Scott Gardner

Default waiting

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 14:39:52 -0400, "Chris Mullins"
wrote:

i think he meant that with the higher preamp voltage it'll be clipping
earlier with the gains, since most people don't know how to set their gains
its better to have lower preamps. There's been at least half a dozen people
i've heard of blowing their subs cause it wouldn't hold the power from their
amps they think the gain is a power setting so they want all the power they
can get

That's true - if you take a properly-adjusted system that uses 2V
preouts from the head unit, and swap in a different head unit with 7V
preouts and don't adjust the gain on the amp(s), you're only going to
be able to use about a quarter of the head unit's volume range before
you start clipping the amp.

That's not an inherent disadvantage of high-voltage preouts, though -
that's user error, plain and simple.
--
Scott Gardner

"Never get your heart set on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich until you're sure there's jelly in the house." (Linus Van Pelt)

Kirby

Sorry, but I was getting somewhat frustrated by Mr Walds stupidity. That was
what I was trying to say. But I still don't see almost any upides of high
voltage pre-outs. The only thing I can think of, is with my old EQ, was that
it had .25 V outs, and it gave off a lot of noise.

wrote:

[...]

robyncboyd

B O B W A L D I S T H E D E V I L R E I N C A R N A T E !

--
robyncboyd
robyncboyd's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=25153

bob wald

scott in crutchfield....i think i just saw a top alpine, model
$1100.....n i dont think it was the 1 with the 7'' screen.
i dont think i ever saw a alpine other than in a show room at ''wrights
sound gallery''. i mean seen one in peron.

bob wald

,25v LOL id rather have nothing than .25v...lol
hope you didnt pay more than $50 for it....

bob wald

i guess what i am saying is alpine.you buying a more upper class
unit....not the average dog so to speak.
like with all polk/kicker could see alpine.not
boss-jensen-pioneer-jvc-sony-even clarion.
clarion i put between average n high class.
i try to match my equipment. class wise.
maybe i'm saying theres rare brands i dont see around much
..

bob wald

i dont know who makes alpine.but if the japs have it.they bought it.who
where they before the japs got it.....

Scott Gardner

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 15:32:34 -0500, (bob wald)
wrote:

scott in crutchfield....i think i just saw a top alpine, model
$1100.....n i dont think it was the 1 with the 7'' screen.
i dont think i ever saw a alpine other than in a show room at ''wrights
sound gallery''. i mean seen one in peron.

Shows what you know. I have an Alpine 7814 CD/receiver in one of my
cars. It's an older model, and I consider it inferior to my
JVC-KDSH77, which is even a few years old too. As a matter of fact, I
took the Alpine out of my Mercedes and put it in my Honda, so that I
could sell the Honda with the Alpine in it and keep the JVC.

And as for Crutchfield, they do have ONE regular-screen model in their
catalogue (the DVA-9965) that costs more than the CDA-9855 that I
mentioned earlier. It hasn't been released yet, and Crutchfield's
price is $1499. Every other model priced between the 9965 and the
9855 has a large-screen display, NAV, satellite radio, etcetera.
Plus, the $1500 DVA-9965 is still a DVD player, even though it doesn't
have a screen.

For a CD/MP3 deck without a large screen, the 9855 (soon to be
replaced by the same-price 9860) is still Alpine's flagship model, and
you can buy them all day for $350, regardless of what Crutchfield
charges for them.

And contrary to your earlier opinion, buying Alpine isn't like buying
"fine art". Any schlump with $300 can take his pick of a half-dozen
Alpine stereos and have it delivered to his door the next day. So,
they're neither limited nor "exclusive". The "Alpine" name might
impress people that don't know any better, though.

--
Scott Gardner

"What happens on cruise, stays on cruise." (Navy saying)

Scott Gardner

wrote:

scott in crutchfield....i think i just saw a top alpine, model
$1100.....n i dont think it was the 1 with the 7'' screen.
i dont think i ever saw a alpine other than in a show room at ''wrights
sound gallery''. i mean seen one in peron.

Shows what you know. I have an Alpine 7814 CD/receiver in one of my
cars. It's an older model, and I consider it inferior to my
JVC-KDSH77, which is even a few years old too. As a matter of fact, I
took the Alpine out of my Mercedes and put it in my Honda, so that I
could sell the Honda with the Alpine in it and keep the JVC.

Never mind - I mis-read your post and though that you were claiming
that *I* had never seen an Alpine head unit in person, not that *you*
had never seen one.

