Robert J Dewar

Default Great *sounding* CD recommendation?

New York Reunion- McCoy Tyner
Personnel: McCoy Tyner (piano); Joe Henderson (tenor saxophone); Ron Carter
(bass); Al Foster (drums). Recorded At RCA Studio A, New York, New York on
April 3-4, 1991. Includes liner notes by Bret Primack.

This is often mentioned as a great sounding recording. THe music ain`t half
bad, either! Also available as a hybrid SACD if you are so inclined. I
think my next CD player is going to be a multi (ie) able to play SACD,
DVDaudio etc. Anybody have one of those?

Robert J Dewar

"chris lee" wrote in message
om...
Can anyone recommend a cd that *sounds* great, regardless of the style
of music (but preferably jazz). I listen mostly to hip hop and
electronica, and while I enjoy the music, often the sound quality
isn't the best (partly, I think, because the music is produced by
sampling rather than by real instruments). I recently upgraded my
stereo, and the difference between good sounding CDs and average
sounding ones is very obvious. I bought the remastered 'Kind of Blue'
recently and it sounds fantastic. I'm not asking for CDs you like,
but ones which have a noticeable clarity of sound. Any other
recommendations would be welcome.

peace
chris

lew@csus_abcdefg.edu

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.audio.misc.]
On 2004-06-09, chris lee wrote:
Can anyone recommend a cd that *sounds* great, regardless of the style
of music (but preferably jazz). I listen mostly to hip hop and
electronica, and while I enjoy the music, often the sound quality
isn't the best (partly, I think, because the music is produced by
sampling rather than by real instruments). I recently upgraded my
stereo, and the difference between good sounding CDs and average
sounding ones is very obvious. I bought the remastered 'Kind of Blue'
recently and it sounds fantastic. I'm not asking for CDs you like,
but ones which have a noticeable clarity of sound. Any other
recommendations would be welcome.

peace
chris

You might also check "www.referencerecordings.com" for their jazz
CDs, especially the demos.
ric

Robert J Dewar wrote:

This is often mentioned as a great sounding recording. THe music ain`t half
bad, either! Also available as a hybrid SACD if you are so inclined. I
think my next CD player is going to be a multi (ie) able to play SACD,
DVDaudio etc. Anybody have one of those?

Yes. Players that will play CDs and SACDs are relatively common, but
true universal players (DVD-V, DVD-A, CD, SACD) are more rare - and
expensive.

Check out the Marantz line at:

http://www.amusicdirect.com/products...sp?mfr=MARANTZ

--
Better than hearing "Lady Day", or checking in at Monterey...
~GT~

"ric" wrote in message ...
chris lee wrote:

If your system doesn't support SACD or DVD-A, you are missing out on
great sound.

I've heard those demonstrated up at Meyer-Emco. They are formats for
anal-retentive audiophiles who obsess over every note. And if it's an old
recording, you get a lot of tape-hiss to go along with it.

The new blue-ray technology that will be coming out in a couple of years
will put both of those formats to shame.

Besides, you have to buy two ****ing players in order to cover everything.
Do you have the time, money and space for that? And what happens when one
format wins out over the other? You'll be stuck with the equivalent of an
old laserdisc or DAT player.

I suggest holding off until you know for certain what format will win out in
the marketplace and will be around for awhile.

Kalman Rubinson

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 17:55:41 -0400, "~GT~" none wrote:

Besides, you have to buy two ****ing players in order to cover everything.

Or an inexpensive universal player.

Kal

~GT~

"Kalman Rubinson" wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 17:55:41 -0400, "~GT~" none wrote:

Besides, you have to buy two ****ing players in order to cover

everything.

Or an inexpensive universal player.

And how many models are out there that'll cover everything?

One? Two? Three?

Kalman Rubinson

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 22:31:31 -0400, "~GT~" none wrote:

"Kalman Rubinson" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 17:55:41 -0400, "~GT~" none wrote:

Besides, you have to buy two ****ing players in order to cover

everything.

Or an inexpensive universal player.

And how many models are out there that'll cover everything?

One? Two? Three?

Cheap ones, probably. Without regard to budget, a dozen or more. How
many do you need?

