Default BRILLIANT arrangement (not mine) - you have to check this out

This was done by one of the guys on the Paris newsgroup... I hope he
doesn't mind me posting it here, and I normally wouldn't (I figure if
someone wants to post a link they'll do it themselves) but this is so damn
good, I MUST INSIST that you hear it

Killer arrangment & great performances all-around.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/j.luzier/alliwant.mp3

And no, I don't know the guy - just from online like I know some of you, so
I have no vested interest... this is simply for your enjoyment - just trust
me & give it a listen.

--
Neil Henderson
Progressive Rock

Jerome

This kills me. For me, this is completely devoid of any redeeming
quality and I'm genuinely trying to find something in it I can
appreciate. It reminds me of a sterile kind of all-encompassing song
that would be the demo song on a piece of recording equipment
targeted towards everyone in the world and designed to not offend
anyone in any way.

wrote in message om...
This was done by one of the guys on the Paris newsgroup... I hope he
doesn't mind me posting it here, and I normally wouldn't (I figure if
someone wants to post a link they'll do it themselves) but this is so damn
good, I MUST INSIST that you hear it

Killer arrangment & great performances all-around.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/j.luzier/alliwant.mp3

And no, I don't know the guy - just from online like I know some of you, so
I have no vested interest... this is simply for your enjoyment - just trust
me & give it a listen.

Arny Krueger

wrote in message
This was done by one of the guys on the Paris newsgroup... I hope he
doesn't mind me posting it here, and I normally wouldn't (I figure if
someone wants to post a link they'll do it themselves) but this is so
damn good, I MUST INSIST that you hear it

Killer arrangment & great performances all-around.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/j.luzier/alliwant.mp3

Since this is a recording/production group, not a perforamnce group this
seems relevant:

Heavily compressed, over a thosand clipped samples. Ear burn anybody?

Tommi

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
Since this is a recording/production group, not a perforamnce group this
seems relevant:

Heavily compressed, over a thosand clipped samples. Ear burn anybody?

Yeah, a bit too compressed, but overall, I think it was quite good.

Tommi

wrote in message
m...
This was done by one of the guys on the Paris newsgroup... I hope he
doesn't mind me posting it here, and I normally wouldn't (I figure if
someone wants to post a link they'll do it themselves) but this is so damn
good, I MUST INSIST that you hear it

Killer arrangment & great performances all-around.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/j.luzier/alliwant.mp3

And no, I don't know the guy - just from online like I know some of you,

so
I have no vested interest... this is simply for your enjoyment - just

trust
me & give it a listen.

It was quite good.
If I'm not mistaken, they've used Reason 2.5's malstrom synthesizer on the
intro.
Even the same goddamn patch I was using a couple of hours ago!

Romeo Rondeau

"Jerome" wrote in message
om...
This kills me. For me, this is completely devoid of any redeeming
quality and I'm genuinely trying to find something in it I can
appreciate. It reminds me of a sterile kind of all-encompassing song
that would be the demo song on a piece of recording equipment
targeted towards everyone in the world and designed to not offend
anyone in any way.

What kind of music do you normally listen to?

Romeo Rondeau

wrote in message
This was done by one of the guys on the Paris newsgroup... I hope he
doesn't mind me posting it here, and I normally wouldn't (I figure if
someone wants to post a link they'll do it themselves) but this is so
damn good, I MUST INSIST that you hear it

Killer arrangment & great performances all-around.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/j.luzier/alliwant.mp3

Since this is a recording/production group, not a perforamnce group this
seems relevant:

Heavily compressed, over a thosand clipped samples. Ear burn anybody?

It's called pop, Arny. All the cool kids are doing it :-)

Romeo Rondeau

"Tommi" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
Since this is a recording/production group, not a perforamnce group

this
seems relevant:

Heavily compressed, over a thosand clipped samples. Ear burn anybody?

Yeah, a bit too compressed, but overall, I think it was quite good.

Quite good, actually. The only critcism I really have is the middle section
seems disconnected from the rest of the song and itself at the same time.
Drums get lost a bit, too. Good stuff, though.

Arny Krueger

"Romeo Rondeau" wrote in
message
wrote in message
This was done by one of the guys on the Paris newsgroup... I hope he
doesn't mind me posting it here, and I normally wouldn't (I figure
if someone wants to post a link they'll do it themselves) but this
is so damn good, I MUST INSIST that you hear it

Killer arrangment & great performances all-around.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/j.luzier/alliwant.mp3

Since this is a recording/production group, not a perforamnce group
this seems relevant:

Heavily compressed, over a thosand clipped samples. Ear burn anybody?

It's called pop, Arny. All the cool kids are doing it :-)

Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.

;-)

Jerome

I like all kinds of music from hip hop to pop to punk to experimental
to oldies to rock and more. Sometimes very low fi, sometimes hifi and
slick.
Some recordings(and/or songs and/or arrrangements,etc.) I've been
enjoying lately include the Ry Cooder/Manuel Galban record, Ween -
Quebec, Four Tet - Pause, Neung Phak, RJD2 - Deadringer, Yo La Tengo
- I can Hear the Heart..., the new Outkast, the last Roots album,
Robert Bradley's Blackwater Suprise.

