Marc Phillips

Default O.T. Grocery clerks strike

Yustabe said:

In France the cashiers are seated. More humane, no?

Stronger union?

Nope. Bigger wimps.

Boon
George M. Middius

Sockpuppet Yustabe said:

In France the cashiers are seated. More humane, no?

Stronger union?

No eating or drinking at the cash register, either. (I really suspect
that was some California Dreamin'.)

Sockpuppet Yustabe

"George M. Middius" wrote in message

Nexus 6 said:

Grocery work ain't cushy either. Who's that you replied to? They
work their butts off. Cashiers have to stand at a register, doing
the same monotonous thing, for up to three hours at a time. No
sitting, note. No coffee breaks. It's not like a steel mill, but
neither is it like the office work most of us do. (Offense intended
to Krooger.)

I know it ain't cushy - my audio jobs often requirted
standing on my feet ten hours a day without a minute sitting
down. Not as repetitive, but hey.

It was Marc & Art I was replying to.

Let's hear from Marc and/or Art, then, about how grocery workers
have cushy jobs. I'll grant the pay is good for the skills required,
but I want to hear an explication of the "cushiness".

But I wasn't talking about whether or not their jobs were cushy.
Somewhere between then and now, someone else changed the
subject.

George M. Middius

Sockpuppet Yustabe said:

Let's hear from Marc and/or Art, then, about how grocery workers
have cushy jobs. I'll grant the pay is good for the skills required,
but I want to hear an explication of the "cushiness".

But I wasn't talking about whether or not their jobs were cushy.
Somewhere between then and now, someone else changed the
subject.

OK, never mind. Marc explained what he meant. Turns out a grocery
cashier's job in California is indeed somewhat cushier than in other
parts of the country.

Sockpuppet Yustabe

"Nexus 6" wrote in message

Sockpuppet Yustabe wrote:

"Nexus 6" wrote in message

The part time situation was part of the Clinton Jobs
Miracle, wherein 80% or more of the millions of jobs created
during his tenure were of the benfitless, part time variety.

I suspect, if there is any recovery during Shrubs first
term, it will be of the same quality.

Nexus 6

Maybe the working poor are the ones who need job creation the most.

Certainly.

Real, full time jobs with benefits.....

......or none at all?

Marc Phillips

Mr. Middius said:

Sockpuppet Yustabe said:

Let's hear from Marc and/or Art, then, about how grocery workers
have cushy jobs. I'll grant the pay is good for the skills required,
but I want to hear an explication of the "cushiness".

But I wasn't talking about whether or not their jobs were cushy.
Somewhere between then and now, someone else changed the
subject.

OK, never mind. Marc explained what he meant. Turns out a grocery
cashier's job in California is indeed somewhat cushier than in other
parts of the country.

It is. I can remember when I was a teenager, and getting a job in a grocery
store was considered the best job a kid could get. A friend of mine made it
in, and even though he found it difficult to come up with the $110 he needed to
get into the union, within weeks he was making two to three times as much money
as the rest of us.

Also, recent advances in cash register technology have made it incredibly easy
to do the job. Cashiers don't even have those little binders anymore listing
the codes, because the register does everything. That's one of the reasons why
self checkouts are becoming so popular. Cashiers have become glorified
greeters. I think they picked a bad time to make a stand.

Boon
George M. Middius

Marc Phillips said:

Also, recent advances in cash register technology have made it incredibly easy
to do the job. Cashiers don't even have those little binders anymore listing
the codes, because the register does everything. That's one of the reasons why
self checkouts are becoming so popular.

I haven't seen those super-smart registers yet. Are you seriously
telling us that somebody as dorky as, say, Arnii Krooger could do
the job?

Cashiers have become glorified greeters.

Except for the minimal required social skills, of course.

Nexus 6

Sockpuppet Yustabe wrote:

"Nexus 6" wrote in message

The part time situation was part of the Clinton Jobs
Miracle, wherein 80% or more of the millions of jobs created
during his tenure were of the benfitless, part time variety.

I suspect, if there is any recovery during Shrubs first
term, it will be of the same quality.

Nexus 6

Maybe the working poor are the ones who need job creation the most.

Certainly.

Real, full time jobs with benefits.....

.....or none at all?

In a race to the bottom, which one is better?

Nexus 6

Marc Phillips

Mr. Middius said:

I haven't seen those super-smart registers yet. Are you seriously
telling us that somebody as dorky as, say, Arnii Krooger could do
the job?

**** no. You have to have social skills.

Boon
Sockpuppet Yustabe

"Nexus 6" wrote in message

Sockpuppet Yustabe wrote:

"Nexus 6" wrote in message

The part time situation was part of the Clinton Jobs
Miracle, wherein 80% or more of the millions of jobs created
during his tenure were of the benfitless, part time variety.

