Jim Kollens

Default 2-mix equalizing

In general, I use little, if any EQ - anywhere. But I fairly recently acquired
a Manley Massive Passive. You can hardly go wrong with this thing, but on the
main out I've discovered a problem: you can easily mess with the stereo image.
Any basic suggestions on eq-ing the main out?
Scott Dorsey

Jim Kollens wrote:
In general, I use little, if any EQ - anywhere. But I fairly recently acquired
a Manley Massive Passive. You can hardly go wrong with this thing, but on the
main out I've discovered a problem: you can easily mess with the stereo image.
Any basic suggestions on eq-ing the main out?

Well... the one suggestion is to trade the thing for the mastering model, which
has detents. So, you can at least mess predictably and repeatedly with the
stereo image.

Jim Kollens

Scott Dorsey: Well... the one suggestion is to trade the thing for the
mastering model, which
has detents. So, you can at least mess predictably and repeatedly with the
stereo image

Hmmmm. Interesting that you say that because if you read the manual (I think
the article is on their website), they will do the detents but don't actually
recommend it. I like detents, myself.

Scott Dorsey

Jim Kollens wrote:
Scott Dorsey: Well... the one suggestion is to trade the thing for the
mastering model, which
has detents. So, you can at least mess predictably and repeatedly with the
stereo image

Hmmmm. Interesting that you say that because if you read the manual (I think
the article is on their website), they will do the detents but don't actually
recommend it. I like detents, myself.

Well, if you want the detents, you can't set it between positions. That's
irritating if you're trying to notch out a narrow band sweeping it back
and forth. It's wonderful if you're trying to make the same fairly wide
change to two or more channels and preserve imaging.