Jeff

Default low cost spdif compatible preamps

Does anyone here know if all preamps with coaxial digital inputs
support s/pdif? I would like to save money and buy an older preamp
with at least one digital input, but I'm not sure if I can connect
every preamp to my computer spdif, coaxial output. How many standards
are there for digital audio inputs in the last 15 years?

I will be connecting the preamp to a Carver A-500x amp. I'm also
interested in any other low cost options for connecting my Carver amp
to the spdif output on my computer.

thanks,
Jeff
Scott Dorsey

Jeff wrote:
Does anyone here know if all preamps with coaxial digital inputs
support s/pdif?

Why would a preamp have a coaxial digital input?

I would like to save money and buy an older preamp
with at least one digital input, but I'm not sure if I can connect
every preamp to my computer spdif, coaxial output. How many standards
are there for digital audio inputs in the last 15 years?

A bunch of them, but most things you see on a BNC or RCA will be S-PDIF
or some variant. But what's the point in having a preamp with a digital
input?

I will be connecting the preamp to a Carver A-500x amp. I'm also
interested in any other low cost options for connecting my Carver amp
to the spdif output on my computer.

I would suggest using an D/A converter for that. Plenty of good ones
out there. You can probably find a used Audio Alchemy for cheap.
Arny Krueger

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

Jeff wrote:
Does anyone here know if all preamps with coaxial digital inputs
support s/pdif?

Why would a preamp have a coaxial digital input?

If its really a surround processor. Some of them look a lot like audiophile
preamps.

Ty Ford

In Article , Jeff
wrote:
Does anyone here know if all preamps with coaxial digital inputs
support s/pdif? I would like to save money and buy an older preamp
with at least one digital input, but I'm not sure if I can connect
every preamp to my computer spdif, coaxial output. How many standards
are there for digital audio inputs in the last 15 years?

I will be connecting the preamp to a Carver A-500x amp. I'm also
interested in any other low cost options for connecting my Carver amp
to the spdif output on my computer.

thanks,
Jeff

To use a preamp with an s/pdif input, you'd need a mic with an s/pdif
output. I only know of two mics with digital outputs at the moment, neumann
and beyer. I believe they are both aes/ebu.

I don't know of any preamps with s/pdif inputs. Which "all" are you
referring to?

Regards,

Ty Ford

For Ty Ford V/O demos, audio services and equipment reviews,
click on http://www.jagunet.com/~tford