Mike Sims

Default Speaker "Breathing Room" ?

My new Diamond Audio component speakers will in fact mount fine in my
'95 Sentra door, but the magnet really puts some pressure on the plastic
protector inside the door. I am concerned that the plastic will
restrict air flow around the speaker, and cause it to not perform as
well as it could.

Any comments on this? Should I cut away at the plastic so the speaker
has more breathing room?

Kevin McMurtrie

In article ,
Mike Sims wrote:

My new Diamond Audio component speakers will in fact mount fine in my
'95 Sentra door, but the magnet really puts some pressure on the plastic
protector inside the door. I am concerned that the plastic will
restrict air flow around the speaker, and cause it to not perform as
well as it could.

Any comments on this? Should I cut away at the plastic so the speaker
has more breathing room?

You'll have to build a new rain guard if you cut it. See if you can
stretch the guard after softening it with a heat gun.
Quigmeister Quigolator Quiganology

Speaker "Breathing Room" ?

I have one of those.

All the speakers go there when it gets real hot in the car.

whoa ho ho
(there's nothing to do today aside from making a pain of myself)
www.MAINSTREET-AUDIO.com
~ ~ ~ Where SERVICE never goes out of style ~ ~ ~

V I S I T O U R F O R U M
http://63.74.14.174/forum/phpBB2/index.php

scott johnson

"Paul Vina" wrote in message

You'll have to build a new rain guard if you cut it.

Why? His speakers will handle some rain water just fine. If it was a

paper
cone then I might worry about it..........for a few minutes. His speakers
will be fine without the covers.

Paul Vina

it's possible to take a milk jug,a heat gun, and some spare time and build
new guards..........

Sanitarium

Thats what I thought till I ruined a pair of infinity 6.5s with rain
water in the door. Yes the cone survived but the water messed up the
spider, soaked half of it and that half kind of "curmbled" and failed to
support the voice coil on loud kick bass passages.

Garrett

Paul Vina wrote:

You'll have to build a new rain guard if you cut it.

Why? His speakers will handle some rain water just fine. If it was a paper
cone then I might worry about it..........for a few minutes. His speakers
will be fine without the covers.

Paul Vina

Paul Vina

Then you must have a ridiculous amount of water in your door. I have never
had an issue with water in a door mounted speaker, even paper cone speakers.
Heck, the factory paper speakers in my old Accord were fine for about 11
years in the door.

Paul Vina

Paul Vina wrote:

You'll have to build a new rain guard if you cut it.

Why? His speakers will handle some rain water just fine. If it was a

paper
cone then I might worry about it..........for a few minutes. His

speakers
will be fine without the covers.

Paul Vina

Sanitarium

I probably should elaborate...

I really hacked up the rain guard in the door. I was thinking I could
get my midbass to resonate a little lower. Had I left the protective
barrier alone, or been a little more carefull about where I put the
holes I'm sure it would have been fine.

Dont laugh... but It did a number on the door pannel as well. This was
my first attempt at a custom upholstered door panel. Heres the panel
after a good 6-7 years. The speaker died after 5-6 years and I tossed
them.

http://images.ofoto.com/photos420/4/...2405_0_ALB.jpg

Ive since replaced this panel with an MDF/ fiberglass one and used
varithane to weatherproof it, as well as adding the plastic water liner
in the door, speaker baffle and sealing it with GE sillicone.

So.. IMHO one should proceed with cautuon when perforating rain guards.
It can be done, but you have to be carefull and it wouldn't hurt to know
how the water flows through the door.

Just my thoughts...
Garrett

Paul Vina wrote:

You'll have to build a new rain guard if you cut it.

Why? His speakers will handle some rain water just fine. If it was a

paper
cone then I might worry about it..........for a few minutes. His

speakers
will be fine without the covers.

Paul Vina

Sanitarium

Sreange... I live in N. california and it doesn't even rain that much,
go figure.

Really kooky.

Garrett

Paul Vina wrote:

I probably should elaborate...

I really hacked up the rain guard in the door. I was thinking I could
get my midbass to resonate a little lower. Had I left the protective
barrier alone, or been a little more carefull about where I put the
holes I'm sure it would have been fine.

That's what I'm talking about. My Honda didn't even have them. Neither do
my wife's Jetta or my Passat and the speakers in both of them are fine. In
fact, it looks like no water has ever touched them. Kooky.

Paul Vina

Paul Vina wrote:

You'll have to build a new rain guard if you cut it.

Why? His speakers will handle some rain water just fine. If it was

paper
cone then I might worry about it..........for a few minutes. His
speakers
will be fine without the covers.

Paul Vina

Paul Vina

That's funny, I did a system for one of the VP's at Cisco about 2-3 years
ago in the Expedition he got his wife for her birthday. I'm at Beale AFB.
I'd lived in Sac since '84. I guess joining to travel was a bad idea!!

Paul Vina

"Sanitarium" wrote in message
San Jose CA.
I'm a mech engineer for Cisco Systems... design sheetmetal enclosures
and PCB mechanical components.

Garrett

Paul Vina wrote:

Where in N.CA? I up here too.