe that almost everybody who listens to vinyl uses a
straight-line tracking arm?

No, of course not. Why would you even ask?

Do you always listen to vinyl with a *straight-line tracking arm?

Yes, since 1974.

Yes, record wear was a big deal in 1938. You do know why
don't you? Incase you don't I'll give you a hint. They
were made out of shellac.

So you really believe that vinyl records are immune to wear?

No, of course not. Why would you even ask?

But, just to rub it in a little:

Assume an 8 ounce tracking force on a steel needle for a 78 rpm
record. The diameter of a new steel needle designed for 78 rpm use is
0.08mm (3mil). The diameter of a typical eliptical diamond stylus for
a 33 rpm record is ~0.02mm x 0.005mm with considerable variations, but
that is average.

Assume a contact area of one (1) mil x 1/2 the diameter for the steel
stylus, and 0.02mm x the short side for the eliptical stylus.

Assume a 2 gram tracking force for the eliptical stylus.

8 ounces = 226 grams +/-
1 x 1.5 = 1.5 square mils or .0381 square mm.
Or, 5.931 kilograms/square mm.
Comes to something over 8000 pounds per square inch.
Moving without lubrication at a speed of approximately 36.75 feet per
second, or ~25 miles per hour. Not to mention bouncing up and down and
from side-to side to make the sound. This is for the steel needle on
shellac.

For a diamond stylus on vinyl, that calculates to about 340 pounds per
square inch, traveling at about 15.6 feet per second or about 10.6
mph. Also with bouncing up and down and side to side.

NO mechanically transduced medium is immune to wear. But which do you
think will wear faster, and for which medium do you think will be more
affected by poor geometry (and that is a trick question - remember
that the steel stylus is presumably round - but is *not* vertical).

Bunch-O-Red Herrings. The Edison Cylinder machines had it right - a
vertical stylus on the cylindar that was driven by a screw calibrated
to the exact width of the groove. I have a very nice 2-minute Edison
Home machine - some of those cylinders are surprisingly dynamic for
media recorded over 100 years ago and played many times, I am sure.
But I would never suggest that they were the cat's meow or even the
bee's knees as to fidelity.

And the Edison Diamond Disc machines also used a vertical (diamond)
needle.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] dpierce.cartchunk.org@gmail.com is offline

On Dec 5, 2:20 pm, Richard Tollerton
wrote:
Yeah, integration A reproduced square wave has a groove with the
shape of a triangle wave. (A square-wave groove would reproduce
electrically as a Dirac impulse train, if it actually tracked.)

Actually, no.

The electrical output of the cartridge is proportional to the
instantaneous velocity of the stylus tip, to some reasonable
approximation. That voltage is then integrated by the
biggest feature of the RIAA playback equalization.

A square wave impressed on the vinyl will get
differentiated by the cartridge, resulting in the
Dirac impulse train you suggested: Integrate
that voltage train in the phono preamp and
there's your square wave.

Or, more accurately, some reasonable approximation
thereof.

It's a little different, of course, due to the RIAA shelf.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Dec 5, 1:15 pm, Steven Sullivan wrote:
I do wonder, though, about 'square waves' on test records. How can anyone expect soemthing as
crude as a stylus in contact with a rotating platter, to accurately navigate the successive 90
degree angles of a square wave? Is there some 'trick' to it?

A "square wave: is not a square wave mechanically
on a record, for a number of reasons. First and
foremost, it's severely band-limited. Assume
a real top-end of 20 kHz, even 25 kHz and non phase-
linear response: no "90 corner" got impressed in
the vinyl to begin with.

Absolute best case you'd be looking at a rise time on
the order of 0.018-0.020 mS assuming critically
damped response, which is a pretty tall order.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Dec 5, 3:16 pm, Peter Wieck wrote:
For a diamond stylus on vinyl, that calculates to about 340 pounds per
square inch, traveling at about 15.6 feet per second or about 10.6
mph.

Not that it's relevant, but however did you come up
with 15.6 feet per second?

I assume you're talking about the linear groove
velocity, greatest at the outside of the record.
The circumference is 37.6 inches, rotation is
0.555 RPS (33.3 RPM), thus the velocity is
0.555/s * 37.6 inches = 20 in/s or 1.7 ft/s,
a blistering 1.2 mph. I almost sit faster than
that.

Also with bouncing up and down and side to side.

And all this imparts confidence in the medium, ... how? :-)

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Dec 5, 5:50*pm, wrote:
On Dec 5, 3:16 pm, Peter Wieck wrote:

For a diamond stylus on vinyl, that calculates to about 340 pounds per
square inch, traveling at about 15.6 feet per second or about 10.6
mph.

Not that it's relevant, but however did you come up
with 15.6 feet per second?

