Posted to rec.audio.tech
Inez Inez is offline

Default An ignorant style question about amplifiers.

Hi!

My amplifier went dead. I was thinking that I might buy a 5 channel
amplifier due to my house having come with some built-in speakers that
are just clinging uselessly to the wall. My problem is that I still
listen to records, and as I understand it you need a special phono
input in order for a turntable to work. I can't seem to find a 5
channel amp that has phono inputs.

Is there an easy way around this problem? Can I get a doohickey of
some sort to convert my turntable to whatever it is the 5 channel amps
want? Or can someone recommend me an amplifier that has a phono
input?
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Inez" wrote in message
My amplifier went dead. I was thinking that I might buy a 5 channel
amplifier due to my house having come with some built-in speakers that
are just clinging uselessly to the wall. My problem is that I still
listen to records, and as I understand it you need a special phono
input in order for a turntable to work. I can't seem to find a 5
channel amp that has phono inputs.

Is there an easy way around this problem? Can I get a doohickey of
some sort to convert my turntable to whatever it is the 5 channel amps
want? Or can someone recommend me an amplifier that has a phono
input?

Difficult to find a 5 channel amp with phono input, but very EASY to find a
cheap phono pre-amp so you can plug the turntable/pre-amp into any AUX input
on the amplifier of your choice.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

"Inez" wrote in message
Hi!

My amplifier went dead. I was thinking that I might buy a 5 channel
amplifier due to my house having come with some built-in speakers that
are just clinging uselessly to the wall. My problem is that I still
listen to records, and as I understand it you need a special phono
input in order for a turntable to work. I can't seem to find a 5
channel amp that has phono inputs.

**Look harder. There are many available, though they tend to be slightly
more upmarket. In fact, I just looked around the workshop. Of the four units
I have in for service, only one lacked a phono input.

Is there an easy way around this problem? Can I get a doohickey of
some sort to convert my turntable to whatever it is the 5 channel amps
want? Or can someone recommend me an amplifier that has a phono
input?

**Google: 'phono preamp' or 'RIAA preamp'. There are many available ranging
from less than US$50.00 to several thousand.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 12/5/2009 7:03 PM Trevor Wilson spake thus:

"Inez" wrote in message

Is there an easy way around this problem? Can I get a doohickey of
some sort to convert my turntable to whatever it is the 5 channel amps
want? Or can someone recommend me an amplifier that has a phono
input?

**Google: 'phono preamp' or 'RIAA preamp'. There are many available ranging
from less than US$50.00 to several thousand.

Yes, and you certainly don't need any of those high-end ones. You can
also get one for a lot less than $50.

Here's one (a Pyle PP400) for $20:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...amplifier.html

--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.

- harvested from Usenet