Posted to rec.audio.tubes
tubegarden tubegarden is offline

Default RAT TOM substitute

Hi RATs!

Tubes and tube circuits are well documented ... someplace.

Not everyone on the Internet can traipse to the local University to
study old tomes. Well, not just yet. It seems inevitable that the
world's greatest libraries will lead and put it all online. Then
everyone else will follow. Me, too! is not noble, but, it often get
things done which should be done. It also powers mob rule, which just
gets nasty, like many individuals pretend to think everything should
be

Then, those who can muster the courage can just look it up.
Eventually.

Not that all the printed matter from history is free or errors and
downright bull****, but, with easy access to other texts, these will
become apparent to anyone who does not take false pride from the
misinformation.

____

Theory of Operation Manual (TOM)

These were created by the Army to give ignorant fools who suddenly
became radio repairmen when the real Wizard got shot or the black clap
a way to figure out what the hell is wrong with all these farging
radio thingies.

Yes, the same guys fixed the audio amps on the movie projectors, but,
they rarely failed. Even the cruellest War Machineries know movies are
way more important than some box they use to tell you to charge into
some town and get yourself blown to smithereens.

____

Tubes are just little machines which have some qualities we can use
for making music boxes

They can do other neat stuff, too. I am so old some of the computers
at Univac, while I worked there, really used tubes.

Same tubes, plus or minus.

Not only was Initial Program Load not in ROM, the power up sequence
was done manually, and took several days, not picoseconds.

Everyone appreciates their own Hurculean efforts. And forgets their
predecessors. It was a big deal when Univac got the 1107 to power up
in under 24 hours. Things change.

The guys that built the first atom bomb had very real concerns the
event might trigger the incineration of the entire planet's
atmosphere. It didn't. Whew, huh? I assume there have been and will be
planets where the composition of the atmosphere is not so stable.
Rough Universe. Probably makes pretty images, if your telescope is far
enough away to not be destroyed.

____

So, since tube amps and their cousins, computers, are related, let us
dispense with whining about how stupid your PC is.

Machines are not stupid ... but, stupid is real We can get over
it ...

Happy Ears!
Al

cheap Rycote windsock substitute ? Ray Thomas Pro Audio 0 November 23rd 04 10:22 AM
Substitute for headset jack stacey malden Marketplace 2 January 16th 04 10:52 AM
substitute for sytek MPX4a? ThomasT Pro Audio 6 October 11th 03 12:43 AM
Vinyl substitute? jriegle Tech 15 September 30th 03 11:38 PM
Possible Tantalum Substitute Scott Dorsey Pro Audio 11 September 27th 03 07:19 PM