I assume you're talking about the linear groove
velocity, greatest at the outside of the record.
The circumference is 37.6 inches, rotation is
0.555 RPS (33.3 RPM), thus the velocity is
0.555/s * 37.6 inches = 20 in/s or 1.7 ft/s,
a blistering 1.2 mph. I almost sit faster than
that.

*Also with bouncing up and down and side to side.

And all this imparts confidence in the medium, ... how? :-)

12" record. Average 9" diameter. 9 x 78 x 3.14159 = 2205.4 ipm.

2205.4/60/12 = ~3.07fps. A bit over 2 mph... A moderate walking
speed.

Yeah, yeah.
Divide everything by 12 on the speed ------ conversions. Sorry about
that. But the point still stands.

Still, lots-O-weight at a considerable speed.

OOOps again.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote:
On Dec 5, 1:15 pm, Steven Sullivan wrote:
I do wonder, though, about 'square waves' on test records. How can anyone expect soemthing as
crude as a stylus in contact with a rotating platter, to accurately navigate the successive 90
degree angles of a square wave? Is there some 'trick' to it?

A "square wave: is not a square wave mechanically
on a record, for a number of reasons. First and
foremost, it's severely band-limited. Assume
a real top-end of 20 kHz, even 25 kHz and non phase-
linear response: no "90 corner" got impressed in
the vinyl to begin with.

Absolute best case you'd be looking at a rise time on
the order of 0.018-0.020 mS assuming critically
damped response, which is a pretty tall order.

Cutting a square wave, then, is modestly analogous to
hearing one -- that is, our ears also bandlimit them
into something that would not look 'square' in a visual
representation.

--
-S
I know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 07:48:33 -0800, Greg Wormald wrote
(in article ):

*snip*

Klaus

Interesting.

Some complications with the tests that may be relevant (if my memory
serves):

According to the Disk Doctor, washing with isopropyl alcohol can strip
plasticisers and increase wear.

This is apparently true as far as it goes. But one must take into
consideration the fact that most people don't wash any one record all that
often. I doubt seriously if one or two washings with alcohol-based cleaners
over the life of a record will harm it.

If you want the very best record cleaning possible, go to Old Colony Sound's
website:

http://www.audioxpress.com/bksprods/products/km-9.htm

and order Reg Williamson's record cleaning kit. This is essentially the same
system that Audio Empire used to sell back in the seventies. One spreads a
film of a thick goo all over one's record and then let's it dry. This water
soluble substance gets down into the bottom of the grooves where it
solidifies AROUND all of the detritus in the groove. One then takes a piece
of scotch tape and adheres it to the dried goo from near the label to the
outside edge of the record. With the tape firmly adhered to the dried goo
coating, one merely lifts the tape and a thin, clear film 'negative' of the
record peels off, taking ALL the dirt, oils, fingerprints dust, mold release
agents left over for manufacturing, everything off the record leaving it
pristine. Its the best record cleaning system EVER devised, It has nothing in
it to harm the vinyl, and does an even better job than the expensive VPI
vacuuming systems. It's only $20 for the starter system and refills are $5.

Repeated playing without resting times increases wear because of the
brittleness of the vinyl due to heating and deformation.

This too is true. the contact between the stylus and the groove at any given
point is fleeting, but the forces exerted at the actual contact point are
enormous and the temperature can momentarily approach that of melting the
vinyl. This stretches the groove. Now, given time, the plastic "memory"
nature of the vinyl will cause it to re-form its original molded shape, but
without this "rest" the vinyl can be permanently deformed. This reduces
high-frequency content and increases noise and distortion.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Dec 5, 4:01*pm, wrote:

The electrical output of the cartridge is proportional to the
instantaneous velocity of the stylus tip, to some reasonable
approximation. That voltage is then integrated by the
biggest feature of the RIAA playback equalization.

Right, but was the STR 111 square wave meant for RIAA playback or flat
playback? The physical interpretation of the square wave seems far
more meaningful to me when the RIAA curve is entirely ignored.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Dec 5, 11:14 pm, Steven Sullivan wrote:
Cutting a square wave, then, is modestly analogous to
hearing one -- that is, our ears also bandlimit them
into something that would not look 'square' in a visual
representation.

The concept of a perfect square wave is one that is
simultaneous with the concept of infinite energy
in pretty much any domain.

You could impress a true square wave on a record
surface, by any number of means OTHER than with
a standard cutter.

But now let's look at the requirements that imposes
on the stylus: it must change position between the
minimum and maximum in zero time. That means
it's moving at infinite velocity. Since in Newtonian
mechanics, e = 1/2 mv^2, the kinetic energy imparted
on the stylus is infinite. In Einsteinian electrodynamics,
this situation is not even remotely possible, as the
fastest velocity relative to any observer is the speed of
light, and any finite mass traveling at the speed of
light possesses infinite energy.

