WideGlide

Default Schoeps / pick-up pattern question / freq response, etc

I have a question about mic pick-up patterns, related to Schoeps capsules.
I was thinking of getting another pair of capsules to compliment my MK4's,
and was looking to get something that had a wider pick-up area. One capsule
that caught my eye was the MK21H, a "wide cardioid" with "high-frequency
emphasis". Wide cardioid sounds cool, and the high frequency emphasis is
something I might like since I often find I need to add a little upper-end
eq whenever I use my MK4's. Anyway, so I took a glance at the pick-up
pattern diagram for the MK21H (at the Schoeps site) and noticed that while
the pattern is a wide cardioid and most frequencies have a wide pick-up
area, the 16kHz pick-up area is quite narrow. (I realize that most mics are
like this.) I then checked out the diagram for the MK41 supercardioid
capsules and noticed that the 16kHz pick-up area is much larger and wider
than that of the MK21H.... even larger and wider than that of the MK4
cardioid. If you compare the diagrams, you might conclude that the MK41
supercardioid has a wider and more balanced frontal pick-up area than the
MK21H. I find this confusing. I realize that diagrams do not tell all.
Maybe I should just ask the following question: if one needed to record a
small string or percussion ensemble that was spread across an area of say
10 - 13 feet wide, using one mic on a stand about 6 feet high in front of
the ensemble, what Schoeps capsule might you recommend for the most even
response possible from the entire ensemble. Picking up some room is ok.
Again, the diagrams at the Schoeps site lead me to believe that an MK41
might be better than an MK21H for this (wide even frontal pick-up), but...
there must be a problem with my thinking here. I know, I know, I need to
get all these capsules and audition / compare them myself, fine. But before
I do any auditioning, I'd like to at least have a better technical
understanding and narrow down my choices. Final question: for all purpose
use, recording a percussion ensemble, or drum overheads, or even an acoustic
guitar, etc, what Schoeps capsules would be a good compliment and companion
to the MK4's? Thanks! -wg
http://www.schoeps.de/E/overview-caps.html

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

was looking to get something that had a wider pick-up area. One capsule
that caught my eye was the MK21H, a "wide cardioid" with "high-frequency
emphasis".

I took a glance at the pick-up
pattern diagram for the MK21H (at the Schoeps site) and noticed that while
the pattern is a wide cardioid and most frequencies have a wide pick-up
area, the 16kHz pick-up area is quite narrow. (I realize that most mics are
like this.) I then checked out the diagram for the MK41 supercardioid
capsules and noticed that the 16kHz pick-up area is much larger and wider
than that of the MK21H.... even larger and wider than that of the MK4
cardioid. If you compare the diagrams, you might conclude that the MK41
supercardioid has a wider and more balanced frontal pick-up area than the
MK21H. I find this confusing.

You can't buy a microphone from a book and expect to know what it
sounds like in all applications. There are no standards for what's
"wide", "hyper" or just plain cardioid. Those are just
generalizations and what's more important than the width of the
pattern at a certain frequency is the frequency response at a given
angle off axis. The other thing that's important is the response of
the microhone looking directly backwards, since we often use cardioids
for what they DON'T pick up as much as for what they do pick up. And
regardless of what the pattern looks like, you will never find a place
where you can put a real sound source and get no output from a
cardioid mic.

if one needed to record a
small string or percussion ensemble that was spread across an area of say
10 - 13 feet wide, using one mic on a stand about 6 feet high in front of
the ensemble, what Schoeps capsule might you recommend for the most even
response possible from the entire ensemble.

An omni. But if you want to cut out some of the room sound (which is
usually a good idea unless it's a really fabulous room) look for the
mic with the smoothest frequency response 30 to 45 degrees off axis.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Ty Ford

In Article , "WideGlide"
wrote:
[...]

Dear Wide,

I'm sorry, but I can't read all of your text because it's just one block of
text. Please drop a paragraph or two on long posts for us.

Regardless, the standard cardioid and the hyper would be good additions.

Regards,

Ty Ford

For Ty Ford V/O demos, audio services and equipment reviews,
click on http://www.jagunet.com/~tford

"WideGlide" wrote in message et...

