misifus

Default Simple question, but I don't know the answer

I have a Sony 24" Wega Television which has stereo outputs. I
would like to use my old KLH 6V speakers with the TV. I know
I'll need an amplifier to drive them, but do I need a preamp, or
could I just use a power amp? I'm thinking if I need the preamp
too, I'll pick up a small integrated amp to take the stereo
signal from the output jacks and drive the speaker. So, which do
I need, integrated, or power only? Thanks

-Raf

--
Misifus-
Rafael Seibert

http://www.ralphandsue.com
Kalman Rubinson

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 13:32:03 -0600, misifus
wrote:

I have a Sony 24" Wega Television which has stereo outputs. I
would like to use my old KLH 6V speakers with the TV. I know
I'll need an amplifier to drive them, but do I need a preamp, or
could I just use a power amp? I'm thinking if I need the preamp
too, I'll pick up a small integrated amp to take the stereo
signal from the output jacks and drive the speaker. So, which do
I need, integrated, or power only? Thanks

In theory, all you need is a power amp. However, from my experience,
it is better to have a preamp/amp or integrated. There are two
reasons. First, since the power amp is always unattenuated, you need
to be careful when switching over to it and be sure that every other
user is equally careful. Switching on or over to the power amp with
the Sony's VC way up is to be avoided. Second, having a volume
control on the amp, you can adjust the amp's sensitivity so that the
Sony's volume control is in a fully useful range.

Kal
misifus

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Kal. That's sort of what I suspected. I think I'll
probably be using the amp/speakers full time, but it's good to
know that I can adjust the output independently of the TV.

-Raf

--
Misifus-
Rafael Seibert

http://www.ralphandsue.com
unitron

misifus wrote in message ...
I have a Sony 24" Wega Television which has stereo outputs. I
would like to use my old KLH 6V speakers with the TV. I know
I'll need an amplifier to drive them, but do I need a preamp, or
could I just use a power amp? I'm thinking if I need the preamp
too, I'll pick up a small integrated amp to take the stereo
signal from the output jacks and drive the speaker. So, which do
I need, integrated, or power only? Thanks

-Raf

Not familiar with particular TV but my advice in this general kind of
situation is first find out whether the TV's "audio out" jacks are
line level out taken off the signal chain before the TV's volume
control or after. Some do it one way, some do it the other. And some
TV's will let you mute the internal speakers.
On some older TVs you may need to watch out for RCA jacks that are
actually outputs meant to drive speakers.
misifus

unitron wrote:

misifus wrote in message ...

[...]

Thanks. This is a fairly new TV. It does mute the built in
speakers if I choose external speakers, and I'm fairly sure the
output is a line out after the signal processing by the TV.

In any rate, I'll start with the TV volume low and bring it up
carefully.

-Raf

--
Misifus-