Posted to rec.audio.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.music
jtpryan jtpryan is offline

Default Best, but cost effective, sound card for a music server

I'm putting all of my CD's (~800) on a PC that currently has onboard
sound. I want to come out of this to my receiver and use the PC as a
music server. However, it seems to me that the quality would be
better with a dedicated sound card. Now, all I'm gonna do is listen
to music on this, no fancy mixing or anything. Would something like
the Audigy SE do it? Or should I find a solution with optical out?
Is it worth it?

-Jim

Posted to rec.audio.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.music
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"jtpryan" wrote in message
ps.com

I'm putting all of my CD's (~800) on a PC that currently
has onboard sound. I want to come out of this to my
receiver and use the PC as a music server. However, it
seems to me that the quality would be better with a
dedicated sound card. Now, all I'm gonna do is listen to
music on this, no fancy mixing or anything. Would
something like the Audigy SE do it? Or should I find a
solution with optical out? Is it worth it?

Low cost? Better than your typical onboard audio interface?

SB Live! 24 bit PCI - about $30

Frequency response (from 40 Hz to 15 kHz):+0.07 dB, -0.18 dB
Noise level, dB (A):-97.1 dB
Dynamic range, dB (A):93.5 dB
THD, %:0.0066
IMD, %:0.014
Stereo crosstalk, dB:-95.
IMD at 10 kHz, %:0.013

In comparison:

Current Realtek AC97 on a motherboard:

Frequency response (from 40 Hz to 15 kHz): +0.08 dB, -0.56 dB
Noise level, dB (A):-85.0 dB
Dynamic range, dB (A):84.8 dB
THD, %:0.018
IMD + Noise, %: 2.703
Stereo crosstalk, dB: -67.
IMD at 10 kHz, %:0.088

Posted to rec.audio.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.music
jtpryan jtpryan is offline

On Feb 15, 1:23 pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"jtpryan" wrote in message

ps.com

[...]

Thank you for the response. However, I'm really not too good with
specs. Is this good or bad?

-Jim

Posted to rec.audio.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.music

On 15 Feb 2007 12:14:04 -0800, "jtpryan" wrote:

Thank you for the response. However, I'm really not too good with
specs. Is this good or bad?

Unless you listen to acoustic recordings, on good/very good speakers,
you won't notice any improvement over the onboard sound card. If you
listen to MP3s you DEFINITELY won't notice the difference
Posted to rec.audio.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.music
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax Dirk Bruere at NeoPax is offline

jtpryan wrote:
I'm putting all of my CD's (~800) on a PC that currently has onboard
sound. I want to come out of this to my receiver and use the PC as a
music server. However, it seems to me that the quality would be
better with a dedicated sound card. Now, all I'm gonna do is listen
to music on this, no fancy mixing or anything. Would something like
the Audigy SE do it? Or should I find a solution with optical out?
Is it worth it?

-Jim

I can tell you that any X-Fi sounds better than the Audigy.
However, that's playing uncompressed (or lossless compressed) CDs on
speakers costing several thousand.

If you're talking MP3 then forget it.

--
Dirk

http://www.onetribe.me.uk - The UK's only occult talk show
Presented by Dirk Bruere and Marc Power on ResonanceFM 104.4
http://www.resonancefm.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.music
justin david justin david is offline

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 22:30:22 +0000, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax
wrote:

jtpryan wrote:
I'm putting all of my CD's (~800) on a PC that currently has onboard
sound. I want to come out of this to my receiver and use the PC as a
music server. However, it seems to me that the quality would be
better with a dedicated sound card. Now, all I'm gonna do is listen
to music on this, no fancy mixing or anything. Would something like
the Audigy SE do it? Or should I find a solution with optical out?
Is it worth it?

-Jim

I can tell you that any X-Fi sounds better than the Audigy.
However, that's playing uncompressed (or lossless compressed) CDs on
speakers costing several thousand.

If you're talking MP3 then forget it.

How would one of the Turtle Beach cards do, specifically the Santa
Cruz? I've seen it on ebay for about $20.
Posted to rec.audio.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.music
Geoff Geoff is offline

jtpryan wrote:
I'm putting all of my CD's (~800) on a PC that currently has onboard
sound. I want to come out of this to my receiver and use the PC as a
music server. However, it seems to me that the quality would be
better with a dedicated sound card. Now, all I'm gonna do is listen
to music on this, no fancy mixing or anything. Would something like
the Audigy SE do it? Or should I find a solution with optical out?
Is it worth it?

Your music server pc presumably only needs a soundcard for 'rough checking'
purposes. Only the client computer/s would need a high quality card. But
not if you are MP3ing the music at anything less that 256kbps - just use any
old junk for either soundcard.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.music
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"justin david" wrote in message
How would one of the Turtle Beach cards do, specifically the Santa
Cruz? I've seen it on ebay for about $20.

Perfectly adequate for the purpose IME.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.music

Mr.T wrote:
"justin david" wrote in message
How would one of the Turtle Beach cards do, specifically the Santa
Cruz? I've seen it on ebay for about $20.

Perfectly adequate for the purpose IME.

MrT.

On an obviously related topic, which is the best soundcard for playback?
Esp wrt s/n figures?

--
Dirk

http://www.onetribe.me.uk - The UK's only occult talk show
Presented by Dirk Bruere and Marc Power on ResonanceFM 104.4
http://www.resonancefm.com
Posted to rec.audio.tech,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.music
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Dirk Bruere at NeoPax" wrote in message
On an obviously related topic, which is the best soundcard for playback?
Esp wrt s/n figures?

Pretty hard to beat the Lynx or DAL cards if that's what you are after.
The M-Audio Audiophile 192 is hard to beat for value though.

MrT.

Just for Ludovic Audio Opinions 64 November 19th 05 04:17 PM
Creating Dimension In Mixing- PDF available on Request (112 pages0 kevindoylemusic Pro Audio 14 February 14th 05 05:58 PM