Kal
usenet

~GT~ wrote:
"ric" wrote in message ...

chris lee wrote:

If your system doesn't support SACD or DVD-A, you are missing out on
great sound.

I've heard those demonstrated up at Meyer-Emco. They are formats for
anal-retentive audiophiles who obsess over every note. And if it's an old
recording, you get a lot of tape-hiss to go along with it.

The new blue-ray technology that will be coming out in a couple of years
will put both of those formats to shame.

Besides, you have to buy two ****ing players in order to cover everything.
Do you have the time, money and space for that? And what happens when one
format wins out over the other? You'll be stuck with the equivalent of an
old laserdisc or DAT player.

I suggest holding off until you know for certain what format will win out in
the marketplace and will be around for awhile.

In the meantime get yourself an inexpensive universal player and check
out some of the 5.1 recordings. The Dark Side of the Moon is excellent
in surround sound. My player is a Pioneer DV-563A, about $120 on sale.
It plays almost everything.
~GT~

"Kalman Rubinson" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 22:31:31 -0400, "~GT~" none wrote:

"Kalman Rubinson" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 17:55:41 -0400, "~GT~" none wrote:

Besides, you have to buy two ****ing players in order to cover

everything.

Or an inexpensive universal player.

And how many models are out there that'll cover everything?

One? Two? Three?

Cheap ones, probably. Without regard to budget, a dozen or more. How
many do you need?

If this is the way the industry is going, then it should be standard on ALL
players.

If not then why not? You tell me....

George M. Middius

~GT~ said:

Or an inexpensive universal player.

And how many models are out there that'll cover everything?
One? Two? Three?

Cheap ones, probably. Without regard to budget, a dozen or more. How
many do you need?

If this is the way the industry is going, then it should be standard on ALL
players.

Or not.

If not then why not? You tell me....

Because not every product on the market is aimed at the utilitarian
niche. This is not unique to electronics, you know. Ford just came out
with a hybrid SUV that gets much better mileage than the gasoline
ones. If technology that yields improved fuel economy is workable, why
aren't all cars so equipped? You tell me....

~GT~

"George M. Middius" wrote in message

~GT~ said:

Or an inexpensive universal player.

And how many models are out there that'll cover everything?
One? Two? Three?

Cheap ones, probably. Without regard to budget, a dozen or more. How
many do you need?

If this is the way the industry is going, then it should be standard on

ALL
players.

Or not.

If not then why not? You tell me....

Because not every product on the market is aimed at the utilitarian
niche. This is not unique to electronics, you know. Ford just came out

Or maybe it more a matter of which corporation wins the marketing war. And
those that are stuck with the losers product, wind up with a pile of
unstandardized junk.

with a hybrid SUV that gets much better mileage than the gasoline
ones. If technology that yields improved fuel economy is workable, why
aren't all cars so equipped? You tell me....

They'll have to. We have no choice.

Within the next 10 years, I predict all autos will be either hybrids or
fully electric, with hydrogen cars on the horizon after that.

Will all CD players come standardized with DVD-A or SACD? Or will another
technology come along immediately thereafter and render these two obsolete
within a short period of time?

With LPs, we had 60 years. With CDs we've had almost 25.

How long will DVD-A or SACD be around?

Who will win?

George M. Middius

~GT~ said:

If not then why not? You tell me....

Because not every product on the market is aimed at the utilitarian
niche.

Or maybe it more a matter of which corporation wins the marketing war. And
those that are stuck with the losers product, wind up with a pile of
unstandardized junk.

BZZZZZZT! Wrong answer.

This is not unique to electronics, you know. Ford just came out
with a hybrid SUV that gets much better mileage than the gasoline
ones. If technology that yields improved fuel economy is workable, why
aren't all cars so equipped? You tell me....

They'll have to. We have no choice.

Excuse me, O Omniscient One. We have the choice NOW. The carmakers could
deliver a fleet that gets at least one-third better mileage within 18
months or less. The technology exists NOW. If they were to combine
hybrid engines with the better gasoline tech that's now getting dusty in
the storerooms, new cars would get double the mileage they get today.
This is reality, not drawing-board schemes.

Within the next 10 years, I predict all autos will be either hybrids or
fully electric, with hydrogen cars on the horizon after that.

I predict you're wrong. Time will tell.

