Jakeman

Default dBfs scales, EBU r68 or DIN ?

In our studio in the Netherlands we use a Yamaha O2r audio console, and
a Sony DVW500 digital betacam recorder. Recently we bought a AES/EBU
DK-audio peakmeter, and the German DIN-PPM scale is our reference.
In some situations we prefer the dBfs scale, but that seems not to be
compatible with the German DIN-PPM scale, there is always a difference
of 3dB. I think that the EBU dBfs standard scale is used for the
digital betacam and the o2R.
My conclusion, if you use the DIN PPM scale (RTW) and the EBU-r68 dBfs
scale, you have a headroom left of only 6 dB in the digital betacam.
Who knows the solution ? What's the standard scale for digital betacam ?
Is the O2R standard always the EBU-r68 scale ?
Hope to see some reactions.

Jaap
Scott Dorsey

Jakeman wrote:
My conclusion, if you use the DIN PPM scale (RTW) and the EBU-r68 dBfs
scale, you have a headroom left of only 6 dB in the digital betacam.

You have as much headroom as you set.
Who knows the solution ? What's the standard scale for digital betacam ?

Standard in the US is for "zero tone" at -20 dbFS with a peak-reading
meter. Average level is kept around that mark. This gives you plenty
of slop room.

Is the O2R standard always the EBU-r68 scale ?

The 02R reads peak level with respect to full-scale, with a peak-hold
of some duration. No averaging, no ballistics issues. The broadcast
standards are all different.
Scott Dorsey

Jakeman wrote:
My conclusion, if you use the DIN PPM scale (RTW) and the EBU-r68 dBfs
scale, you have a headroom left of only 6 dB in the digital betacam.

You have as much headroom as you set.
Who knows the solution ? What's the standard scale for digital betacam ?

Standard in the US is for "zero tone" at -20 dbFS with a peak-reading
meter. Average level is kept around that mark. This gives you plenty
of slop room.

Is the O2R standard always the EBU-r68 scale ?

The 02R reads peak level with respect to full-scale, with a peak-hold
of some duration. No averaging, no ballistics issues. The broadcast
standards are all different.

DA78 and MX2424 max input dbfs not printed in manuals. Cameron Wiley Pro Audio 17 March 31st 04 08:52 AM
Digital Summing TYY Pro Audio 30 September 5th 03 08:31 PM
Louder IS Better (With Lossy) [email protected] Pro Audio 137 July 13th 03 08:44 AM