Chris T. Young

Default Heavy Guitar sound?

I would recommend experimenting on your microphone placement. Use an SM57 if
you have one instead of the 4050. I don't think that 4050 is going to be
very complimentary to a guitar being played through a Marshall. Also, try
layering the same guitar part a few times to start.

-Chris

wrote in message
Hey folks,

I'm having trouble getting a nice guitar sound ala RAGE AGAINST THE
MACHINE songs like
"Renegades of Funk" and "Bulls on Parade"

The project I'm working on needs hard guitar with minimal or NO harmony,
just doubled guitar/bass riffs....again, best well known example is Rage
against the machine.

Any tips to fattening up the sound?
I know this is a general question, but if there's something that
helps...ie types of compression & amount etc.

No matter what I do it sounds weak in comparison and I use some decent
mastering plugins as well

I'm using Cubase Audio 5, Behringer MX2442A mixer, AT4050 mic on a
Marshal amp with a few pedals.

P.S. DO NOT HIT REPLY, email me at:

thanks!
Anthony

1000101

Hi Chris:

I've never though of that before. I always used the "ideal" mic placemnet -
(just on the outside of the cone).
Any suggestions on other mic placemanet stratagies?

thanks
01

wrote in message
Hey folks,

I'm having trouble getting a nice guitar sound ala RAGE AGAINST THE
MACHINE songs like
"Renegades of Funk" and "Bulls on Parade"

The project I'm working on needs hard guitar with minimal or NO harmony,
just doubled guitar/bass riffs....again, best well known example is Rage
against the machine.

Any tips to fattening up the sound?
I know this is a general question, but if there's something that
helps...ie types of compression & amount etc.

No matter what I do it sounds weak in comparison and I use some decent
mastering plugins as well

I'm using Cubase Audio 5, Behringer MX2442A mixer, AT4050 mic on a
Marshal amp with a few pedals.

P.S. DO NOT HIT REPLY, email me at:

thanks!
Anthony

Mike Pritchard

The best strategy is to experiment. Keep trying different placements (closer to
the cab, farther, more off center, more on, etc.). There really are no "rules"
here. It's what sounds the best, that counts. Sometimes, you have to keep
working on it for a while.

Here's an example that worked for me to get a pretty "big" sound...

A '57, just about at the edge of the cone and almost touching the grill cloth.
Then, another mic...can't remember exactly what we used, as it was a long time
ago (Sennheiser of some kind) on a stand, at the end of a hallway (20 feet or
so), pointing away from the cab, to pick up the reflections. My cab was pointed
down the hall. HUGE, awsome sound!! (Amp was an old JCM 800/2204 with 4 x 12
cab)

Just keep experimenting!

Mike