Hydrogen powered engines are at least 25 years away, according to
experts in the industry and academe.

Will all CD players come standardized with DVD-A or SACD? Or will another
technology come along immediately thereafter and render these two obsolete
within a short period of time?

Maybe from the viewpoint you're espousing -- that the only
differentiator between optical drives is the quantity of features. The
divide you're contemplating is not about technology, though.

With LPs, we had 60 years. With CDs we've had almost 25.

How long will DVD-A or SACD be around?

Who will win?

Why torture yourself? Kal was right about the plethora of multi-format
players on the market. They start at $50 or so.

ric

~GT~ wrote:

If your system doesn't support SACD or DVD-A, you are missing out on
great sound.

I've heard those demonstrated up at Meyer-Emco. They are formats for
anal-retentive audiophiles who obsess over every note. And if it's an old
recording, you get a lot of tape-hiss to go along with it.

Ah...the ignorant vote has been cast.

Besides, you have to buy two ****ing players in order to cover everything.
Do you have the time, money and space for that? And what happens when one
format wins out over the other? You'll be stuck with the equivalent of an
old laserdisc or DAT player.

So the players that play CD, SACD, DVD-A, et. al. don't really exist?
Hmmm...either my player really isn't there *or* this is another ignorant
comment from someone who specializes in making same.

I suggest holding off until you know for certain what format will win out in
the marketplace and will be around for awhile.

I suggest you find a topic about which you know something, or stick to
your ****ing contests with sum1.

--
Better than hearing "Lady Day", or checking in at Monterey...
~GT~

~GT~ said:

If not then why not? You tell me....

Because not every product on the market is aimed at the utilitarian
niche.

Or maybe it more a matter of which corporation wins the marketing war.

And
those that are stuck with the losers product, wind up with a pile of
unstandardized junk.

BZZZZZZT! Wrong answer.

No an answer you don't want to hear, is more like it....

It's sounds like you've already made that investment, I put it down, you
took it personally, so now you're ****ed off. Right?

Or can you answer the question without leaving your CAPS set on, 'on'?

This is not unique to electronics, you know. Ford just came out
with a hybrid SUV that gets much better mileage than the gasoline
ones. If technology that yields improved fuel economy is workable, why
aren't all cars so equipped? You tell me....

They'll have to. We have no choice.

Excuse me, O Omniscient One. We have the choice NOW. The carmakers could

Excuse me pal, but as long as we're dependent on finite middle-eastern oil,
then we have NO choice BUT to change. NONE. It'll either go fairly
smoothly or it will go fairly painfully. One of the two.

deliver a fleet that gets at least one-third better mileage within 18
months or less. The technology exists NOW. If they were to combine
hybrid engines with the better gasoline tech that's now getting dusty in
the storerooms, new cars would get double the mileage they get today.
This is reality, not drawing-board schemes.

Because the government isn't pushing it right now. CAFE standards are down
which is why so many big, gas-guzzling SUVs are being sold. With gas prices
the way they are, why change?

The current marketplace IS dictating it right now, not giving automakers an
even greater incentive to change. But that will change. It has to.

Within the next 10 years, I predict all autos will be either hybrids or
fully electric, with hydrogen cars on the horizon after that.

I predict you're wrong. Time will tell.

Yes when gasoline hits $10 a gallon, time will tell. The world isn't filled
with infinite gasoline supplies. My prediction still stands.

Hydrogen powered engines are at least 25 years away, according to
experts in the industry and academe.

I think it's sooner than that, which is why hybrids and full-electrics will
be the standard between today's fully gasolined cars and tomorrow's
hydrogen-powered ones. Already, there's a waiting list for the few hybrids
that are already on the market, with auto makers starting to offer even more
models on the horizon.

Have you been to any auto shows, lately? You'll see what I mean.

Will all CD players come standardized with DVD-A or SACD? Or will

another
technology come along immediately thereafter and render these two

obsolete
within a short period of time?

Maybe from the viewpoint you're espousing -- that the only
differentiator between optical drives is the quantity of features. The
divide you're contemplating is not about technology, though.

No, it's about marketing, which was my whole point to begin with in the last
post.

With LPs, we had 60 years. With CDs we've had almost 25.

How long will DVD-A or SACD be around?