I suspect, if there is any recovery during Shrubs first
term, it will be of the same quality.

Nexus 6

Maybe the working poor are the ones who need job creation the most.

Certainly.

Real, full time jobs with benefits.....

.....or none at all?

In a race to the bottom, which one is better?

The best that can be realisitically achieved.

Michael Mckelvy

"Sockpuppet Yustabe" wrote in message

"MiNE 109" wrote in message

In France the cashiers are seated. More humane, no?

Stronger union?

Interesting news item today.

The UCFW (I believe those are the correct initials for the Grocery workers
union) says IT WILL NO LONGER BE ABLE TO OFFER HEALTH BENEFITS THAT COVER
ALL MEDICAL BILLS DUE TO RISISNG COSTS! Can you say Hypocrisy.

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

Sockpuppet Yustabe

"MiNE 109" wrote in message

In France the cashiers are seated. More humane, no?

Stronger union?

Interesting news item today.

The UCFW (I believe those are the correct initials for the Grocery workers
union) says IT WILL NO LONGER BE ABLE TO OFFER HEALTH BENEFITS THAT COVER
ALL MEDICAL BILLS DUE TO RISISNG COSTS! Can you say Hypocrisy.

Employees of unions have been known to go on strike!

No matter what, a boss is a boss is a boss is an asshole.

Michael Mckelvy

"Nexus 6" wrote in message

The part time situation was part of the Clinton Jobs
Miracle, wherein 80% or more of the millions of jobs created
during his tenure were of the benfitless, part time variety.

I suspect, if there is any recovery during Shrubs first
term, it will be of the same quality.

Nexus 6

Maybe the working poor are the ones who need job creation the most.

Then you should be supporting more and larger tax cuts.

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

dave weil

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:07:44 -0800, "Michael Mckelvy"
wrote:

Maybe the working poor are the ones who need job creation the most.

Then you should be supporting more and larger tax cuts.

Yeah, all of those poor people really need capital gains tax
reduction.
George M. Middius

dave weil said:

Then you should be supporting more and larger tax cuts.

Yeah, all of those poor people really need capital gains tax
reduction.

And relief on those onerous inheritance taxes.

Sockpuppet Yustabe

"Nexus 6" wrote in message

The part time situation was part of the Clinton Jobs
Miracle, wherein 80% or more of the millions of jobs created
during his tenure were of the benfitless, part time variety.

I suspect, if there is any recovery during Shrubs first
term, it will be of the same quality.

Nexus 6

Maybe the working poor are the ones who need job creation the most.

Then you should be supporting more and larger tax cuts.

Did I say that I didn't?
I support equitable and sensible tax cuts.
Every bracket should be lowered by about 3% of taxable income.
That is, 28% bracket would be 25%, 15% would be 12%, etc.
I also believe that there should be a minimum and a maximum
tax, as applied to *gross* income. No one should pay less than 10%
of all gross income over about $25,000 per year, nor more than
25% of their gross income.

Michael Mckelvy

"Sockpuppet Yustabe" wrote in message

"Marc Phillips" wrote in message

These guys are striking because they're going to have to pay
a $5 to $15 co-payment, something I and a majority of other health plan
participants already have to do.

Is that the only issue??
If the family sees a doctor 10 times, that's only $150.
That equates to 7 1/2 cents an hour, over a year.
They are striking over inconsequential economics?
Not being out there, I am not keeping up.
But it seems to me that there must be other issues.

You can read the contract they are being offered at www.kfi640.com click on
John and Ken and find it on the menu.

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

Sockpuppet Yustabe

"Michael Mckelvy" wrote in message

"Sockpuppet Yustabe" wrote in message

"Marc Phillips" wrote in message

These guys are striking because they're going to have to pay
a $5 to $15 co-payment, something I and a majority of other health

plan
participants already have to do.

Is that the only issue??
If the family sees a doctor 10 times, that's only $150.
That equates to 7 1/2 cents an hour, over a year.
They are striking over inconsequential economics?
Not being out there, I am not keeping up.
But it seems to me that there must be other issues.

You can read the contract they are being offered at www.kfi640.com click

on
John and Ken and find it on the menu.

Answere better by marc, previously

Michael Mckelvy

wrote:

Maybe the working poor are the ones who need job creation the most.

Then you should be supporting more and larger tax cuts.

Yeah, all of those poor people really need capital gains tax
reduction.

No but the middle class do, since they are a significant percentage of those
invested in the stock market. Oh no reality again. Kryptonite.