Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.car
New At This New At This is offline

Default Problem with Honda Civic radio on/off-volume dial

I have a 1996 Honda Civic HX, with a standard AM-FM radio, to which
I've attached an external CD player. The radio's volume dial is also
its on-off switch, engaged by pushing in on the dial. I have a problem
that has gotten worse over the past few months:

When I attempt to turn the volume up, not only does the volume normally
not go up, it more often goes down. What will happen when I attempt to
turn the volume down is anybody's guess, too. Occasionally I can get
it to respond, but only occasionally. I've pulled off the plastic dial
button, and am turning the metal rod that goes into the guts of the
radio -- but, no luck.

I wonder:

1. What the problem is;

2. Whether it's worth fixing; and,

3. If so, whether it might be anything simple enough that I could fix
it myself?

Any assistance appreciated.