Who will win?

Why torture yourself? Kal was right about the plethora of multi-format
players on the market. They start at $50 or so.

I'm not "torturing" myself. What is it with these flowery words, anyway?
It's not my money I'm going to waste on a format that I consider still up in
the air. If one format loses out in the format wars, or manufacturers
decide to drop a hardware format in their players, then you'll be stuck with
a bunch of unplayable CDs. It doesn't take rocket-science to figure that
one out.

When all the makers agree on one format, OR all players are at least fully
multi-formated as standard, then I'll consider a change.

There are other factors to consider besides instant aural gratification. I
take those into account.

ric

~GT~ wrote:

If this is the way the industry is going, then it should be standard on ALL
players.

I've seen SACD capability on DVD players costing less than $150. SACD
is a relatively new thing, but there are now over 2,000 titles available
in SACD, with more being released every Tuesday. Even Amazon now has a
SACD section. Besides, *any* CD player can play hybrid SACDs.

--
Better than hearing "Lady Day", or checking in at Monterey...

George M. Middius

~GT~ said:

If not then why not? You tell me....

Because not every product on the market is aimed at the utilitarian
niche.

That was the main part of the issue I opened.

Or maybe it more a matter of which corporation wins the marketing war.
those that are stuck with the losers product, wind up with a pile of
unstandardized junk.

BZZZZZZT! Wrong answer.

No an answer you don't want to hear, is more like it....

No, it was a dodge, an evasion, a pusillanimous pussy-footing.

It's sounds like you've already made that investment, I put it down, you
took it personally, so now you're ****ed off. Right?

Wrong. I was correcting your brainless take on issues you don't
understand.

Do you know what "niche" means? Do you know what "utilitarian" means?

Or can you answer the question without leaving your CAPS set on, 'on'?

Can't tell what you're grunting and straining to say. Try to ask your
question in a comprehensible dialect.

~GT~

"George M. Middius" wrote in message

Or maybe it more a matter of which corporation wins the marketing

war.
those that are stuck with the losers product, wind up with a pile of
unstandardized junk.

BZZZZZZT! Wrong answer.

No an answer you don't want to hear, is more like it....

No, it was a dodge, an evasion, a pusillanimous pussy-footing.

Nope. I answered your question. You didn't like the answer. Fine. Just
say so. If you can't then that's fine too.

It's sounds like you've already made that investment, I put it down, you
took it personally, so now you're ****ed off. Right?

Wrong. I was correcting your brainless take on issues you don't
understand.

Hmmm...ad hominem attacks. The speech of last resort.

Gee are 'we' getting ****ed off because I don't see things the same way you
see them?

Too bad. Tough....

I think you're the one that doesn't understand.

Do you know what "niche" means? Do you know what "utilitarian" means?

Yes and yes. Your point? Your point?

Or can you answer the question without leaving your CAPS set on, 'on'?

Can't tell what you're grunting and straining to say. Try to ask your
question in a comprehensible dialect.

I think you understand what I've said, but since you're going to get
immature and testy about it, then we have no more to say, now do we?

~GT~

"ric" wrote in message ...
~GT~ wrote:

If this is the way the industry is going, then it should be standard on

ALL
players.

I've seen SACD capability on DVD players costing less than $150. SACD

Sure you have. Sony and a couple of other makers have been cutting their
hardware prices in order for you to buy their standard. I'll bet the folks
over at DVD-A are doing the same.

is a relatively new thing, but there are now over 2,000 titles available
in SACD, with more being released every Tuesday. Even Amazon now has a
SACD section. Besides, *any* CD player can play hybrid SACDs.

2,000 is still a drop in the bucket. Even after almost 25 years, standard
CDs still haven't caught up with LP cataloges.

As far as SACD hybrids are concerned, they won't play properly on my new
Kenwood CD changer. I avoid them like the plague.

~GT~

"ric" wrote in message ...
~GT~ wrote:

If your system doesn't support SACD or DVD-A, you are missing out on
great sound.

I've heard those demonstrated up at Meyer-Emco. They are formats for
anal-retentive audiophiles who obsess over every note. And if it's an

old
recording, you get a lot of tape-hiss to go along with it.

Ah...the ignorant vote has been cast.