I used to see them all over the place in the 80's and 90's, back when
they were the most-expensive units out there and people bought them
for "bragging rights". Now that their prices are more in line with
everyone else's, perhaps people are looking at other brands more.

Your post reminded me of a boss I had in high school. He had an old,
beat-up Jeep with an Alpine stereo in it. The funny thing was, it was
an Alpine **8-track player**. To this day, that's still the only
Alpine 8-track I've ever seen.

--
Scott Gardner

"What happens on cruise, stays on cruise." (Navy saying)

bob wald

scott.i know all electronics get old price so i cant comment on the
$300 alpine. but i see lots of other decks $189 or less.so the alpine is
more.
I still think the alpines abit rare.

Andrew Dumaresq

wrote:

[...]

The only head units I am aware of the cost more then the others, is
Eclipse, I Assume there are others, but as far as I know Pioneer Kenwood
JVC Sony Clarion and Alpine are all priced pretty much at the same
level. Top end around 350-400. Like others have said I mean the MP3/CD
players not the DVD or navigation units.

bob wald

Ive never said alpine was better than any.i just dont know.i said its
rare.looks good too.Kinda classy/rare.specs look good.

bob wald

8track...mid to late 70s. you must be 40...

Andrew Dumaresq

bob wald wrote:
8track...mid to late 70s. you must be 40...

Man you must be 12, I'm 29 and I remember 8 tracks and the late 70s
(though not very well).
MZ

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005, Kirby wrote:
Sorry, but I was getting somewhat frustrated by Mr Walds stupidity. That was
what I was trying to say. But I still don't see almost any upides of high
voltage pre-outs. The only thing I can think of, is with my old EQ, was that
it had .25 V outs, and it gave off a lot of noise.

I don't get any noise from my 10v output when it's down at low volume
levels and therefore putting out only a quarter of a volt. I think
something was wrong with your EQ.
MZ

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005, bob wald wrote:
i try to match my equipment. class wise.

That's evident.

So what class are you?
MZ

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005, bob wald wrote:
i just dont know.

On this we agree.
robyncboyd

I. Care Wrote:
In article 1129492603.00cebcbe5d2b5100dee04d7334f00994@teran ews,
says...

B O B W A L D I S T H E D E V I L R E I N C A R N A T E !

--
robyncboyd

robyncboyd's Profile:

http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=25153
View this thread:

http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=228076

Glad you are enjoying him as much as we do.
--
I. Care

I find him a ****tard, but entertaining all the same.

The classic thing is he thinks he knows something about car
audio...Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

--
robyncboyd
robyncboyd's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=25153
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=228076

Scott Gardner

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 01:19:02 GMT, MZ wrote:

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005, Kirby wrote:
Sorry, but I was getting somewhat frustrated by Mr Walds stupidity. That was
what I was trying to say. But I still don't see almost any upides of high
voltage pre-outs. The only thing I can think of, is with my old EQ, was that
it had .25 V outs, and it gave off a lot of noise.

I don't get any noise from my 10v output when it's down at low volume
levels and therefore putting out only a quarter of a volt. I think
something was wrong with your EQ.

I was thinking the same thing. A clean-sounding unit with
high-voltage preamps would still sound as clean with lower-voltage
preamps. Likewise, if he was getting noise from his EQ, it probably
wasn't caused by the preouts. More likely, either the EQ was faulty
or inherently noisy.

--
Scott Gardner

"I've had a wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." - Groucho Marx

robyncboyd

Scott Gardner Wrote:
and the Alpine 8-track player was probably from the late 70's.

--
Scott Gardner

"It's easy to get a Friday off when you're unemployed."

Nah, probably from the early to mid seventies. Late seventies were the
domain of cassette.

--
robyncboyd
robyncboyd's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=25153
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=228076

Chris Mullins

i think he was saying that he has sort of a pavlovian response now since his
..25v preamps sucked. He has to partially blame it ont he voltage even
though he knows its probably not at fault. but thats just the impression i
got, i could be as wrong as wald (i like that, i think i'll keep it)

[...]

Chris Mullins

i think i speak for everyone when i say i only reply/read his posts when i
need something to laugh at

I really love how he's changed his stance now that he's able to afford an
alpine unit, he thinks he's something special because his mom is going to
get him a nice x-mas present.

"robyncboyd" wrote in message
news:1129514795.b4cd423b55a8e61d9570d4ca65d415b0@t eranews...

I. Care Wrote:
[...]

Kirby

So you know, I paid $20.. Canadian..

"bob wald" wrote in message
,25v LOL id rather have nothing than .25v...lol
hope you didnt pay more than $50 for it....