And let's even pretend that's possible. The output
is the differential with respect to time of the stylus
position, which means the cartridge must put out
infinite current into that 47 kOhm phono preamp
and that dissipates infinite p=power since P = i^2 R.

And even if we dealt with that, assume the lowly wire
connecting the cartridge to the preamp had infinitesimal
but non-zero capacitance: propogating voltages whose
rate of changes are infinite requires infinite current,
since I = C dv/dt.

In any case, I would not concern myself much with
the square wave performance of LP systems: first,
true square waves are impossible and second, even
the imperfect ones are pretty useless.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] dpierce.cartchunk.org@gmail.com is offline

On Dec 6, 2:50 pm, Richard Tollerton
wrote:
On Dec 5, 4:01 pm, wrote:

The electrical output of the cartridge is proportional to the
instantaneous velocity of the stylus tip, to some reasonable
approximation. That voltage is then integrated by the
biggest feature of the RIAA playback equalization.

Right, but was the STR 111 square wave meant for RIAA playback or flat
playback? The physical interpretation of the square wave seems far
more meaningful to me when the RIAA curve is entirely ignored.

To answwer that question, you need to understand what
"RIAA playback" means.

Playing back a velocity cartridge (ALL phono cartridges
are, in essence, velocity devices) without ANY frequency-
dependent equalization makes no sense. Take your
square wave on your record: the output of the cartridge
WILL NOT be a square wave: it will be a train of very
narrow pulses alternating positive and negative.

The output MUST be integrated (integrated as in the
mathematical operation of integration WRT time) for
it to be "more meaningful" to ANYBODY. Thus,
the dominant feature of what MOST people consider
the "RIAA curve:" an electrical integration WRT to time
which looks like a -6 dB/octave slope across the entire
bandwidth. You cann;t igore it entirely: it is required
by the very physics of the domain.

Now, the "RIAA" part is in fact the shelf you see from
about 500 to 2000 Hz, which exists to deal with the
physical limitations of the medium.

But, as I and other have pointed out SO many times
in the past, this portion (and indeed, the basic
integration portion) meets the criteria for minimum-
phase response (e.g., the frequency domain and time
domain are duals of one another through the Hilbert
transform). Imposing the RIAA equalization DOES NOT
restrict, in any way, the amount of information available
through the system in the context you seem to be
speaking.

Directly to your point: the physical interpretation of the
square wave will be IDENTICAL whether it's done in
a symmetrical non-RIAA system situation or a
symmetrical RIAA-equalized system.

But to a larger point, as identical as it is, square wave
response itself as a single-value indicator of quality
or performance is, essentially, useless. The domain of
knowable and useful parameters is far wider than that.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote:
Right, but was the STR 111 square wave meant for RIAA playback or flat
playback? The physical interpretation of the square wave seems far
more meaningful to me when the RIAA curve is entirely ignored.

To answwer that question, you need to understand what
"RIAA playback" means.

None of your following explanation is news to me, but thank you anyway
for repeating it.

Playing back a velocity cartridge (ALL phono cartridges
are, in essence, velocity devices) without ANY frequency-
dependent equalization makes no sense. Take your
square wave on your record: the output of the cartridge
WILL NOT be a square wave: it will be a train of very
narrow pulses alternating positive and negative.

Whoever said there ever was a square wave on the record? I certainly
didn't. I said there was a triangle wave on the record in question
(which is a wholly sensible signal to cut and track).

The output MUST be integrated (integrated as in the
mathematical operation of integration WRT time) for
it to be "more meaningful" to ANYBODY.

I disagree. Certain tests require constant-slope test grooves - I am
reminded most notably of Bauer's work on laquer springback, but also
White/Gust's work on VTA measurement with square wave-based test
bands. All of this is easily locatable in JAES. RIAA equalization (or
integration compensation in general) would only hinder such tests. A
square wave certainly doesn't cut to a triangle wave anymore if it's
subjected to inverse RIAA!

So to me, it is entirely reasonable (even expected!) that STR 111
would have a square wave track that was not cut with RIAA eq, and is
not expected to be reproduced with RIAA eq.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Greg Wormald wrote:
"According to the Disk Doctor, washing with isopropyl alcohol can
strip
plasticisers and increase wear."