Ah, another anal-retentive audiophile. No, my subjective opinion has been
cast.

Besides, you have to buy two ****ing players in order to cover

everything.
Do you have the time, money and space for that? And what happens when

one
format wins out over the other? You'll be stuck with the equivalent of

an
old laserdisc or DAT player.

So the players that play CD, SACD, DVD-A, et. al. don't really exist?

Did I say that they didn't exist at all? Sure there are plenty of players
that will play CD and SACD. Or CD and DVD-A, but are there many that'll
play all three?

And how about throwing video DVD in there as well. Oh and...let's
see...MP3, DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW, DVD-RW, VCD, etc...

After all, they're all the same size with the same size spindle hole in the
middle.

Gotta save on all that shelf space, ya know....

Hmmm...either my player really isn't there *or* this is another ignorant
comment from someone who specializes in making same.

Or you have a player that will play both and you are one of the lucky (sic)
few and because you have one you think everybody else out there has one, or
is supposed to have one.

I suggest you find a topic about which you know something, or stick to
your ****ing contests with sum1.

Or better still, stay out of this discussion if you don't have anything
constructive to say.

Lionel

George M. Middius wrote in message . ..

Ooops, I forget. Just a question, Half-man.
Is your boy-friend Mannii as "big-balled" as he attempted to let us
believe ? I'm just curious. )

Victor Eijkhout

First my nomination for great sounding disc: Pat Metheny 80/81.
Sparkling clear guitar sounds, great sounding sax, everything perfect.

Todd H. wrote:

Lyle Lovett's Lyle Lovett and His Large Band release is
extraordinarily well recorded.

Never thought of it that way. Say, you wouldn't happen to agree with me
that "Ensenada" and his latest "My baby don't tolerate" sound really
bad? And maybe you know more about studio techniques and can tell me
why? It's like every instrument is pushing to be heard in the same
sliver of mid-rage spectrum.

V.
Brian Rost

George M. Middius wrote:

Why torture yourself? Kal was right about the plethora of multi-format
players on the market. They start at $50 or so.

However, reviews of many "universal" players have revealed that most are
better at playing one format than another.

Personally, as someone who has seen one format war after another, I'm
sick of this crap. Just to keep playing music I have amassed over the
years I need a turntable, open reel deck, cassette deck, MiniDisc deck,
CD deck...and now I need even more stuff? Forget it...

--

Brian Rost
Stargen, Inc.

Brian Rost

~GT~ wrote:
If one format loses out in the format wars, or manufacturers
decide to drop a hardware format in their players, then you'll be stuck with
a bunch of unplayable CDs. It doesn't take rocket-science to figure that
one out.

This is why I'm holding out. I still own a pile of quadraphonic LPs and
open reel tapes from the 70s. Seen any quad playback hardware lately?
Anybody remember Elcassette, Philips DCC digital cassettes, dbx encoded
LPs, laserdisc, DivX...

--

Brian Rost
Stargen, Inc.

George M. Middius

Quickdraw Rost said:

This is why I'm holding out. I still own a pile of quadraphonic LPs and
open reel tapes from the 70s. Seen any quad playback hardware lately?
Anybody remember Elcassette, Philips DCC digital cassettes, dbx encoded
LPs, laserdisc, DivX...

The only thing that's permanent is change itself.

ric

~GT~ wrote:

I've seen SACD capability on DVD players costing less than $150. SACD

Sure you have. Sony and a couple of other makers have been cutting their
hardware prices in order for you to buy their standard. I'll bet the folks
over at DVD-A are doing the same.

Can you name any sub $150 DVD-A players?

As far as SACD hybrids are concerned, they won't play properly on my new
Kenwood CD changer. I avoid them like the plague.

Ever thought about seeing why your new Kenwood is defective?

--
Better than hearing "Lady Day", or checking in at Monterey...
ric

~GT~ wrote:

I've heard those demonstrated up at Meyer-Emco. They are formats for
anal-retentive audiophiles who obsess over every note. And if it's an
old
recording, you get a lot of tape-hiss to go along with it.

Ah...the ignorant vote has been cast.

Ah, another anal-retentive audiophile. No, my subjective opinion has been
cast.

