Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

Default Luxman SQ38D

Does anyone have a schematic for a Luxman SQ38D? I mostly require info
on the tone amp section. The one I have has been modified and I need to
restore it to standard.

TIA
--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

"Trevor Wilson"

Does anyone have a schematic for a Luxman SQ38D? I mostly require info on
the tone amp section. The one I have has been modified and I need to
restore it to standard.

** The " SQ38D" was released in Japan in 1965 - do you really have one of
them ?

A long series of " SQ38 " amps were released including the "SQ-38D" in
1998.

http://www.onahighernote.com/luxman/?c=5&id=45

Earlier models had triode output valves ( 6RA8s ) made in Japan, later ones
uses regular 6BQ5s.

Luxman schems were always near impossible to obtain - certainly so here in
Australia.

..... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

On 11/13/2012 11:11 AM, Phil Allison wrote:
"Trevor Wilson"

Does anyone have a schematic for a Luxman SQ38D? I mostly require
info on the tone amp section. The one I have has been modified and
I need to restore it to standard.

** The " SQ38D" was released in Japan in 1965 - do you really have
one of them ?

**I REALLY do have one of them. In pristine nick too. This being the
beastie in question:

http://www.thevintageknob.org/luxman-SQ38D.html

A long series of " SQ38 " amps were released including the "SQ-38D"
in 1998.

http://www.onahighernote.com/luxman/?c=5&id=45

Earlier models had triode output valves ( 6RA8s ) made in Japan,
later ones uses regular 6BQ5s.

Luxman schems were always near impossible to obtain - certainly so
here in Australia.

**Some were. I have a half a filing cabinet drawer full. Mostly solid
state though. A legacy of being a major service agent for the product
from 1980 'till Interdyn let go of the product. In fact, I have a few
doubles if you need anything.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

"Trevor Wilson"
Phil Allison wrote:
"Trevor Wilson"

Does anyone have a schematic for a Luxman SQ38D? I mostly require
info on the tone amp section. The one I have has been modified and
I need to restore it to standard.

** The " SQ38D" was released in Japan in 1965 - do you really have
one of them ?

**I REALLY do have one of them. In pristine nick too. This being the
beastie in question:

http://www.thevintageknob.org/luxman-SQ38D.html

** Where do you get 6RA8 output triodes these days ??

Luxman schems were always near impossible to obtain - certainly so
here in Australia.

**Some were. I have a half a filing cabinet drawer full. Mostly solid
state though. A legacy of being a major service agent for the product
from 1980 'till Interdyn let go of the product.

** Luxman was sold and supported by L&G Hoskins in NSW through the 70s and
80s. They also sold Alpine cassette decks and Celestion speakers.

They adopted the name "Quality Hi-Fi" in 1976 and are still trading under
it.

http://www.qualityhifi.com.au/files/about_us.html

I was alluding to them when I said schems were impossible to get - there
was more chance of getting blood from a stone than having Gordon Hoskins
part with a schematic for any of his products.

What a Neanderthal.

..... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

"Phil Allison"

** Where do you get 6RA8 output triodes these days ??

** Found some he

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6R-A8-6RA8-N...em3c cbd573cd

Not cheap ...

..... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

On 11/13/2012 1:47 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
"Phil Allison"

** Where do you get 6RA8 output triodes these days ??

** Found some he

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6R-A8-6RA8-N...em3c cbd573cd

Not cheap ...

.... Phil

**Thanks for that. If I need them, I know I can probably buy them.
Fortunately, the amp is worth a couple of grand (I'll be selling it
after re-building), so a few hundred for new valves is worth it.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

On 11/13/2012 1:22 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
"Trevor Wilson"
Phil Allison wrote:
"Trevor Wilson"

Does anyone have a schematic for a Luxman SQ38D? I mostly require
info on the tone amp section. The one I have has been modified and
I need to restore it to standard.

** The " SQ38D" was released in Japan in 1965 - do you really have
one of them ?

**I REALLY do have one of them. In pristine nick too. This being the
beastie in question:

http://www.thevintageknob.org/luxman-SQ38D.html

** Where do you get 6RA8 output triodes these days ??

**Buggered if I know. The ones in the amp I have are OK (admittedly, a
very short test).

Luxman schems were always near impossible to obtain - certainly so
here in Australia.

**Some were. I have a half a filing cabinet drawer full. Mostly solid
state though. A legacy of being a major service agent for the product
from 1980 'till Interdyn let go of the product.

** Luxman was sold and supported by L&G Hoskins in NSW through the 70s and
80s. They also sold Alpine cassette decks and Celestion speakers.

**Actually, I believe Interdyn was the importer of Luxman since the
1960s. I think they had an exclusive with Hoskins 'till the early 1990s
for NSW. I could be wrong though. I recall trying to obtain information
from Hoskins during the 1980s. It was almost impossible.

They adopted the name "Quality Hi-Fi" in 1976 and are still trading under
it.

http://www.qualityhifi.com.au/files/about_us.html

I was alluding to them when I said schems were impossible to get - there
was more chance of getting blood from a stone than having Gordon Hoskins
part with a schematic for any of his products.

**Difficult, but not impossible. I did some service work for them for a
few years last century. I can probably still obtain a manual if I need
one. The trick is knowing who to talk to.

What a Neanderthal.

**You got that right.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

"Trevor Wilson"
Phil Allison wrote:
"Trevor Wilson"

** The " SQ38D" was released in Japan in 1965 - do you really have
one of them ?

**I REALLY do have one of them. In pristine nick too. This being the
beastie in question:

http://www.thevintageknob.org/luxman-SQ38D.html

** Where do you get 6RA8 output triodes these days ??

**Buggered if I know. The ones in the amp I have are OK (admittedly, a
very short test).

** The amp you have is not a 240V model, is it ?

More like 100V, straight from Japan via Ebay ??

