Pankoski

Default Altec Lansing A7 Voice of the Theater speakers Info ????

I have a pair of these. Not sure of the year. All of the 416-8A drivers
in them have serial #'s in the 8000's if that could help date them. Rumor
has it that these came out of the former Hoosier dome in Indy when it was
renovated and became the RCA dome (I think??) What is the safe maximum
power input for these speakers? The stereo I use is 80 WPC, the PA system
is 150 WPC - I beleive I am not overdriving them with this much power,
right? The 416-8A drivers, do they have Alnico magnets? If I ever had
to get replacement drivers, what should I look for in terms of power rating,
efficiency, etc. I have a spare but you never know. Thanks for any info.
dave.

Richard Kuschel

I have a pair of these. Not sure of the year. All of the 416-8A drivers
in them have serial #'s in the 8000's if that could help date them. Rumor
has it that these came out of the former Hoosier dome in Indy when it was
renovated and became the RCA dome (I think??) What is the safe maximum
power input for these speakers? The stereo I use is 80 WPC, the PA system
is 150 WPC - I beleive I am not overdriving them with this much power,
right? The 416-8A drivers, do they have Alnico magnets? If I ever had
to get replacement drivers, what should I look for in terms of power rating,
efficiency, etc. I have a spare but you never know. Thanks for any info.
dave.

Really popular in the early to mid 70's

The magnets were generally Alnico, but it is easy to tell by looking at
them.the ceramics show a large gray flat plate.

The biggest problem is not having enough power, but it sounds as though you are
within safe limits as long as you do not distort the amplifier, which will take
out the horns.

Just don't blow them, replacement diaphragms are rare and expensive.

I drove a pair of them with a 100 watt/ channel amp and there was lots of
sound.

Low frequency should be cut at 40 Hz or so. The cabinet design is not designed
to handle lower than that.
Richard H. Kuschel

Michael Squires

In article ,
Richard Kuschel wrote:

I have a pair of these. Not sure of the year. All of the 416-8A drivers

See www.lansingheritage.org for some information.

My own experience with a pair of Altec 605A's (similar woofer, small
coaxial tweeter) was that my greatest danger was from permanent deafness
should I drive the speakers to high levels in a small room.

These turn up on eBay all the time, but they don't go cheaply.

Mike Squires
University 315-C's (3)
JBL C60 Sovereign I (S8R)
--

Mike Squires (mikes at cs.indiana.edu) 317 233 9456 (w) 812 333 6564 (h)
mikes at siralan.org 546 N Park Ridge Rd., Bloomington, IN 47408

Peter Larsen

Pankoski wrote:

I have a pair of these. Not sure of the year. All of the 416-8A drivers
in them have serial #'s in the 8000's if that could help date them. Rumor
has it that these came out of the former Hoosier dome in Indy when it was
renovated and became the RCA dome (I think??) What is the safe maximum
power input for these speakers?

Once you start hitting them with 40 watts then it gets very unsafe for
your ears.

The stereo I use is 80 WPC, the PA system
is 150 WPC - I beleive I am not overdriving them with this much power,
right? The 416-8A drivers, do they have Alnico magnets? If I ever had
to get replacement drivers, what should I look for in terms of power rating,
efficiency, etc.

There aren't that many 16" units on the market.

I have a spare but you never know. Thanks for any info.

http://www.audioheritage.org is of interest to you.

dave.

Pankoski

Hi Mike, we're almost neighbors. I live near Patricksburg IN, which is west
of Spencer. My wife works at Head Start in Bloomington.
I got some advice on this other 'topic' today, but maybe you can give me an
idea too. I have an old pair of Electro Voice Regency speaker cabinets I'm
trying to sell. A 1959 and a 1961 per EV. $100. No drivers, crossovers,
horns, just the cabinets. I have lots of people interested from internet
contacts, but nobody wants to pay the exhorbitant shipping charges of 2 - 69
lb cabinets. Anybody in your neck of the woods that you of interested in
this kinda stuff? Thanks for any info at all.
You're right about the hearing damage from those A-7's. Absolutely
incredibly efficient. Even more amazing is that the bass from those
Regency speakers was louder than the A-7's, but of course the mid/highs from
the A-7's buried the old Regency's. Maybe I'm assuming too much. Do you
know what the EV Regency's are? They were cab's designed by Paul Klipsch
for EV. They had a front firing 15" with a horn loaded port. You set the
cab's in a corner for optimum bass, the walls form the last 'fold' of the
horn. You gotta have corners to use them, and I won't soon, thus they
depart.
Dave Pankoski 812 859 4212