Only that in quite sujective A-B tests, only those with a tin ear could
not hear the vast difference between CD and SACD. This isn't "oxygen
free copper" Monstercable marketing stuff. This is easily heard. I feel
sorry for those whose hearing defeciency prevents them from hearing the
difference.

Besides, you have to buy two ****ing players in order to cover

? everything.
Do you have the time, money and space for that? And what happens when
one
format wins out over the other? You'll be stuck with the equivalent of
an
old laserdisc or DAT player.

So the players that play CD, SACD, DVD-A, et. al. don't really exist?

Did I say that they didn't exist at all?

Well, you said "Besides, you have to buy two ****ing players in order to
cover everything." Yes, that's what you said in your own eloquent way.

Sure there are plenty of players
that will play CD and SACD. Or CD and DVD-A, but are there many that'll
play all three?

Dozens. With more being released every day.

And how about throwing video DVD in there as well.

Careful. Your ignorance is showing, again. Most SACD players *are* DVD-V
players. And *all* combo CD/SACD/DVD-A players that I'm aware of will do
DVD-V, too.

Oh and...let's
see...MP3, DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW, DVD-RW, VCD, etc...

All of the above (except maybe DVD*R/RW, I'm not sure) being included
is the norm. Kinda kills your above statement that "...And what happens
when one format wins out over the other? You'll be stuck with the
equivalent of an old laserdisc or DAT player." Are you suffering from
"foot in mouth" disease?

Gotta save on all that shelf space, ya know....

I did.

Or you have a player that will play both and you are one of the lucky (sic)
few and because you have one you think everybody else out there has one, or
is supposed to have one.

No. I was just making a suggestion to the OP, who was on a quest for
great sound. You changing your stance from your original "

I suggest you find a topic about which you know something, or stick to
your ****ing contests with sum1.

Or better still, stay out of this discussion if you don't have anything
constructive to say.

--
Better than hearing "Lady Day", or checking in at Monterey...
ric

~GT~ wrote:

[...]

great sound. You changing your stance from your original "They are formats
for anal-retentive audiophiles who obsess over every note" ???

--
Better than hearing "Lady Day", or checking in at Monterey...
ric

Brian Rost wrote:

If one format loses out in the format wars, or manufacturers
decide to drop a hardware format in their players, then you'll be stuck with
a bunch of unplayable CDs. It doesn't take rocket-science to figure that
one out.

This is why I'm holding out. I still own a pile of quadraphonic LPs and
open reel tapes from the 70s. Seen any quad playback hardware lately?
Anybody remember Elcassette, Philips DCC digital cassettes, dbx encoded
LPs, laserdisc, DivX...

But this argument doesn't hold water because SACD/DVD-A combo players
also play standard CDs and DVDs (which most people have now.) And hybrid
SACDs play in regular CD players. So, where is the risk?
ric

Victor Eijkhout wrote:

First my nomination for great sounding disc: Pat Metheny 80/81.
Sparkling clear guitar sounds, great sounding sax, everything perfect.

Yup. Most of the stuff from ECM from that time period is excellent.
As far as great sounding acoustic guitar goes, check out Martin Taylor's
"Solo" (P3 Music - P3M005) or Wayne Johnson's "One Guitar" (Solid Air
Records - SACD2040)

--
Better than hearing "Lady Day", or checking in at Monterey...

GT~

"dave weil" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 01:48:23 -0400, "~GT~" none wrote:

BZZZZZZT! Wrong answer.

No an answer you don't want to hear, is more like it....

It's sounds like you've already made that investment, I put it down, you
took it personally, so now you're ****ed off. Right?

Or can you answer the question without leaving your CAPS set on, 'on'?

Can *you* answer the question without leaving *your* caps set on, on?

Get my point?

In that statement you quoted right above, where does it show that I left the
CAPS lock on? Tell me. Where did I leave it on?

Besides you making a stupid statement that has nothing to do with the
discussion at hand.

GT~

"Brian Rost" wrote in message
George M. Middius wrote:

Why torture yourself? Kal was right about the plethora of multi-format
players on the market. They start at $50 or so.

However, reviews of many "universal" players have revealed that most are
better at playing one format than another.

Personally, as someone who has seen one format war after another, I'm
sick of this crap. Just to keep playing music I have amassed over the
years I need a turntable, open reel deck, cassette deck, MiniDisc deck,
CD deck...and now I need even more stuff? Forget it...

