Al.

Default Album covers.

Hi everyone. I have several LP's from the early 80's but the covers
are in bad shape. Question: Is there a way to copy the album covers
art? I will clean all the LP's and put them in new sleeves and
cardboard jackets, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Al.
Dave Platt

Hi everyone. I have several LP's from the early 80's but the covers
are in bad shape. Question: Is there a way to copy the album covers
art? I will clean all the LP's and put them in new sleeves and
cardboard jackets, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

When I transfer out-of-print LPs to CD-R, I usually run the album
cover through a scanner. The covers are too wide to fit on a standard
letter- or legal-page-size flatbed scanner, so I scan each cover in
two "slices" and then use software to stitch the two scans back into a
single image. On occasion (fairly rare) I'll go in with an image
processing program such as The GIMP and retouch some of the artwork a
bit, if it's scratched or faded.

I can print out the artwork onto jewel-case tray cards, booklets, etc.
In principal I could take the files to a professional service bureau
which has a wide-bed color inkjet or laser printer, and produce
full-size reproductions to be glued onto a new LP jacket, but I've
never bothered to do that.

Just doing the scanning-and-stitching is a quick operation - the
stitching is done with a combination of free software (the netpbm
package) and software I've written myself, and requires little human
intervention.

Retouching images manually takes a lot longer.

You might want to see if anyone has put cover-artwork scans for the
albums you're interested in, out on a web site somewhere. If so you
could perhaps download them (or email in a request and see if you can
get the original high-resolution uncompressed TIFF scan files) and
save yourself a bunch of work.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Bruce J. Richman

kartbaan wrote:

Hi everyone. I have several LP's from the early 80's but the covers
are in bad shape. Question: Is there a way to copy the album covers
art? I will clean all the LP's and put them in new sleeves and
cardboard jackets, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Al.

I don't know of any way to cover album art. However, if you're patient and
willing to spend a small amount for a jacket (after all, even blank jackets
cost about a $ 1.00 a piece), you might want to consider the following
approach.

I have some albums whose covers were pretty well destroyed due to water damage.
If the record itself is in good shape (say VG++ to NM), then I look on eBay to
find as cheap a copy as possible of the record in question - preferably even as
part of a large lot of records. If I can obtain the album cover cheap enough,
I bid. Or it's part of a lot, I *may* be able to sell off the LP's I don't
want for my collection individually and cover my expenses in purchasing the
lot.

This approach takes some time, but you can use eBay's notification feature to
help in part with this task.

Bruce J. Richman