Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] shoppa@trailing-edge.com is offline

Default Fun with caps...

On Feb 13, 5:22 pm, François Yves Le Gal wrote:
It seems that the nice people at Vishay Sprague have more and more problems
with their Atom line of elcos. Vide some from a recent batch with inverted
shrink sleeves:http://www.aingeal.com/atom/Atom.jpg

Hmmm. Wonder how many mismarked caps have shipped...

It may not be a good sample but I've run across a wide variety of
Vishay/Sprague metalized polypropylenes that are mislabeled in the
past couple of years. I complain to the distributor and they send me
more mislabeled parts probably just pulled from the same bin (I can't
really blame the distributor, Vishay marked the whole bunch wrong!).
Left a sour taste in my mouth, but now in my Digikey catalog I have a
marked up page of "do not order these parts you will get a part
labeled that but which is clearly the wrong value".

Tim.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Feb 16, 8:56 am, François Yves Le Gal wrote:
On 16 Feb 2007 04:58:57 -0800, wrote:

It may not be a good sample but I've run across a wide variety of
Vishay/Sprague metalized polypropylenes that are mislabeled in the
past couple of years.

Batches of film caps from Sprague became more and more crappy in the mid
'80s and I stopped using them for a while, SB Electronics was spun-off and
got back to producing excellent caps in the late '80s. All of the SBE
715P/716P's versions have been really fine since, with AFAICT zero defects
and routinely much tighter tolerances than spec'ed. Fair prices too,
something I can't say of the Nichicon-sourced Sprague Atom's.

My labeling problems were not with orange drops, but with the blue-box
style metalized polypropylenes. When 0.22uF at 630V is half the size
of 0.01uF at 63V, something is obviously wrong!

Tim.