Maybe I should just ask the following question: if one needed to record a
small string or percussion ensemble that was spread across an area of say
10 - 13 feet wide, using one mic on a stand about 6 feet high in front of
the ensemble, what Schoeps capsule might you recommend for the most even
response possible from the entire ensemble. Picking up some room is ok.
Again, the diagrams at the Schoeps site lead me to believe that an MK41
might be better than an MK21H for this (wide even frontal pick-up), but...
there must be a problem with my thinking here.

That's a pretty interesting question/issue for sure. Just for the sake
of argument I propose that perhaps the question needs to be rephrased,
since you are not considering stereo micing in your question.

Let me put an idea out there for everyone to mock; a supercard pair
will probably be set up in a coincident or near coincident
configuration with either mic oriented at 90degrees or greater with
respect to a substantial portion of the soundstage (vague statement, I
know). The sub-cards or wide cards can probably tolerate being placed
further apart than the supers without pulling the image apart, and
likewise could/would be oriented less drastically, perhaps even in an
AB config. Arguably the subcards would be less off-axis with respect
to the ensemble while maintaining a balanced stereo image. So perhaps
the fact that they lack top octave balance is not such an issue?

I'm just kind of talking out of my ass here....anybody else care to
weigh in?
Richard Kuschel

v.hcvlny.cv.net

[...]

I have both the ML41 and the 2s omnis. the next capsules I will get are either
going to be figure 8's or the 21 wide cardioid. The omni 2s exhibits a very
narrow HF polar pattern, but it isn't aproblem.

I probably won't get the MK4's until I own every other mic that I want as I
have a whole drawer full of good cardioids.

The Mk21 wide cardioids are the choice of the "tapers" that I know and they
really have a wonderful sound. They are better off axis than the Mk4's and
allow you to get in closer.

The Mk 21also has a much better LF response than the MK41 or the MK4.

Richard H. Kuschel

WideGlide

Sorry for my previous longish post and thanks to all for the feedback. I
have read a bit more at the Schoeps site and see that indeed the wider
pattern mics have tighter high frequency frontal grabs. I do not see any
wide pattern mics that also have a wide high freq grab. Thus the pick up of
these "wide" mics will surely be "colored" off axis, less hi frequencies off
axis than in front. Kind of defeats the purpose to some extent, doesn't it?
I still need to gain more experience with these mics.

Let's take drum overhead mics placed in an XY pattern about 90 - 110 degrees
apart about a foot or two above the drummer's head, trying to pick up a
large kit as evenly as possible. Normally I would not use hypercardioids
for this since the directionality of such mics tends to split the kit in two
yielding an unnatural exaggerated stereo image. Cardioids often work well,
but with a lot of mics, I can really hear the off axis "coloration" -
cymbals right in front sound accurate, cymbals at the edges sound darker
and have color. My goal would be to pick up the whole kit as evenly as
possible with little or no audible coloration.... and even in stereo, a
"large" kit requires a pair of wide pick up mics to grab the whole thing.
(I'd prefer to not do the three spaced mic thing even though this might be
the ultimate solution.)

What Schoeps capsules might be best for such a situation? I am interested
in hearing opinions, though I realize I must ultimately experiment to really
understand. If Schoeps capsules are not the answer, what other mics might
be good for picking up a wide yet even pattern across the entire frequency
range, hi-end included? Is there such thing as a cardioid, wide cardioid or
omni that has a top-end pattern (10k+) that is just as wide as all
frequencies below? I was shocked to notice that most cardioid mics have a
rather tight hi-frequency pick up pattern, and wider patterns are often
worse.

Thanks - wg

Scott Dorsey

wrote:
(Mike Rivers) wrote in message

There are no standards for what's
"wide", "hyper" or just plain cardioid.

Are you sure about that? Angular sensitivity of a mic is usually
expressed as either a measurement of response to pressure, response to
pressure gradient or some combination of both.

A bidirectional (simple pressure gradient) is described mathematically
as the cosine of the arrival angle; ie. sensitivity=cos?

