Mr. Bigstuff

Default How to get more power

I have a 1993 Cadillac Seville STS with the northstar engine. I had the
biggest alternator I could made for the car (200 amps) and a yellow top up
front. There is a 10f cap block in the trunk. I am running a Directed 1500d
and would like to get the Directed 1100d5 to power my interiors. Up front I
have a new set of Blaupunkt Overdrive 5.25 (ODx542) 60w RMS and in the rear
I have Blaupunkt Overdrive ODx693?? I think. The 6x9s have seperate
connectors for the highs and the woofer. I think the woofer takes 150w RMS
and the highs take 75w RMS. Would the 1100d5 be the right directed amp to
run them. Also am I going to have enough power (voltage\amperage) for the
1500d and the 1100d5? If not what do I need to do to get the power to the
amps?

Brandonb

If I remember correctly, the 1100d5 is a 5-channel amp with the 5th
being essentially a 600-watt (at 1-ohm) class D amp channel. The other 4
channels would work find for you but with the 1500d you already have,
its kind of like paying for something you're not even going to use. You
may as well just get a 4 channel amp for the interior speakers and save
yourself some money

Brandonb

Mr. Bigstuff wrote:

I have a 1993 Cadillac Seville STS with the northstar engine. I had the
biggest alternator I could made for the car (200 amps) and a yellow top up
front. There is a 10f cap block in the trunk. I am running a Directed 1500d
and would like to get the Directed 1100d5 to power my interiors. Up front I
have a new set of Blaupunkt Overdrive 5.25 (ODx542) 60w RMS and in the rear
I have Blaupunkt Overdrive ODx693?? I think. The 6x9s have seperate
connectors for the highs and the woofer. I think the woofer takes 150w RMS
and the highs take 75w RMS. Would the 1100d5 be the right directed amp to
run them. Also am I going to have enough power (voltage\amperage) for the
1500d and the 1100d5? If not what do I need to do to get the power to the
amps?

John Durbin

No - you're throwing away the 600 watt 5th channel (sub only) in the
1100d5, also the matching model (cosmetically) would be the 1200/5 (same
amp but year newer that matches the 1500d).

You can get the same power as the 4 channel part of the 1100d5 with a
600/4 (or the older 4500 if you don't need them to match exactly).

JD

Mr. Bigstuff wrote:

I have a 1993 Cadillac Seville STS with the northstar engine. I had the
biggest alternator I could made for the car (200 amps) and a yellow top up
front. There is a 10f cap block in the trunk. I am running a Directed 1500d
and would like to get the Directed 1100d5 to power my interiors. Up front I
have a new set of Blaupunkt Overdrive 5.25 (ODx542) 60w RMS and in the rear
I have Blaupunkt Overdrive ODx693?? I think. The 6x9s have seperate
connectors for the highs and the woofer. I think the woofer takes 150w RMS
and the highs take 75w RMS. Would the 1100d5 be the right directed amp to
run them. Also am I going to have enough power (voltage\amperage) for the
1500d and the 1100d5? If not what do I need to do to get the power to the
amps?

Mr. Bigstuff

Right now I have an Audiobahn 75x4 powering the fronts and the highs on the
6x9s. And a old Alpine 30x2 hooked upto the woofers on the 6x9s and the
1500d hooked upto the subs. It looks like hell and I hate Audiobahn so I was
looking at the 1100d5 as a possible replace ment for the Audiobahn and
Alpine. The price is right and DEI is far better than Audiobahn. BTW the pic
shown on the website looks the same as my amp..is there something im missing
or are they using the wrong pic? I dont mind some minor differences in
apperance as long as they are close. I still need to know if I would have
enough power for both of the amps...I dont want to ruin them by not giving
them enough.

Mr. Bigstuff wrote:

I have a 1993 Cadillac Seville STS with the northstar engine. I had the
biggest alternator I could made for the car (200 amps) and a yellow top
up front. There is a 10f cap block in the trunk. I am running a Directed
1500d and would like to get the Directed 1100d5 to power my interiors.
Up front I have a new set of Blaupunkt Overdrive 5.25 (ODx542) 60w RMS
and in the rear I have Blaupunkt Overdrive ODx693?? I think. The 6x9s
have seperate connectors for the highs and the woofer. I think the
woofer takes 150w RMS and the highs take 75w RMS. Would the 1100d5 be
the right directed amp to run them. Also am I going to have enough power
(voltage\amperage) for the 1500d and the 1100d5? If not what do I need
to do to get the power to the amps?

Daniel Snooks

The reason they are suggesting that the 5th channel is a waste, is because
typically you don't want to be sending sub-bass info to anything except the
dedicated subs. If, however, you had a crossover network that would mantain
the 6x9s as midbass drivers using the 5th channel then I suppose it would
work out.

Obviously money isn't the main concern in this scenario.

Mr. Bigstuff wrote:

I have a 1993 Cadillac Seville STS with the northstar engine. I had the
biggest alternator I could made for the car (200 amps) and a yellow top
up front. There is a 10f cap block in the trunk. I am running a Directed
1500d and would like to get the Directed 1100d5 to power my interiors.
Up front I have a new set of Blaupunkt Overdrive 5.25 (ODx542) 60w RMS
and in the rear I have Blaupunkt Overdrive ODx693?? I think. The 6x9s
have seperate connectors for the highs and the woofer. I think the
woofer takes 150w RMS and the highs take 75w RMS. Would the 1100d5 be
the right directed amp to run them. Also am I going to have enough power
(voltage\amperage) for the 1500d and the 1100d5? If not what do I need
to do to get the power to the amps?

