Default how to reduce background noise?

Hi, most revered group...
I experimented with audacity recently. In the background of the
recording I had made was a heavy humming sound, including various
undesirable sounds as I had held the mike in hand during the recording.
Q1. How do I reduce, or hopefully eliminate, the background humming,
using audacity?
Q2. Is it possible to painstakingly scour the track, and cut out any
particularly annoying sounds made from handling the mike?
Many of you seem quite expert in these matters.
Please help.
Thanks.

Joe Kesselman

Q1. How do I reduce, or hopefully eliminate, the background humming,
using audacity?

As others have said, the best way to avoid noise on your recordings is
not to record noise in the first place.

If it's truly unavoidable, some of the intelligent/adaptive filters,
such as Soundsoap or the simpler one that ships with Pyro, can help.
Barry Mann

In .com, on 10/29/05

at 06:44 PM, said:

Hi, most revered group...
I experimented with audacity recently. In the background of the
recording I had made was a heavy humming sound, including various
undesirable sounds as I had held the mike in hand during the
recording. Q1. How do I reduce, or hopefully eliminate, the background
humming, using audacity?
Q2. Is it possible to painstakingly scour the track, and cut out any
particularly annoying sounds made from handling the mike? Many of you
seem quite expert in these matters.

If you are stuck with noise on a priceless recording, do the best that
you can to clean it up. If the noise is a simple tone, this may not be
too hard. Since your microphone handling sounds are similar to music,
you'll have a tough time scrubbing them. If the music repeats, you may
be able to cut (the noisy section) and replace (with a similar, clean
section). If appropriate, you may be able to mask the microphone noise
by adding some applause or other sound.

----

We once made a test recording and had "hum". It was the first recording
after setting up the system and we were very annoyed considering all
the care that we had gone through to prevent that sort of thing. But
the "hum" wasn't exactly what you would expect from the usual ground
loops, induction, TV stations, dimmers, etc. Presently we found a fan
in the mens room behind the stage. After that we found a transformer
out in the hall that was acoustically picked up, then we found another
fan down the hall and around the corner. (Unfortunately, the building
was what it was, but we could turn off the mens room fan.)

spam:

wordgame:123(abc):14 9 20 5 2 9 18 4 at 22 15 9 3 5 14 5 20 dot 3 15
13 (Barry Mann)