An omni (pressure mic) is described very simply as having exhibiting
unity gain regardless of arrival angle. ie sensitivity=1

A cardioid lies in between, meaning that it is partly pressure and
partly pressure gradient; sensitivity=.5+.5cos?

A sub card is described mathematically as .75 + .25cos?, although the
MK21 is actually .68+.32cos? (so it is not as wide as other subs).

Supers are .37+.63cos´?. Hyper are .25+.75cos?

Right, but let's pick the 635A. It's an omni at 1 KHz. It's a cardoid at
20 KHz. What is the mike pattern?

The AT 4047 is a cardioid at 1 KHz, an omni at 50 Hz, and a hypercardioid
somewhere around 300 Hz. What is the mike pattern?

Those are just
generalizations and what's more important than the width of the
pattern at a certain frequency is the frequency response at a given
angle off axis.

This is the same thing; width of pattern at a certain frequency is the
same as frequency response off axis.

It's a different way of looking at the same problem.
Mike Rivers

In article writes:

There are no standards for what's
"wide", "hyper" or just plain cardioid.

Are you sure about that? Angular sensitivity of a mic is usually
expressed as either a measurement of response to pressure, response to
pressure gradient or some combination of both.

All of these designs are pressure gradient. An omni has a pure
pressure response. Often a directional mic is made by combining a
pressure and pressure gradient element in some proportion. As you
change the ratio of how the two are combined, you change the pattern.

I believe that there are some "standard" ratios that correspond to the
names - I think I read that in a post here a while back from David
Satz, who knows lots more about this stuff than I do, but that just
gets you started. Practice diverges quite a bit from theory when it
comes to actually building microphones, and just because someone calls
their mics "hypercardiod" doesn't mean that he's using the textbook
ratios.

A bidirectional (simple pressure gradient) is described mathematically
as the cosine of the arrival angle; ie. sensitivity=cos?

A ribbon mic, which is a true bi-directional mic, actually works out
pretty much like the math predicts, a least at a single mid-band
frequency.

This is the same thing; width of pattern at a certain frequency is the
same as frequency response off axis.

Correct - but you have to define what "off axis" your talking about.
Neumann publishes frequency plots at 90 degrees, for instance. They're
educational.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
David Satz

"WideGlide" wrote:

[ ... ] I took a glance at the pick-up pattern diagram for the MK21H
(at the Schoeps site) and noticed that while the pattern is a wide
cardioid and most frequencies have a wide pick-up area, the 16kHz
pick-up area is quite narrow. (I realize that most mics are like this.)

I then checked out the diagram for the MK41 supercardioid capsules and
noticed that the 16kHz pick-up area is much larger and wider than that
of the MK21H.... even larger and wider than that of the MK4 cardioid. If
you compare the diagrams, you might conclude that the MK41 supercardioid
has a wider and more balanced frontal pick-up area than the MK21H. I
find this confusing.

This gets back to the basic physics of microphone patterns. There are
two fundamental kinds of sensitivity which a condenser microphone can
have: pressure response, and pressure gradient ( = velocity) response.

With capsules of the first kind (the kind that respond purely to
pressure), the overall pattern is omnidirectional. But the response
above 6 - 8 kHz becomes narrower because the physical size of the
capsule is 1/2 or more of the very small wavelengths of those high
frequency sound components; the capsule itself causes some
interference in the sound field. Thus the on-axis response of these
capsules is always brighter than their off-axis response.

That's not a bad thing for sound recording; it's actually very helpful
in most rooms since you don't usually want reverberant sound to be
picked up with as much high-frequency content as direct sound.
Omnidirectional microphones need to be aimed at their intended sound
sources; you simply have to be aware of that fact, despite what the
term "omnidirectional" would lead a person to expect.

Capsules of the second kind (pressure gradient) can have essentially
the same response curve both on- and off-axis, but they're directional--
so the exact sensitivity at different angles will differ according to
the pattern. A purely pressure-gradient-sensing microphone will have
a bidirectional (figure-8) pickup pattern.