Not trying to sound like a dick, but what is "brilliant " or "killer"
about this arrangement? It sounds professionally recorded and fairly
slick, but there's really nothing exceptional about it to my ear. It
sounds like a fairly generic rock song(complete with slight electronic
flourishes) that might be decent background music to a Budweiser
commercial. I think if the song and/or performances were better, I
might enjoy the recording. The bass and acoustic guitar at the
beginning sound okay to me, but nothing amazing. The singer sounds
like he's singing directly from his asshole, the drums sound like thin
drum samples(please tell me this was a drum machine and not a miked
kit). The reverb hurts my feelings. It almost threats to rock at
moments, but never really does. The elec. guitars are near
non-existent amd when they are there sound like they are a keyboard
patch. That break disturbs me.

I've now listened to this way too many times for my own good. I would
recommend this to people who love Creed or that Chris Gaines record.

Again, I know this sounds like I am being a dick, but when someone
"MUST INSIST" that I hear a "BRILLIANT ARRANGEMENT" I get high
expectations. I would actually love to know what was done to create
this, however. Gear, micing, compression(!!!), mixing, all that...

"Tommi" wrote in message .. .
wrote in message
m...
This was done by one of the guys on the Paris newsgroup... I hope he
doesn't mind me posting it here, and I normally wouldn't (I figure if
someone wants to post a link they'll do it themselves) but this is so damn
good, I MUST INSIST that you hear it

Killer arrangment & great performances all-around.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/j.luzier/alliwant.mp3

And no, I don't know the guy - just from online like I know some of you,

so
I have no vested interest... this is simply for your enjoyment - just

trust
me & give it a listen.

It was quite good.
If I'm not mistaken, they've used Reason 2.5's malstrom synthesizer on the
intro.
Even the same goddamn patch I was using a couple of hours ago!

Iowa Recorder

(Jerome) wrote in message

Again, I know this sounds like I am being a dick, but when someone
"MUST INSIST" that I hear a "BRILLIANT ARRANGEMENT" I get high
expectations. I would actually love to know what was done to create
this, however. Gear, micing, compression(!!!), mixing, all that...

I almost wasted my time downloading this song until I read all the
comments. I don't have a cable modem so I think before I click. When
I read brilliant arrangement that brought to mind my favorite band.
As a consolation I'll offer this to you.

If you want to hear something that I've been a bit obsessed on lately
is an unsigned band out of Chicago called Mr. Blotto. They are
amasing. They have a huge song list after being together 12 years.
Every show is differant. Like the grateful dead they allow fans to
plug into the mixer board and do bootlegs.

I've been spending quite a bit of time downloading some of these
bootlegs. There's literally hundreds of recordings. All of it is
amasing to me as this band is *THIS* good live. With my modem It
takes about an hour to download one song. So for me to spend that
much time - may indicate how much it is worth it. I'll post a link to
my favorite recording. Be warned it is in FLAC format (Full Lossless
Audio Codec). So these are big files compared to mp3s. You'll also
need the codec and a compatable player like winamp. Those are quick
and easy to get.

Anyway this is currently my favorite.
http://www.archive.org/download/blot...01-29d2t7.flac

If anyone bothers to check em out let me know whether I'm right about
this band or... am I right? Right?

IR
Roger W. Norman

I'd have to say that, although I like the song's arrangement, I'd kill if
the mix/mastering was done to one of my songs. If they'd just go back to
the original mix and quit trying to make it as hot as possible it would be
more listenable. Now I know that it's an mp3 but when I dump it into
Samplitude whatever level I set the faders is the level the max volume is
at, which means that the rms average is starting to eat into the dynamic
range and nothing gets much below max. While I don't mind loud music, I
don't want it clipped, and this is clipped. .03 dB down would have been
fine, but keeping the average rms value around -15 dB would have probably
opened up the arrangement to enjoyment.

You know, I was pretty disappointed about the Ed Cherney remark about where
music is today and his obvious acceptance of just jamming everything up to
the top like the client wants. But then I watched A Mighty Wind last night
and was just enthralled with the quality of the mix and to my surprise, Ed
Cherney's name popped up as the mixer. Now I feel better that I realize
he's willing to accept a client's desires, but when it comes to quality
music he still obviously knows how to produce a good product.

Unfortunately this Paris user just went a touch overboard, but overboard
still means you're wet and outside of the boat.

As far as the arrangement itself goes, it's about 40 seconds too long and
yes, I know exactly what I'd change. But it's a nice song, well mixed if
what I'm interpretting is what's really on the tracks. It's pretty hard to
tell since it's been killed dead Dave.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

wrote in message
m...
This was done by one of the guys on the Paris newsgroup... I hope he
doesn't mind me posting it here, and I normally wouldn't (I figure if
someone wants to post a link they'll do it themselves) but this is so damn
good, I MUST INSIST that you hear it

Killer arrangment & great performances all-around.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/j.luzier/alliwant.mp3

And no, I don't know the guy - just from online like I know some of you,

so
I have no vested interest... this is simply for your enjoyment - just

trust
me & give it a listen.

--
Neil Henderson
Progressive Rock
http://www.saqqararecords.com

Roger W. Norman

Overall, I'd agree. I didn't really see anything that stood out in the
crowd about a problem area, but then, it's listenable, and that's the idea,
right?

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio