Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.music.guitar,rec.music.classical.guitar
news poster news poster is offline

Default Best microphone for recording classical guitar?

Hello groups,
Could you please recommend a good microphone for recording classical
guitar - for a amateur-semi-pro budget? Brands, models?

My understanding is that a small capsule condenser microphone would be most
suitable. Any suggestions in those? Thank you very much.
Dave.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.music.guitar,rec.music.classical.guitar
Fugue Fugue is offline

On Oct 24, 5:41*pm, "news poster" wrote:
Hello groups,
Could you please recommend a good microphone for recording classical
guitar - for a amateur-semi-pro budget? *Brands, models?

My understanding is that a small capsule condenser microphone would be most
suitable. *Any suggestions in those? *Thank you very much.
Dave.

Rode made very nice quality mics--try the NT5.
Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.music.guitar,rec.music.classical.guitar

"news poster" wrote ...
Hello groups,
Could you please recommend a good microphone for recording classical
guitar - for a amateur-semi-pro budget? Brands, models?

My understanding is that a small capsule condenser microphone would be
most suitable. Any suggestions in those? Thank you very much.

We have not a clue what YOU mean by "amateur-semi-pro budget".
It might mean $30 or $300.

What mic(s) do you have now? How do you like them?

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.music.guitar,rec.music.classical.guitar
Matt Faunce Matt Faunce is offline

On Oct 24, 8:41*pm, "news poster" wrote:
Hello groups,
Could you please recommend a good microphone for recording classical
guitar - for a amateur-semi-pro budget? *Brands, models?

My understanding is that a small capsule condenser microphone would be most
suitable. *Any suggestions in those? *Thank you very much.
Dave.

Just know that the smaller the diaphram, the more accurate, but the
more noisy. That is, it will be accurate on transients (the most
important are the attacks) and frequency response, but suffer in
picking up quiet detail. The big diaphram mikes smear the attack and
aren't so accurate with the frequency response, but are very quiet so
the noise floor won't wash out some beautiful detail. Although that
detail wont be accurate. There are some very expensive small diaphram
mikes that are fairly quiet and there are some expensive large
diaphram mikes that have very thin diaphrams that can respond very
fast and are hung to be very accurate. Since you said semi-pro budget
you are best shooting right down the middle with a medium diaphram
mike like the one Fugue recommended.

Matt
Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.music.guitar,rec.music.classical.guitar
edspyhill01 edspyhill01 is offline

On Oct 24, 8:41*pm, "news poster" wrote:
Hello groups,
Could you please recommend a good microphone for recording classical
guitar - for a amateur-semi-pro budget? *Brands, models?

My understanding is that a small capsule condenser microphone would be most
suitable. *Any suggestions in those? *Thank you very much.
Dave.

I recommend the Rode NT3 condenser mic. It has a 3/4" diaphram. A
small diaphram is 0.5", a large diaphram mic is 1.0". The NT3 gives
you the best compromise. The Rode website has 3 sound samples, 2 with
acoustic steel string and voice and one doublebass sample.

Studio and Location Multi-Powered 3/4" Condenser Microphone

Stylish and modern, the NT3 is a studio and location workhorse. With
both 48V phantom and internal 9V battery operation, this RØDE is at
home anywhere.

Intended for studio, stage and location work, this versatile handheld
or stand mounted microphone incorporates a true externally polarized
condenser transducer with an internal capsule shock mounting system,
and an ultra-low noise electronic circuit that has a high immunity to
R.F. interference.

The NT3 incorporates a rugged welded and heat-treated mesh head and
all metal body.
•True condenser externally biased 3/4" capsule
•Dual power operation
•Cast metal body with durable satin-nickel finish
•Transformerless output
•Internal capsule shock mounting
•High level of RF rejection
•Audio-grade surface mount components
•Full frequency response
•Battery status indicator

http://www.rodemic.com/microphone.php?product=NT3

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.music.guitar,rec.music.classical.guitar
LarryATahoe LarryATahoe is offline

Studio Projects C4. Great mic set for the money. The poor man's
Neumann. In some circumstances, even better than Neumann.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.music.guitar,rec.music.classical.guitar

On Oct 24, 10:49*pm, edspyhill01 wrote:

I recommend the Rode NT3 condenser mic. *It has a 3/4" diaphram. *A
small diaphram is 0.5", a large diaphram mic is 1.0". *The NT3 gives
you the best compromise.