Brandonb

You are currently essentially bi-amping your rears if I understand your
configuration correctly. If you use the 1100d5 you would be giving that
channel quite a bit of amplification, but it will be mono, and also
subject to any crossover settings that the amp has built-in, which is
designed as a subwoofer channel, not a midrange channel. I'm not sure a
mono class-d amp is the ideal thing to use for it, but that's entirely
up to you. You can try using a 4-channel amp and just parallel the 6x9s
down to (I'm assuming here) a 2-ohm load and get some extra power from
that, or if you wanted to keep with the bi-amping trend, a 6-channel and
have 4 channels for rear and 2 for front. This does all assume you
prefer more sound coming from the rear instead of the front also, as
your setup would seem to imply. I guess the point is, just because the
6x9s CAN be hooked up to separate channels for a lot of power, doesn't
mean they NEED to be, especially if its not how you'd prefer it.

Brandonb

Mr. Bigstuff wrote:

I have a 1993 Cadillac Seville STS with the northstar engine. I had the
biggest alternator I could made for the car (200 amps) and a yellow top
up front. There is a 10f cap block in the trunk. I am running a Directed
1500d and would like to get the Directed 1100d5 to power my interiors.
Up front I have a new set of Blaupunkt Overdrive 5.25 (ODx542) 60w RMS
and in the rear I have Blaupunkt Overdrive ODx693?? I think. The 6x9s
have seperate connectors for the highs and the woofer. I think the
woofer takes 150w RMS and the highs take 75w RMS. Would the 1100d5 be
the right directed amp to run them. Also am I going to have enough power
(voltage\amperage) for the 1500d and the 1100d5? If not what do I need
to do to get the power to the amps?

Scott Johnson

Mr. Bigstuff wrote:

I have a 1993 Cadillac Seville STS with the northstar engine. I had the
biggest alternator I could made for the car (200 amps) and a yellow top
up front. There is a 10f cap block in the trunk. I am running a
Directed 1500d and would like to get the Directed 1100d5 to power my
interiors. Up front I have a new set of Blaupunkt Overdrive 5.25
(ODx542) 60w RMS and in the rear I have Blaupunkt Overdrive ODx693?? I
think. The 6x9s have seperate connectors for the highs and the woofer.
I think the woofer takes 150w RMS and the highs take 75w RMS. Would the
1100d5 be the right directed amp to run them. Also am I going to have
enough power (voltage\amperage) for the 1500d and the 1100d5? If not
what do I need to do to get the power to the amps?

From reading the manual from the website, these appear to have dual voice
coils on the woofer of the 6*9. meaning full range sound is run thru the
whole speaker, then a separate coil is available for pumping extra power in
to increase bass response. If he has a 2 ohm stable, 4-channel amp. he could
essentially run the rears as 2 ohm speakers off the rear channels. He
doesn't need a 5-channel amp. A good 4-channel amp will be enough.

Daniel Snooks

Mr. Bigstuff wrote
The manual seems to show the woofer hooked up to "subwoofer amplifier".
Take a look
http://www.gexaudio.com.pl/sklep/Ins...odx-manual.pdf

Look at the 6x9s

There seems to be a slight miscommunication here ...

I understand that you have 6x9's that can be bi-amped. That is not the
issue.

You are planning to purchase a 5-channel amp so that you can bi-amp your
6x9's ... you don't NEED to do that. We are not saying that you CAN'T do it,
just that it is a waste of money.

The 6x9's you have are designed to be used in a system that doesn't have
dedicated subwoofers. However, you do have dedicated subs ... so it becomes
unnecessary to run extra channels for the 6x9's.

AND ... if you still wanted to bandpass the 6x9 woofers on their own
channel, it would be better to use a channel that is not class D (the 5th
channel of the DEI is class D) due to the higher frequency range you would
be playing at (probably something like 80Hz - 1kHz)

SO .. the manual is showing all of the possible scenarios given the entire
range of speakers in the Overdrive series, not just what is done with your
bi-amp 6x9's. That is why they show a diagram with a subwoofer running from
a dedicated amp. Notice that there is no diagram that shows the 6x9's
bi-amped AND and subwoofer also with it's own amp (which is what you would
end up with)

Does any of the above make sense :-/ ?

Dan Snooks

Mr. Bigstuff

Ok thanks I follow all of that. That leaves me with only 2 more questions. I
want to spend the money and get the correct Directed amp that will match
closely my 1500d. I seem to have an ugly gap between my mids and lows but if
you guys think its a better idea to get a 4ch amp that is what I will do.
Ill get a 4ch and just play with the crossovers. Does a directed 600/4 sound
good? Or is there a better choice? Thanks.
"Daniel Snooks" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Daniel Snooks

Mr. Bigstuff wrote
Ok thanks I follow all of that. That leaves me with only 2 more questions.
I want to spend the money and get the correct Directed amp that will match
closely my 1500d. I seem to have an ugly gap between my mids and lows but
if you guys think its a better idea to get a 4ch amp that is what I will
do. Ill get a 4ch and just play with the crossovers. Does a directed 600/4
sound good? Or is there a better choice? Thanks.

JD will have the best idea what DEI amps work well together. As for the lack
of midbass, that most likely is an issue with your front component speakers.
There are a lot of variables and if you want to let us know what your
current power/crossover/location setups (for the front speakers) are,
perhaps we can give some advice on what to tweak.

Dan