Kirby

To the best of my knowledge it was a common problem with this sereis of EQ.
Pioneer DEQ-7200. If I can remember correctly, it was 14 band digital. I
loved the look, and the screen saver type things. My only real beef with it
was the noise and the fact that you could not read it for **** in the
daytime.

"MZ" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Oct 2005, Kirby wrote:
Sorry, but I was getting somewhat frustrated by Mr Walds stupidity. That

was
what I was trying to say. But I still don't see almost any upides of

high
voltage pre-outs. The only thing I can think of, is with my old EQ, was

that
it had .25 V outs, and it gave off a lot of noise.

I don't get any noise from my 10v output when it's down at low volume
levels and therefore putting out only a quarter of a volt. I think
something was wrong with your EQ.

mike's dad

i believe the website is 'sonicelectronix.com'
(http://www.sonicelectronix.com)

--
mike's dad
mike's dad's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=37404

bob wald

mark by class i mean cheap stuff to cheap stuff.expensive to
expensive.But alpines always interested me.thier decks-eqs anyways.
i cant even think of high cost decks besides eclipse n nekimishi.lol
the reason i dont own alpine already. i think thier outs are 2v.but
thanks to clarion eq.Its Alpine time! 7vvvvvvvvv......
this Clarion has improved my life already....
Sometimes i admire myself.lol

MZ

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, bob wald wrote:
mark by class i mean cheap stuff to cheap stuff.expensive to
expensive.

Alpine's not very expensive. Compare it to some Eclipse, Nakamichi, and
McIntosh models.

bob wald

ok...i never said alpine was the most expensive on earth.
but if you look at alpines cheapest models thier higher than others
cheap models..plus alpine id guess sells more stuff than the others
thats priced higher....

MZ

ok...i never said alpine was the most expensive on earth.
but if you look at alpines cheapest models thier higher than others
cheap models..plus alpine id guess sells more stuff than the others
thats priced higher....

That's because they sell Alpine in the department stores...

bob wald

ive said be4 ive never seen alpine in person.just 1 or twice in very
high electronic stores.yo must be thinking of your
kenwood-mitishbiti-panasonic-fujiten in department stores.....

Kirby

You dont get out much do you? Almost all of the installers in my area have
Alpine, and same with the car owners.. You almost can't go anywhere around
here without seeing it.. And by no means do these places have high end gear.

"bob wald" wrote in message
ive said be4 ive never seen alpine in person.just 1 or twice in very
high electronic stores.yo must be thinking of your
kenwood-mitishbiti-panasonic-fujiten in department stores.....

Jethro

bob wald Wrote:
ive said be4 ive never seen alpine in person.just 1 or twice in very
high electronic stores.yo must be thinking of your
kenwood-mitishbiti-panasonic-fujiten in department stores.....

Throw Sherwood and Jensen in that list and you've got a car audio
lineup from 1988 or so... bob, are you stuck in the eighties? Have you
been out of your basement since the eighties?

--
Jethro

[(Vas/Vbox)+1]^.5 * Qts or Fs
Jethro's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=18662
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=228076

bob wald

well 80s were the best time in history so far.for music,stereos etc.
maybe different places might have alot of alpine.but not here.

MZ

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, bob wald wrote:
well 80s were the best time in history so far.for music,stereos etc.
maybe different places might have alot of alpine.but not here.

Crank that Herbie Hancock, bob.
bob wald

please dont be jealous of my
alpine-clarion-sherwood-jvc''speakers''.pioneer''sub''.LoL....we all
cant be #1......
***lanzer cap. a+ wirings/cables/battery....
i know i have no video/mp3 but so. dont need everything to be happy.
rf-kicker-jl-re-kenwood....HAHahaHAhAhA......

Chris Mullins

bob, have you ever actually seen an RE sub? i mean seriously, you think
alpine is rare, the only xxx you've ever seen probably had teenage boys in
compromising positions. you talk about the other brands but so far once you
get a good deal on one them you love them and talk about how high end you're
getting.

"bob wald" wrote in message
please dont be jealous of my
alpine-clarion-sherwood-jvc''speakers''.pioneer''sub''.LoL....we all
cant be #1......
***lanzer cap. a+ wirings/cables/battery....
i know i have no video/mp3 but so. dont need everything to be happy.
rf-kicker-jl-re-kenwood....HAHahaHAhAhA......

bob wald

you must be on dope...LOL pioneer iz the bested sub ever......i asked
the sales guy.he told me. re lol..iz tis a joke?