And that was my whole point, which totally blew right by the audiophile's
ears.

They claim to be good at 'listening'.

Hah..... I'll bet.....

GT~

Quickdraw Rost said:

This is why I'm holding out. I still own a pile of quadraphonic LPs and
open reel tapes from the 70s. Seen any quad playback hardware lately?
Anybody remember Elcassette, Philips DCC digital cassettes, dbx encoded
LPs, laserdisc, DivX...

The only thing that's permanent is change itself.

The only thing 'permanent' is being sold a bill-of-goods by the next
marketing scheme coming down the Japanese corporate pike.

GT~

"chris lee" wrote in message
om...
Thanks to all who responded to my question.. I'll definitely check out
some of the recommendations. And to anyone yet to respond, I should
clarify that I just have a regular CD player, not any of the other
formats mentioned (SACD, DVD-A, etc.).

Your welcome.

And seriously, stick with your regular CD player. There's plenty of good
sounding music, many examples of which has already been shared with you in
this thread. You don't have to venture into anal-retentive audiophile
territory and spend beau coup bucks in order to get great sound.

GT~

"ric" wrote in message ...
~GT~ wrote:

I've seen SACD capability on DVD players costing less than $150. SACD

Sure you have. Sony and a couple of other makers have been cutting

their
hardware prices in order for you to buy their standard. I'll bet the

folks
over at DVD-A are doing the same.

Can you name any sub $150 DVD-A players?

As far as SACD hybrids are concerned, they won't play properly on my new
Kenwood CD changer. I avoid them like the plague.

Ever thought about seeing why your new Kenwood is defective?

It's not defective. It only happens on the new Bob Dylan and Rolling Stones
remasters I borrowed that I've tried so far. Plays everything else great.
Even MP3s.

Nope, it's not the player. It's just another example as to why
manufacturers don't have their **** together in the multitude of the format
wars.

GT~

"ric" wrote in message ...
~GT~ wrote:

I've heard those demonstrated up at Meyer-Emco. They are formats

for
anal-retentive audiophiles who obsess over every note. And if it's

an
old
recording, you get a lot of tape-hiss to go along with it.

Ah...the ignorant vote has been cast.

Ah, another anal-retentive audiophile. No, my subjective opinion has

been
cast.

Only that in quite sujective A-B tests, only those with a tin ear could
not hear the vast difference between CD and SACD. This isn't "oxygen
free copper" Monstercable marketing stuff. This is easily heard. I feel
sorry for those whose hearing defeciency prevents them from hearing the
difference.

My hearing is just fine, ric. And yes, there is a difference, I never said
there wasn't. But not enough for me to justify replacing my current
collection with expensive SACD versions that might not be supported in 5
years should Sony lose out to DVD-A.

Besides, you have to buy two ****ing players in order to cover

? everything.
Do you have the time, money and space for that? And what happens

when
one
format wins out over the other? You'll be stuck with the equivalent

of
an
old laserdisc or DAT player.

So the players that play CD, SACD, DVD-A, et. al. don't really exist?

Did I say that they didn't exist at all?

Well, you said "Besides, you have to buy two ****ing players in order to
cover everything." Yes, that's what you said in your own eloquent way.

And how many hybrid players are out there ric? That will support ALL
formats. That will play them back in an equal way?

Or does one have to buy a rack of different players in order to get the
maximum *aual* benefit that comes out of each format?

I suspect even that even with the few hybrid machines available, that the
latter point I made in my previous sentence is probably still the case....

Sure there are plenty of players
that will play CD and SACD. Or CD and DVD-A, but are there many that'll
play all three?

Dozens. With more being released every day.

And how about throwing video DVD in there as well.

Careful. Your ignorance is showing, again. Most SACD players *are* DVD-V
players. And *all* combo CD/SACD/DVD-A players that I'm aware of will do
DVD-V, too.

And do they play them all to the maximum benefit you would get, as you would
with seperate stand-alone players for each format?

Oh and...let's
see...MP3, DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW, DVD-RW, VCD, etc...