I bet the NT3 is a very good mike. I own two Avenson Audio mikes with
1/4" dia. So I considered both 1/2 to 3/4" to be mediums. But I think
you're right, people call 1/2" small.

Listen to Comme un Rêve and Gymnommage on my MySpace to hear the
Avensons on my classical guitar.

http://www.myspace.com/matthewjohnfaunce

Matt
Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.music.guitar,rec.music.classical.guitar
Tashi Tashi is offline

On Oct 24, 6:41*pm, "news poster" wrote:
Hello groups,
Could you please recommend a good microphone for recording classical
guitar - for a amateur-semi-pro budget? *Brands, models?

My understanding is that a small capsule condenser microphone would be most
suitable. *Any suggestions in those? *Thank you very much.
Dave.

Try a Sony PCM D50
http://www.wingfieldaudio.com/portab...d-samples.html
Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.music.guitar,rec.music.classical.guitar
JPD JPD is offline

On Oct 24, 5:41*pm, "news poster" wrote:
Hello groups,
Could you please recommend a good microphone for recording classical
guitar - for a amateur-semi-pro budget? *Brands, models?

My understanding is that a small capsule condenser microphone would be most
suitable. *Any suggestions in those? *Thank you very much.
Dave.

I just bought an Edirol R-09HR from Amazon...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016MLUKU/?tag=tracklink-20

....based on a review I saw by Kevin Gallagher ...
http://preview.tinyurl.com/yzpcw4s

I've been playing with it a few days and I certainly like it as a
"field recorder" (I'm going to take it to a live music venue later
this week and see how it goes) and also as a "sketchbook" recorder to
have nearby whenever and wherever I am playing guitar. Whether it will
work out as the recorder of choice for my "official" recordings
remains to be seen, but some of the glowing reviews I've been reading
suggest that it's not out of the question.

The second link (above) also shows what Kevin can do with the Edirol,
playing Falla's /Homenaje/.
Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.music.guitar,rec.music.classical.guitar
news poster news poster is offline

Thank you everybody for the replies. This is exactly what I was after. I
will go through all these and hope to feedback some of my results. I'm
going to get to it right now!
Dave

"JPD" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.music.guitar,rec.music.classical.guitar

On Oct 25, 1:38*am, JPD wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the links. I have the Edirol R-1, the first generation of
the Edirol recorder. After watching several videos, especially the
Giuliani counterpoint lesson, I'm thinking about taking lessons from
Kevin Gallagher via Skype. I'm ready to restart lessons.
Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.music.guitar,rec.music.classical.guitar
Alain Reiher Alain Reiher is offline

"JPD" wrote in message
[...]

==========
Thanks once more JDP!
What a nice person Kevin Gallagher seems to be! Gentle, generous and ...
humble. I like his quirky smile when he says that he usually do his
recording around 3 Am!
I hope I can met him one of these days.
Edirol R-09HR sounds good ... and the price is not bad at all!
Hope you will make a review of it when you get accustom to it..

Alain

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.music.guitar,rec.music.classical.guitar

news poster wrote:

Hello groups,
Could you please recommend a good microphone for recording classical
guitar - for a amateur-semi-pro budget? Brands, models?

You need to consider the guitar and you DO need to consider the room as well
as the recording style. I would only consider a microphone for a classical
guitar if an ensemble member, if soloist with ensemble or solo, then we're
speaking pair.

My understanding is that a small capsule condenser microphone would
be most suitable. Any suggestions in those?

DPA4006 with nosecone is imo the first choice, but omni-types are not always
a good choice. KM(1)84 from Neumann and AKG CK452EB/CK1 or one of them new
fancy CK451's with fixed capsule comes next. And then there are various
Schoeps models. In the budget range there is the Sennheiser E614, but that
suggestion is specs based, I haven't heard it. And also in the budget range
you find the MXL 603 - sonically reportedly very much like the Oktava MC12
(?), I have heard the Oktava, I haven't heard the MXL, but it is on my "go
get a pair some day" list. I like my Shure KSM 141's very much but they
would not be the first choice on guitar in spite of doing wonders on a
cello, however in a one mic pair family they can be quite useful because of
being able to do omni work and as omni's they may well suit your recording
context very well.