OK--you asked about "wide cardioid" vs. supercardioid capsules. They
are mixtures, in terms of how they operate. The wide cardioid has
about 3/4 pressure response and 1/4 pressure gradient response. The
supercardioid has nearly the opposite mixture. As a result, the
supercardioid has nearly the same directionality at the highest
frequencies as it does in the midrange (although a figure-8 would
come even closer)--while conversely, the wide cardioid's pattern is
somewhat narrower at the highest frequencies than it is in the
midrange (although an omni would have even more of a narrowing at
high frequencies).

Do you see the logic there? The capsules are behaving as one might
expect, given how they actually operate. This is a very condensed
(no pun intended) explanation--if you have any further questions
about the physical principles involved, please ask. The big variable
which I left out was the effect of high-frequency absorption in the
reflected sound, which is the reason there are four different Schoeps
omni capsules intended for different approaches to the choice of miking
distance; that involves two further variables, of which you yourself
are one (i.e. your subjective preferences).

I don't have much concrete advice about what capsules you should buy
next; it simply depends too much on what types of recording you intend
to do in what kinds of spaces, and on what techniques interest you,
for anyone else to be able to prescribe something too particular for you.

However, in spaces of adequate size (which for me means pretty large), the
MK 41 has long been my "go-to" Schoeps capsule--the one that I can almost
always find good-sounding places for in any situation. The one big
exception is when I'm trying to get a smooth sound out of a small room,
especially one with a low ceiling--then I most often would use the MK 8.

Still, it depends on what you're trying to accomplish in the recording--for
the record (or the tape), I'm also a fan of the MK 2 and of the AK 40 and
AK 50 spheres for Schoeps pressure capsules, though they reflect an entirely
different approach to stereo recording from the MK 41 or MK 8.

--best regards

David Satz

"WideGlide" wrote:

Let's take drum overhead mics placed in an XY pattern about 90 - 110
degrees apart about a foot or two above the drummer's head, trying to
pick up a large kit as evenly as possible. Normally I would not use
hypercardioids for this since the directionality of such mics tends to
split the kit in two yielding an unnatural exaggerated stereo image.
Cardioids often work well, but with a lot of mics, I can really hear
the off axis "coloration" - cymbals right in front sound accurate,
cymbals at the edges sound darker and have color. My goal would be
to pick up the whole kit as evenly as possible with little or no audible
coloration.... and even in stereo, a "large" kit requires a pair of
wide pick up mics to grab the whole thing.

You could try the supercardioids, but reduce the angle between them to
some extent and bring them back slightly farther away from the drum kit
if necessary to fit the entire drum kit within the stereo image. This
should both reduce coloration and give a more even "spread" across the
sound stage.
Martin

David,

Another very informative reply. I have a question, though. I don't quite get
this.

However, in spaces of adequate size (which for me means pretty large), the
MK 41 has long been my "go-to" Schoeps capsule--the one that I can almost
always find good-sounding places for in any situation. The one big
exception is when I'm trying to get a smooth sound out of a small room,
especially one with a low ceiling--then I most often would use the MK 8.

I was under the impression that the MK 41 would be better in a small room
because it would ignore more of the room given it's tight pattern. Further,
the following is an excerpt from the Schoeps web site referring to the MK 8.

"When an MK 8 or CCM 8 is used as a spot microphone, care must be taken to

avoid picking up early reflections or unwanted direct sound from its rear,
since sound arriving from the back is picked up with full intensity but
reversed in polarity. This could result in partial cancellation of the
intended sound, which can lead to comb-filter effects at higher
frequencies."

Would this not be more prevalent in a small room? Please clarify. Thanks.

Martin

PS. I suppose defining the size of a small room would help.

Kurt Albershardt

Martin wrote:

However, in spaces of adequate size (which for me means pretty large), the
MK 41 has long been my "go-to" Schoeps capsule--the one that I can almost
always find good-sounding places for in any situation. The one big
exception is when I'm trying to get a smooth sound out of a small room,
especially one with a low ceiling--then I most often would use the MK 8.

I was under the impression that the MK 41 would be better in a small room
because it would ignore more of the room given it's tight pattern.

It does ignore more of the room than a cardioid and is more useful in more situations for many of us.

the following is an excerpt from the Schoeps web site referring to the MK 8.

