haligonab

Default Beyerdynamic MC 740

Howdy,

I've recently seen 2 of these on ebay. The first sold for a little
more than $500. The second auction ends in 15 minutes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I'm well aware of Beyerdynamic's reputation, and presently own an
M500, an M260 and an M69. However, a Google search didn't turn up any
significant reviews.

I'm well aware that a Swiss Army knife is seldom the BEST tooI for any
job and was hoping that some of you folks might have experiences to
share.

Thanks!
Jeff Jasper

Haligonab wrote:

I'm well aware of Beyerdynamic's reputation, and presently own an
M500, an M260 and an M69. However, a Google search didn't turn up any
significant reviews.

I'm well aware that a Swiss Army knife is seldom the BEST tooI for any
job and was hoping that some of you folks might have experiences to
share.

If you do a Google search of this newsgroup, you will find some comments
from several regulars including myself. The MC740 was my first
multi-pattern condensor mic, and even tho I now have several alternatives, I
still like it a lot. If you like the bright character of your M500, the
MC740 is also very bright, yet has good bass. It's slightly brighter than a
TLM-103 or an AKG 414 TL-II.

IMO, at $500 it's a steal. But I'd call a U89, TLM170, 414 ULS, or Rode
NT2000 more of a Swiss Army Knife. The 740 is a good choice for sources for
which you'd like a very bright, laser-etched sound.

Jeff Jasper
www.jeffjasper.com

Scott Dorsey

haligonab wrote:

I've recently seen 2 of these on ebay. The first sold for a little
more than $500. The second auction ends in 15 minutes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I'm well aware of Beyerdynamic's reputation, and presently own an
M500, an M260 and an M69. However, a Google search didn't turn up any
significant reviews.

It's not a bad mike, but they never sold many condenser mikes of any sort
in the US, so there's not much of a reputation. I have used them and liked
them, but it's been 20 years so I don't really remember that much about them.

Ty Ford

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 21:31:00 -0400, haligonab wrote
(in article ):

Howdy,

I've recently seen 2 of these on ebay. The first sold for a little
more than $500. The second auction ends in 15 minutes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&sspage name=

STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I'm well aware of Beyerdynamic's reputation, and presently own an
M500, an M260 and an M69. However, a Google search didn't turn up any
significant reviews.

I'm well aware that a Swiss Army knife is seldom the BEST tooI for any
job and was hoping that some of you folks might have experiences to
share.

Thanks!

Try a new Rode NT2-a.

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Paul Stamler

"Ty Ford" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 21:31:00 -0400, haligonab wrote
(in article ):

I'm well aware of Beyerdynamic's reputation, and presently own an
M500, an M260 and an M69. However, a Google search didn't turn up any
significant reviews.

I'm well aware that a Swiss Army knife is seldom the BEST tooI for any
job and was hoping that some of you folks might have experiences to
share.

Thanks!

Try a new Rode NT2-a.

The two mics are comparable in functions but *not* in sound; the NT2a is
much flatter up top. Apples and grapefruits.

Peace,
Paul

Dr. Dolittle

Ty Ford wrote:

Try a new Rode NT2-a.

Do you think you could tell us a little more than that? Like why?
hank alrich

Dr. Dolittle wrote:

Ty Ford wrote:

Try a new Rode NT2-a.

Do you think you could tell us a little more than that? Like why?

Look for a review at Ty's website?

--
ha
Ty Ford

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 01:23:43 -0400, hank alrich wrote
(in article ):

Dr. Dolittle wrote:

Ty Ford wrote:

Try a new Rode NT2-a.

Do you think you could tell us a little more than that? Like why?

Look for a review at Ty's website?

--
ha

Actually, I only have the older Rode NT2 up there. There new one is quieter
and doesn't have the annoying +5 at 11kHz peak the earlier one has.

I wasn't commissioned to write a review of it, but I do have one here and
have been using it. I also have the "big brother" NT2000, which is nicer than
the NTK/NT1000 for the same reasons.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Ty Ford

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 19:55:09 -0400, Dr. Dolittle wrote
(in article ):

hank alrich wrote:
Dr. Dolittle wrote:

Ty Ford wrote:

Try a new Rode NT2-a.

Do you think you could tell us a little more than that? Like why?

Look for a review at Ty's website?

--
ha

excuse me?

www.tyford.com --Online Archive ---Mic (and other reviews)

Help yourself.

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Dr. Dolittle

Ty Ford wrote:

www.tyford.com --Online Archive ---Mic (and other reviews)

Help yourself.

So someone is asking about Mustangs and you come on here and say buy a
Corvette.

