Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] mpuchalski@gmail.com is offline

Default Beyerdynamic m-55

can anyone give me some background on this microphone, ie. intended
application, comparable-sounding mic, enjoyable anecdotes? for those
who aren't sure what model i'm referring to, it sort of has the body
shape of a smaller, boxier 421. any info would be appreciated, as i
couldn't find anything in the archives or on the web.

thanks,

Mati

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Feb 6, 10:49 am, wrote:
can anyone give me some background on this microphone, ie. intended
application, comparable-sounding mic, enjoyable anecdotes?

From a 1978 catalog:

"Dynamic moving coil microphones, Ominidirectional, for amateur
purposes. For use with any type of tape recorder. Wide frequency
response, solid metal housing, elegant styling. It can be connected to
practically any tape recorder. The M55 is supplied with table stand
ST300/50 and captive cable."

Frequency response 70-16,000 Hz, but from the graph I wouldn't depend
on it much other than about 150 - 8,000 Hz. Impedance 500 ohms.
Available with either 3-pin connector (probably the smaller European
one, not an XLR) or "jack plug" (probably 1/4" TS).

Not a classic, other than for collectors of old home tape recorders.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
can anyone give me some background on this microphone, ie. intended
application, comparable-sounding mic, enjoyable anecdotes? for those
who aren't sure what model i'm referring to, it sort of has the body
shape of a smaller, boxier 421. any info would be appreciated, as i
couldn't find anything in the archives or on the web.

It's a consumer mike, high-Z unbalanced output as I recall. For a while
they were bundled free with some of the Uher home recorders, with a 5-pin
DIN on the end. Omnidirectional, like most of those.

Give it a try and see. It's probably useful for something. Even the
worst mike Beyer or EV ever made is worth picking up for ten bucks at
the hamfest.