inkedyouth inkedyouth is offline
Junior Member

Default Some advice & pointers

Hey guys,

am going to be buying a mediocre second hand car soon....
as such im going to be installing some aftermarket
speakers,subs etc..

as the car is going to prob last for about 2-3 yrs.....

i am looking to install active subs, new head unit, 6x9's ,
and front door panel speakers.....all of it will be coming
out when i get a new car in a few years time..

i have researched and scoured the net for info
and how to wire it all up..

from what i have "googlearnt"
(please correct me if i am wrong ..any pointers would def help)..

the active sub still needs 12v power source running
from the car batt (fused) ...sub will need to be ground to the car chassis...and on/off lead to head unit..correct ?

removing door panels to refit the new speakers,
..can these run straight off the headunit amp ?

would the 6x9 's also need to be grounded ? or do
they ground via the headunit ?...and would they
need there own dedicated amp ? ...if not is there
a minimum head unit amp out that is recommended for 6x9's ?
...bearing in mind they will also be running the door panel speakers

thanks in advance !

*** added this...its kinda how i se it in my head on how im going
to do the install.....if there are any obvious errors ..please let me know***

Last edited by inkedyouth : May 13th 10 at 02:10 PM Reason: to add the diagram
Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , inkedyouth wrote:

[...]

[image: http://i44.tinypic.com/34jdmb7.jpg]

Speakers today commonly use two hot leads and you can't ground either
from a HU, but power amps tipically use one hot lead, unless its
bridged, which means two hot leads.

You can ground speakers from HU's, but then you have to leave one floating
which cuts voltage in half or 1/4 power, not loud at all.
Power ground is attached to chassis, and its not good to attach speakers
to one side of ground. I,m not saying its impossible, but not
generally done today.

You seem to like 6X9's.
There is too much treble and midrange beaming from them torwards where they are pointed.

http://www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq/
http://www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq/
http://www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq/
inkedyouth inkedyouth is offline
Junior Member

Thumbs up

thanks for the reply,

while pretty much all of what you said went over my head......il have to try and have a read up on what your advice means in terms on the installation..

but thanks anyway...food for thought..

reason why im going to be putting in 6x9's is exactly for the mids and highs...
while the subs provide ..well...the bass...and the panels for some clarity up front...

while your answer doesnt answer my question right now im sure it will once i can absorb and read up on your points....

or if anyone can give me a more dumbed down version ..lol...that would help too...

"" does my diagram ....have any solid function ?..or is it back to the brain drawing board ? ""