Default Portable digital recorders

I own a Korg PXR4, which is OK for practicing, compostion and demo-quality
tracking, but its size requires minimal buttons and switches, thus forcing a
lot of menu-diving to use the interface. The faders also have very short
throw. I'm interested in getting one of the larger DC-powered units, such
as the Boss or Fostex 8-track. I don't need modeling, effects, or onboard
MIDI backing tracks, just a decent interface, larger faders, an adequate
built-in mike, and a headphone amp with some headroom. The Korg is
particularly weak in this regard.

Any advice?

Raymond

drcovell wrote
I own a Korg PXR4, which is OK for practicing, compostion and demo-quality
tracking, but its size requires minimal buttons and switches, thus forcing a
lot of menu-diving to use the interface. The faders also have very short
throw. I'm interested in getting one of the larger DC-powered units, such
as the Boss or Fostex 8-track. I don't need modeling, effects, or onboard
MIDI backing tracks, just a decent interface, larger faders, an adequate
built-in mike, and a headphone amp with some headroom. The Korg is
particularly weak in this regard.

Stay away from the Boss and Zoom type cheep stuff. I've always got good sound
from Fostex gear (analog and digital). Built in mic's will not give you any
great quality in any application. SM57's and other low to midrange priced mic's
can do great thing's.