Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

Default Live vs Overdubbing

Tammy Wynette - Stand By Your Man (1968) Stereo. Take #4 of this famous song (may have been issued by mistake). I admire Producer, Billy Sherrill, even when others were typically overdubbing, Billy, like Tom Dowd [engineer], desired "live" studio recordings. However, people like Al Kooper, didn't mind overdubbing.
So, so much for "engineers" deciding sound quality and how music was recorded...

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...standbyman.mp3

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro

JackA wrote:

" Tammy Wynette - Stand By Your Man (1968) Stereo. Take #4 of this famous song (may have been issued by mistake). I admire Producer, Billy Sherrill, even when others were typically overdubbing, Billy, like Tom Dowd [engineer], desired "live" studio recordings. However, people like Al Kooper, didn't mind overdubbing. "

http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...standbyman.mp3

** There was an interview once with Tammy Wynette about the recording of that song - seems she had a dose of flu at the time and had to be pressured into turning up to the recording session.

She was very worried about singing the high part near the end and agreed that she would have just one go at it and later that day did. It was judged to be good enough and became the famous recording.

He voice does sound very husky on the take you linked....

BTW:

I read a review in a US hi-fi magazine ( Stereophile ?) of one of her early albums. The reviewer was not fond of the material or the singer.

The review finished with the comment:

" Ms Wynette's voice has all the warmth of a soiled nappy."

..... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 9:11:01 AM UTC-4, Phil Allison wrote:
JackA wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Phil.

Odd to find an "audio" magazine critiquing singing quality.
But, they all have decayed over the years.

Jack