"When an MK 8 or CCM 8 is used as a spot microphone, care must be taken to
avoid picking up early reflections or unwanted direct sound from its rear,
since sound arriving from the back is picked up with full intensity but
reversed in polarity. This could result in partial cancellation of the
intended sound, which can lead to comb-filter effects at higher
frequencies."

Would this not be more prevalent in a small room?

Yes, but the front lobe is even more directional than that of an MK41, leading to less problems with sidewall reflections. Also, a figure-eight mic has the unique advantage of having a planar null which can be used (by choice of position and angle) to reduce or eliminate the problems caused by a low cieling or close wall (parallel walls.)

David Satz

Martin wrote:

I was under the impression that the MK 41 would be better in a small
room because it would ignore more of the room given it's tight pattern.
Further, the following is an excerpt from the Schoeps web site referring
to the MK 8.

When an MK 8 or CCM 8 is used as a spot microphone, care must be taken
to avoid picking up early reflections or unwanted direct sound from
its rear, since sound arriving from the back is picked up with full
intensity but reversed in polarity. This could result in partial
cancellation of the intended sound, which can lead to comb-filter
effects at higher frequencies.

Would this not be more prevalent in a small room? Please clarify. Thanks.

This is one of the passages in the catalog (and thus on Schoeps' Web site)
that say something fairly obvious--unfortunately in a way that makes it
sound more complicated than it really is. However, maybe you overlooked
the word "direct" which is the key to what it is saying.

Direct sound can be picked up by the rear lobe of a figure 8 as easily as it
can be by the front lobe. This would actually occur if the capsule were to
be placed between two sound sources, with the capsule's front lobe pointing
toward one sound source and its rear lobe pointing toward the other one.
That could sound rather bad. In a situation like that, a cardioid could
be used instead, placed so that its null would suppress the direct sound
from one of the two oppositely-placed sources. But a figure-8 can't be.

That's all that this passage is trying to say (I more or less ought to know;
I was the translator). The size of the room would have no effect one way
or the other. But what this paragraph is pointing out is probably not all
that relevant to the issues that you're thinking about.

--best regards

David Satz

Martin wrote:

Thanks, I get it now..........

Well, actually ... with a little sleep and just a little more thought, I
remembered that this problem is not entirely independent of room size.
Small voiceover or announcer booths, iso booths of any kind, cramped
little radio studios--anything like that can be small enough to produce
audible comb filtering effects even with a single sound source. I tend
to forget that some people spend a lot of their working lives in rooms
so tiny that I'd never even think of them as recording spaces, since I
work primarily with live music. But even a tabletop in a decent-sized
studio can cause this type of problem.

On the other hand, wise use of a figure-8 (or supercardioid) can also be
the solution to the problem of adverse early reflections.

The main benefit of figure-8s in _relatively_ small spaces is that their
nulls are so sharp that they can effectively erase one dimension of the
room, so far as early reflections are concerned (the main problem with
small rooms). If you use a Blumlein configuration or spaced figure-8s
(don't be afraid to try it, even if it doesn't appear in any textbook
or article) with the microphones aimed directly in the horizontal plane,
the nulls will then be "aimed" at the floor and ceiling of the room.
This will suppress enough of the reflections from the two nearest room
surfaces to give the impression of a less cramped space.
b9rel8tor

Wide -

FWIW, you can listen to a drum kit recorded with coincident MK41s
he http://www.erinmillermusic.com . . . go to "listen" and click on
"Believin' Love" or "To Sleep".

The OH's are about 60% of the sound, with the other two mic's - 57 on
snare and D112 on Kick - filling in).

Peter in St. Louis

[...]

headphone response curve question Mark Hifi High End Audio 7 June 5th 04 05:11 PM
M/S-stereo setup Ben Krämer Pro Audio 53 September 10th 03 12:17 AM
Blindtest question Thomas A High End Audio 74 August 25th 03 05:09 PM
Question for Robert Morein... Robert Morein Audio Opinions 1 August 25th 03 06:52 AM
Freq response ADS AL6 Paul Hanley Car Audio 1 July 30th 03 02:19 AM