Pisha, "Record cleaners revisited", Audio Magazine 1976, May, pp.
40-42, 44, 48, 50

"Record cleaning fluids are generally mild detergents such as Alconox
or a formulation containing varying strengths of alcohol. From our
experience, we question the use of these types of cleaners,
particularly since it has been established that contact with alcohol,
Alconox, and certain anionic detergents does, in effect, oxidize the
surface of the vinyl disc after a period of time. Alcohol, in almost
any strength, has been identified as one of the cleaning fluids that
leech out from the vinyl surface the important stabilizers and
lubricants necessary for the longevity of records. Stabilizers are
needed to counteract the high-heat conditions created by the stylus
and for subsequent vinyl integrity, while lubricants assist in good
stylus/surface contact and slippage. Unfortunately, these important
chemicals are extractable from the record surface by almost any
solution, but in varying degrees. By way of comparison, on a 0-100
continuum, extractions of fatty acid chains and the polyolefin groups
from vinyl records by three solutions are shown in the accompanying
table.

Fatty Acid and Olefin Extraction
(Volume/Volume GLC Quantification)

Solution/Contact Time/Relative % Extraction

60% Isopropyl Alcohol/10 min/38%
60% Isopropyl Alcohol/30 sec/12%

DII Fluid/10 min/8%
DII Fluid/30 sec/1.4%

Distilled Water/10 min/6.5%
Distilled Water/30 sec/0.9%

Fortunately, the integrity of the vinyl compound is not damaged to the
point of making a record unplayable until the cleaning solutions have
been applied to the record surface over long periods of time. The
process is insidious and eventually will cause damage. It appears that
any liquid put on the surface of a vinyl record will exhibit some
extraction characteristics, be it distilled water, alcohol, detergent,
or the Discwasher DII solution; there just isn't a perfect record
cleaner."

Klaus

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] klausrampelmann@hotmail.com is offline

Greg Wormald wrote:
"My memory made we wonder about the previous post on the wearing of
LP's by styli because I noticed they were washing the test LP's fairly
frequently with an alcohol solution, and (probably) with inadequate
rest
between playings."

G. Alexandrovich, “Disk recording and playback”,chapter 25 in
“Handbook for sound engineers” by G. Ballou, 2nd edition 1991

“Because of the small contact area that exists between the stylus tip
and the groove, the pressure against the groove wall can rise up to
many thousands of psi. For instance, if each wall receives 0.7 gram of
force applied through the contact area equal to 2 ten millionth of an
inch, the pressure is 7726 psi. It has been experimentally shown that
with such high pressures and force of friction between the stylus and
the vinyl, that the outer skin layer of the record material melts as
the tip slides over the plastic and then refreezes almost as fast as
it melted.”

Looks as if the audio myth of "rest-between-playings" has been laid to
rest many moons ago.

Klaus

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Greg Wormald Greg Wormald is offline

Greg Wormald wrote:
[...]

Hi Klaus,

It may have been put to rest--but the quote doesn't do it for me. That
quote is about melting, and would also seem to contradict the "minimal
wear" research quoted earlier in the thread. I suspect that melted vinyl
would quite easily move under thousands of pounds of pressure and
distort the groove modulations, although I am not a materials scientist
at all.

The explanations I remember had to do with plastic deformation, and
fragility until the deformation had fully relaxed. Have you any research
to suggest otherwise?

Greg

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Dec 10, 6:07*am, wrote:
Greg Wormald wrote:

[...]

Seems to me that one urban myth has been laid to rest by yet another
urban myth. I actually work from time to time with plasticized
vinyls. The melting point varies from formula to formula but I am
pretty sure we are talking about somewhere in the neighborhood of 300
to 350 degrees. That would mean the stylus would be sustaining
temepratures well in excess of 350 degrees if it is actually melting
the vinyl in the brief moment it is in contact with it at any given
point. And when I say well in excess I mean *way* well in in excess
given the extremely short duration of it's direct contact with any
single part of the vinyl. I am quite skeptical that the stylus and
subsequently the assmebly, the cateliver and the suspension are
sustaining these extreme temperatures for the duration of 20 minutes
or more when an entire record side is played. One would think that at
the very least, the dust and fine hairs that acumulate around the
stylus when one plays an uncleaned record would be going up in flames.
I doubt the cartridge could hold up under such conditions.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Greg Wormald" wrote in message

Greg Wormald wrote:
[...]

Not at all. Two different processes are involved. This one takes place at
the surface, while the plastic deformation takes place deeper in the vinyl.

It may have been put to rest--but the quote doesn't do it
for me. That quote is about melting, and would also seem
to contradict the "minimal wear" research quoted earlier
in the thread. I suspect that melted vinyl would quite
easily move under thousands of pounds of pressure and
distort the groove modulations, although I am not a
materials scientist at all.

The melting is so localized that any smoothing of the groove is pretty
small.

It's like the melting of the ice under the blade of an ice skate. One
difference is that the stylus is smooth, and lacks the sharp edges of an ice
skate blade. So, LP's don't get superficial scarring like ice rinks do.