All of the above (except maybe DVD*R/RW, I'm not sure) being included
is the norm. Kinda kills your above statement that "...And what happens
when one format wins out over the other? You'll be stuck with the
equivalent of an old laserdisc or DAT player." Are you suffering from
"foot in mouth" disease?

ALL of the ABOVE?? Sounds too good to be true. Probably is.

Are you sure you're not suffering from "Consumer Lemming" disease?

Gotta save on all that shelf space, ya know....

I did.

I'll 'bet'....

Or you have a player that will play both and you are one of the lucky

(sic)
few and because you have one you think everybody else out there has one,

or
is supposed to have one.

No. I was just making a suggestion to the OP, who was on a quest for
great sound. You changing your stance from your original "

No, you were making a suggestion that by default, he go out and spend lots
of money and turn himself into an audiophile.

You'd make an adequate shill for Sony. But only an 'adequate' one.

GT~

"Brian Rost" wrote in message

However, reviews of many "universal" players have revealed that most are
better at playing one format than another.

Why am I not surprised....

Personally, as someone who has seen one format war after another, I'm
sick of this crap. Just to keep playing music I have amassed over the
years I need a turntable, open reel deck, cassette deck, MiniDisc deck,
CD deck...and now I need even more stuff? Forget it...

It's just another way of getting you to spend more of your hard earned
dollars on the next latest gadget coming out of Tokyo.

As soon as you buy something that's considered the 'ultimate', they'll come
out with the next 'ultimate' and pretty soon, you're at the starting gate
again.

Not to mention, you'll wind up buying 10 different format-versions of "Kind
of Blue" as an added 'bonus'.

Arny Krueger

ric wrote:

Only that in quite sujective A-B tests, only those with a tin ear
could not hear the vast difference between CD and SACD.

There are no known CDs and SACDs that were mastered identically and
comparably, subject only to the differences in the media. . It would be
quite easy to do this, but in fact there are no known instances of it.

Therefore the vast difference in sound between a CD and SACD is something
that was unecessarily and artifically put in place, presumably to conceal
the fact that if all other things are equal, there are no audible
differences between the mediums.

ric

GT~ wrote:

As far as SACD hybrids are concerned, they won't play properly on my new
Kenwood CD changer. I avoid them like the plague.

Ever thought about seeing why your new Kenwood is defective?

It's not defective. It only happens on the new Bob Dylan and Rolling Stones
remasters I borrowed that I've tried so far. Plays everything else great.
Even MP3s.

The "Highway 61 Revisited" hybrid SACD played great in my old Sony CD
player, my Kenwood portable CD player, and as either a CD or SACD on
my combo player. Sounds like your player is defective.

Nope, it's not the player. It's just another example as to why
manufacturers don't have their **** together in the multitude of the format
wars.

You have a faulty CD or player, yet you make the above statement.
What a leap!

--
Better than hearing "Lady Day", or checking in at Monterey...
ric

GT~ wrote:

However, reviews of many "universal" players have revealed that most are
better at playing one format than another.

Personally, as someone who has seen one format war after another, I'm
sick of this crap. Just to keep playing music I have amassed over the
years I need a turntable, open reel deck, cassette deck, MiniDisc deck,
CD deck...and now I need even more stuff? Forget it...

And that was my whole point, which totally blew right by the audiophile's
ears.

And just when was that your point? Your first statement was "They are
formats for anal-retentive audiophiles who obsess over every note",
followed by "The new blue-ray technology that will be coming out in a
couple of years will put both of those formats to shame" followed by
"Besides, you have to buy two ****ing players in order to cover
everything" and "You'll be stuck with the equivalent of an old
laserdisc or DAT player" [ignoring the fact that combo players play
DVD-V and standard CDs as well as DVD-A and SACD.]

Later you complained (ignorantly so) that there weren't enough combo
models to meet your needs, claimed that Japanese marketers were selling
us a "bill-of-goods" with DVD-A and SACD, claimed that combo players
wouldn't play DVD-V, DVD-R, MP3, VCD, etc. (again, ignorantly so), and
finally (for the first time) saying that you don't want to get stuck
with obsolete *software*, a dilemma that all VHS users will be facing
in the not so distant future.

So, "And that was my whole point" means from 1734 EDT today until now,
only, right?

--
Better than hearing "Lady Day", or checking in at Monterey...