Thanks a lot. Not.
haligonab

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 07:02:47 GMT, "Jeff Jasper"
wrote:

Haligonab wrote:

[...]

Thanks Jeff.

I did the Google search first, and not much turned up in the way of
reviews. That's why I'm here looking for real-world info from those
who may have actual experience with the MC740. It's good to hear that
you're happy with yours. I was mostly interested in hearing about any
particular strenghths or weaknesses in any of the polar patterns.

I agree. At the price point (compared to street price) it looked too
good to be true, but I know that even strong mic producers can lay an
egg now and then. I'm not really looking for alternatives. Just
opinions I don't run an active studio at this time, but I AM looking
to build a nice mic locker. Thanks!

Steve
Jeff Jasper

Steve (Haligonab) wrote:

I was mostly interested in hearing about any
particular strenghths or weaknesses in any of the polar patterns.

Beyer's plots for the MC740 seem to sound accurate, unlike the published
plots for the AKG TL-II which were a lie. Download the manual .pdf from
www.beyerdynamic.com, take a good look at that high boost, and believe it.
AKG's published plots for the new XL-II now do indicate the very broad
upper-bass peak which gave the TL-II a far heavier sound than the ruler-flat
"wishful thinking" Marketing Dept. plots indicated, but which were
abundantly obvious on the individual graphs and in use. As there were no
individual plots included with the 740 I bought new thru Full Pompous, I'm
using my ears, and what I hear matches what I see from Beyer Marketing.
Honesty appreciated. And thank you AKG -- finally.

I don't recall any weird lumpiness in the MC740's polar patterns, either on
paper or in use. It probably helps that it's really a medium-diaphram mic
(3/4" or ~20mm). The consistency of tone from pattern-to-pattern is
remarkable. The highs fall off, as you'd expect, the further off-axis you
go.

I especially like the hypercardioid pattern, which cuts room noise
considerably compared to the cardioid. A friend of mine appreciates the
reduced proximity effect of the wide-cardioid pattern for use on his crew of
mic-eating public radio announcers. I'm also fond of the figure-8, which in
my (voiceover) use does a good job of nulling the slap from my desk. I
guess the rest of the room is far enough back that reflections and noise to
the back side of the mic aren't a problem. And again, the frequency
response does not seem to change; no annoying peak buildup or early HF
rolloff.

Yet, the figure-8 is the only pattern with which you might have issues. The
back side of the mic is not as bright as the front, so that might or might
not be a significant problem using the 740 as the side mic in an M-S
configuration. Don't know, never tried it. It is NOT due to reversed
polarity of that side of the mic compared to headphones, the difference in
brightness really is there. But that proved to be an advantage in a
2-voicer with a male on the bright side and a female on the more tame side.

Because of the front-to-back difference, and the consistency of tone no
matter which pattern is selected, I wonder if the brightness boost might be
due to electrical rather than mechanical resonance. I wonder if internal
electronic EQ is applied only to the front diaphragm, and the rear diaphragm
left flat (as is seen in the frequency response of the single-pattern
MC834). Another cause for this question is the fact that the low-cut filter
seems to be applied only to the front diaphragm. Someone more competent
than I will have to be the one to answer that.

The MC740 doesn't have the extremely hot output or extremely low self-noise
of several newer mics, but neither has been a problem for me. Still, the
pad did come in handy on that one guy.... As a matter of fact, one day
while I was at lunch my boss mistakenly recorded that guy on the "back side"
of the hypercardioid pattern. It still sounded surprisingly good. But with
the hot side toward the room, one could clearly hear that the man was
bellowing to an unbelievable degree. It was absolutely hilarious! Now I
wish I'd made a party CD of that session and a compilation of the
phenomenally filthy comments and stories he told at every session.

The 740 has good reach, and "objects in the mirror may be further than they
appear." I'm sure the presence boost helps that, and distant sources sound
wonderfully clear.

The literature makes no mention of whether it's transformer or actively
coupled. It has a relatively low current draw, so I assume that it's
transformer coupled. Whatever, it sounds good to me, and if you can hear
the difference, more power to you -- literally and figuratively.

Beyer really missed an opportunity to capture a market during AKG's "dark
years" when only the ULS was available. I suspect that the MC740 might have
the sound some engineers hope for when looking for a "really good" C414EB.

Jeff Jasper
www.jeffjasper.com

haligonab

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 08:37:29 GMT, "Jeff Jasper"
wrote:

Steve (Haligonab) wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the very detailed real-world review! Precisely the info
I've been looking for. Very helpful. Thanks again.