What a Neanderthal.

**You got that right.

** LOL :-) ....

..... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
patrick-turner patrick-turner is offline

On 13 Nov, 11:11, "Phil Allison" wrote:
"Trevor Wilson"

Does anyone have a schematic for a Luxman SQ38D? I mostly require info on
the tone amp section. The one I have has been modified and I need to
restore it to standard.

** The " SQ38D" *was released in Japan in 1965 *- *do you really have one of
them ?

A long series of *" SQ38 " *amps were released including the "SQ-38D" in
1998.

http://www.onahighernote.com/luxman/?c=5&id=45

Earlier models had triode output valves ( 6RA8s ) made in Japan, later ones
uses regular 6BQ5s.

Luxman schems were always near impossible to obtain - certainly so here in
Australia.

.... *Phil

What's wrong with Trevor? All he has to do is sit there for awhile and
draw the schematic from what he sees, and then work out how it works,
or should work, bearing in mind any mods he should be able to see, and
then, once he understands what he's doing, he can properly check the
darn thing out. Even with a schematic, a good tube tech draws the
schematic anyway, and completely familiarizes himself where everything
is on the schematic. Its all so much more logical than trying to draw
a Luxman SS amp circuit. I've had 3 tubed Luxmans come to me for a
fix, one had 6868, and they were so expensive in 1995 that I replaced
them with EL34 & sockets after making the case taller. The next had
some strange OP tetrode but had two blown OPTs, so its still here
after 12 years. The next can with strange 12 pin tubes with 50V
heaters and a missing OPT which another tech had lost, so the OPT
musta fused. It stayed awhile, then I reused the chassis for something
far better of my own design with 2 x EL34, and some better wound-in-Oz
PT and OPTs. I reused a choke. Below Trev says he want to sell the
Luxman for $2,000 after paying hundreds for new rare tubes unlikely to
be available when the next time comes arounf for replacement. What's
anyone got for 2 grand? Just another lack lustre tube amp, with maybe
very used/traumatised OPTs after possible episodes of overheating
tubes. Luxmans are supposed to have "Mystique", good "Karma" or "Aura"
but I don't see it. I get a number of ancient POS amps coming here for
singing lessons and quit-smoking therapy. All very sacred old brands,
but not one is a sacred cow, so I usually gut the lot and start all
over again. Just finished a pair of POS Jadis SE300B amps. No other
way to make 'em behave.
Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On 11/13/2012 7:29 PM, patrick-turner wrote:
On 13 Nov, 11:11, "Phil Allison" wrote:
"Trevor Wilson"

Does anyone have a schematic for a Luxman SQ38D? I mostly require info on
the tone amp section. The one I have has been modified and I need to
restore it to standard.

** The " SQ38D" was released in Japan in 1965 - do you really have one of
them ?

A long series of " SQ38 " amps were released including the "SQ-38D" in
1998.

http://www.onahighernote.com/luxman/?c=5&id=45

Earlier models had triode output valves ( 6RA8s ) made in Japan, later ones
uses regular 6BQ5s.

Luxman schems were always near impossible to obtain - certainly so here in
Australia.

.... Phil

What's wrong with Trevor?

**Nothing wrong with me. Using a published schematic (if available) is
MUCH quicker and expedient that re-engineering an amplifier that has
been modified by a third party. I simply wish to restore the amp to it's
original spec in readiness for sale. The amplifier has been modified by
another tech such that it no longer performs as it did when first made.
I can certainly make some educated calculations about the appropriate
component values and choices, but it is much easier to use the original
components.

All he has to do is sit there for awhile and
draw the schematic from what he sees,

**And again: The tone amplifier stage has been substantially modified.
It no longer resembles the original topology. Drawing out what is there
would be a waste of time.

[...]

**Whether the amp is good, bad or indifferent, is not the issue and I
don't much care either way. It is a desirable object for many people.
Kinda like a Model T Ford. Try and explain to a T Ford owner that a 2012
Ford Mustang is a vastly superior vehicle in every way. You'll get
nowhere fast.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
patrick-turner patrick-turner is offline

On 14 Nov, 06:42, Trevor Wilson
wrote:
[...]

Trevor, you are such a great big fukken dope, you don't know that you
are one, and its been like this all the time I've known you.

I can't and won't help you. Go fix your amp like I've had to fix
dozens, all without schematics.

Just do it.

Patrick Turner

[...]

Trevor Wilsonwww.rageaudio.com.au- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

On 11/14/2012 10:57 AM, patrick-turner wrote:
On 14 Nov, 06:42, Trevor Wilson
wrote:
[...]

**Thanks for your input Patrick.

I'll ask you one question:

How would YOU go about ascertaining the original values of the
components in a tone amp stage, without access to the original
schematics, parts lists, or even the original parts from the amplifier?

If it makes you happy, continue with your innane insults. For my part, I
asked a reasonable question. I even received a reasonable response from
PA. Your response is nothing short of insane.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

FS: Luxman CL-40 Nis Nissen Marketplace 0 July 23rd 06 08:10 AM
Luxman lv103 Søren Vacuum Tubes 0 August 4th 04 07:49 PM
Luxman SQ 65 ? Phil Allison Vacuum Tubes 14 June 17th 04 11:41 AM
Luxman DZ-92 Remote Da S Tech 6 November 21st 03 10:43 AM