Maurice Rickard

Default € HELP: Macintosh Minidisc/Digital Audio Recording/Importing

In article ,
Pierre wrote:

Essentially, I'm recording my band live at my shows/gigs with a portable
minidisc recorder, and then want to losslessly transfer it into my iMac
800 Flat Panel, and cut up the tracks to make songs that have a fade-in
and fade-out, to make a live demo-CD from multiple shows for my band.

As far as I know, you're not going to transfer losslessly. First off,
the MD compression (ATRAC) is inherently lossy. It's better than .mp3
(to me, anyway), but it is indeed lossy.

Second (possibly due to industry pressure on Sony--anybody know?) you
pretty much can't do digital transfer from an MD recorder to a computer.
Maybe on the PC side, but not on the Mac side, last I checked.

Still, you may be happy with transferring analog out of the headphone
jack of the MD into the mic/line input of the iMac, with a 1/8" to 1/8"
male stereo cable, recording two track to hard drive using something
like Felttip Sound Studio (shareware)

http://www.felttip.com/products/soundstudio/

or Audacity (freeware)

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

or something. Then you can cut the tracks and do fades. (I use Sound
Studio, but there's a new stable version of Audacity.)

Good luck!

Maurice Rickard
http://mauricerickard.com/ | http://onezeromusic.com/