I didn't not state disagreement with other suggestions. Some of the time
some mic works very well only if properly eq'ed, whatever that is, and some
other times that very mic works well with no eq. "Linear response" gets a
lot less simple as soon as you leave the lab ..... it gets to be about
miking distance and instrument characteristic in whatever direction you
reocrd it from and room reflections and ... and .... I'll rather have an
open sounding mic that I have to tame a bit with eq than one that sounds
boring that I can't ""energize"" no matter how much I eq.

Thank you very much

Allow me to help you, notice what I removed, you could put an exclamition
mark, but the . is in that specific place negative and suggests
dissatisfaction. That may be contested and it is a subtlety ... but the .
makes it a "thanks and only thanks."

Dave

And do not finish yourself off from the context. So no . there as well.

Oh, Scott Dorsey likes Josephson's stuff. You might want to check it out.

Note: the secret of making good second hand purchases is to be patient and
to know how to search .... the largest difficulty may be that it can be
difficult for a newbie to evaluate whether a second hand mic is ok on
arrival or not. Do not make second hand purchases if you are not prepared
for a bit of risk taking ... and remember that the price should reflect the
risk, check the range stuff "goes at"!

All things considered and in spite of not having heard it I think you should
get a MXL 603 pair as starter pair, I think the 603S comes with omni as well
as cardioid capsule. That stuff is good enough to remain useful for you for
years to come.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.music.guitar,rec.music.classical.guitar

On 10/25/2009 3:22 PM Peter Larsen spake thus:

news poster wrote:

Thank you very much[.]

Allow me to help you, notice what I removed, you could put an exclamition
mark, but the . is in that specific place negative and suggests
dissatisfaction. That may be contested and it is a subtlety ... but the .
makes it a "thanks and only thanks."

What the *hell* are you talking about? A period at the end of that
sentence makes perfect sense.

Dave[.]

And do not finish yourself off from the context. So no . there as well.

WTF?!?!?!

The guy asks for some advice on mikes and you give him a grammar lesson
(and an erroneous one at that)?!?!?

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.music.guitar,rec.music.classical.guitar
Andrew Schulman Andrew Schulman is offline

On Oct 25, 7:46*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
What the *hell* are you talking about? A period at the end of that
sentence makes perfect sense.

The guy asks for some advice on mikes and you give him a grammar lesson
(and an erroneous one at that)?!?!?

Yes, there are often funny/silly posts here at RMCG and that one fits
in quite nicely. Let me rephrase that - and that one fits in quite
nicely!

Andrew

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.music.guitar,rec.music.classical.guitar

David Nebenzahl wrote:

What the *hell* are you talking about?

GP english, I thought that was obvious from the context. You do not put . in
the signature part, if the "Thank you very much" had been in the body, then
you had been right, as a signature line, no "." ...

The guy asks for some advice on mikes and you give him a grammar
lesson

Feel free to find that wrong, misplaced, inpolite or arrogant or "all of the
above"

(and an erroneous one at that)?!?!?

but what I wrote is correct.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.music.guitar,rec.music.classical.guitar
Andrew Schulman Andrew Schulman is offline

On Oct 29, 8:51*am, "Peter Larsen" wrote:
but what I wrote is correct.

*

Nah!

Andrew
Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.music.guitar,rec.music.classical.guitar

On 10/29/2009 10:39 AM Andrew Schulman spake thus:

On Oct 29, 8:51 am, "Peter Larsen" wrote:

but what I wrote is correct.

Nah!

And in any case his "grammar lesson" was D) arrogant.

--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?

- harvested from Usenet
Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.music.guitar,rec.music.classical.guitar

David Nebenzahl wrote:

And in any case his "grammar lesson" was D) arrogant.

Fortunately you and Andrew Schulman never suffer from that ailment, nor do
you ever pick a nit.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.tech,uk.music.guitar,rec.music.classical.guitar
mikea mikea is offline

In rec.audio.tech news poster wrote:
Hello groups,
Could you please recommend a good microphone for recording classical
guitar - for a amateur-semi-pro budget? Brands, models?

My understanding is that a small capsule condenser microphone would be most
suitable. Any suggestions in those? Thank you very much.

My Zoom H4 does a very nice job on classical guitar -- good enough to
amaze the audio/video production guy next door. He thought I'd used a
pair of high-dollar mikes. Nope; just the H4 on a tripod in a quiet
room.

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO

Tired old sysadmin