Default How is every one ? (Electrical Question)

Well, It's been a while for me in this group! I hope there has not been
to many flame wars going on (atleast none that got out of control).
Any-hows, I'm am at last starting on my studio after a long and drawn
out quest for the right building (that I can afford). You guy's are not
going to believe how lucky I got with this place! Its a standard city
lot (small) with a 750 SF house (renovated two years ago) and a
separate 1500SF building (9ft+ ceilings, one large room, one med. room
and a few small rooms). The building is in need of some major work but
I have cut a few deals with some people that I used to jam with that
have extensive home remodeling experience.
What I'm working on now is altering my original studio plan's to this
new one I now have. I have so much more floor space now that my live
room is twice as big, so I can now get a good size band/group in it. So
I need to calculate for more power amp's and maybe even free standing
speakers (if needed) etc.
I was going with 40 amp breakers to start but now that I can
accommodate more I'm thinking on going with a 60 amp for the whole
works. I'm using a Power Mac G4 (with some hefty upgrade's) and the old
MOTU 24i, I don't have much on the lines of out board gear (about a
dozen units) and one small Crest rack mount analogue mixer. Speaker
wise I'm sticking with the Tannoy Reveal active's and two Tannoy 5.1
subs (100 watts each), I'm sure I will be up grading the console to
something bigger at some point and maybe a pair of small speakers added
as well. I don't think that I can go with much more speaker (maybe more
sub) given the size of the control room.
The main live room will be good sized (almost 20 ft X 20 ft), so I was
wondering what some of you guys think, 60 amps good enough?

Richard Crowley

bruwhaha58097238 wrote ...
The main live room will be good sized (almost 20 ft X 20 ft), so I was
wondering what some of you guys think, 60 amps good enough?

If you think in terms of number of circuits, 60 amps is three 20-amp
circuits, or four 15-amp circuits. I would start out thinking about
four circuits for the main room and another 4 at least for your control
room.

You don't really mean 40A or 60A breakers for each branch circuit?
May not even be legal. Domestic branch circuits are typically 15A or
20A each. Wire gauge and number of outlets for each branch circuit
may be regulated also in your jurisdiction. Any of your fiends happen
to be electricians? :-)

Kurt Albershardt

Richard Crowley wrote:
bruwhaha58097238 wrote ...

The main live room will be good sized (almost 20 ft X 20 ft), so I was
wondering what some of you guys think, 60 amps good enough?

If you think in terms of number of circuits, 60 amps is three 20-amp
circuits, or four 15-amp circuits.

Only if those 15/20 amp circuits are completely full. If you use the
50/60A to feed subpanel you can put more branch circuits on the subpanel.

Steve Urbach

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 16:39:23 -0700, Kurt Albershardt
wrote:

Only if those 15/20 amp circuits are completely full. If you use the
50/60A to feed subpanel you can put more branch circuits on the subpanel.

The 80% rule for continous loads still does apply. The NEC defines
continous as 3 hours or longer.
Outlets are cheap.
Breakers are moderate.
Labour to install them is insane.
Be very generous with your circuits the first time G.
If you are using a window (packaged unit) HVAC be sure to allow a
seperate (120 or 220 depending on size) circuit for that.

, _
, | \ MKA: Steve Urbach
, | )erek No JUNK in my email please
, ____|_/ragonsclaw
, / / / Running United Devices "Cure For Cancer" Project 24/7 Have you helped?
http://www.grid.org

Kurt Albershardt

wrote:

Only if those 15/20 amp circuits are completely full. If you use the
50/60A to feed subpanel you can put more branch circuits on the subpanel.

The 80% rule for continous loads still does apply. The NEC defines
continous as 3 hours or longer.

Of course, but you're still more likely to get full utilization with a
subpanel. Otherwise you'd have to move loads back and forth between
those 20A circuits to keep them all at 16A. If you had five branch
circuits you could more easily hit the 48A total...

Sorry guy's I wasn't clear enough. I was thinking about 60 amp's over
all, the main box in the building is old (1941) with a pull out main
and screw in 20 amp fuses. There is an updated box (lot's of switched
breaker's) in the area where the live room is going to be, it's feed is
from the old box in another room. There are 2 breakers that are 30 or
40 amp (I can find out for sure witch) in the new box that have two hot
and two neutral (and earth) in each lead, the hots are both 110 volts.
There is a plethora of unused 20 amp breakers in this box that have no
purpose at all so I can rout a few for the needed power but there is no
main breaker in the new box (that bothers me a bit). I like the idea of
running a sub box just for the studio but it will cost time, labor and
cash to do so. I was thinking about going with more than my current
needs just in case I expand to a larger format console (Neve or the
likes) and a 24 track Studer (they both run on 220 correct?) but it's
not immediate.
Maybe running a circuit to each room (3 in all) on a 20amp breaker's
and an extra circuit for utility (lava light's or anything a client
want's to bring in for there mood setting's) in each room as well.
The quote for electrical work I received from the heating and air
company was $1200.00, they will also move the gas pack unit to a
location farther away from the live room. He also hooked me up with a
drafting company for plan's to submit to the city for my commercial
building permit (don't know what that part's going to cost), they want
to see everything before and after! The buddies that are helping me
with the construction are carpenters.

Thanks for the reply's and I keep you good folk's posted.
Raymond Ward
A.S. Recording Arts