Posted to rec.audio.pro
Pops Pops is offline

Default Name That Mic

Here'one for you peeps!

Geico commercial with announcer wearing headphones...looks like a
tube...possibly a AT4060???

Cyndi Lauper on today's (03/16/07) The View...looks like a ribbon...
possibly a Fat Head???

Your guesses___________?

Pops

Posted to rec.audio.pro
malachi malachi is offline

Or phrased another way, "What kind of mic does Don LaFontaine use?"

Answer: "Any mic he wants!!!!!"

"Pops" wrote in message
link.net...
Here'one for you peeps!

Geico commercial with announcer wearing headphones...looks like a
tube...possibly a AT4060???

Cyndi Lauper on today's (03/16/07) The View...looks like a ribbon...
possibly a Fat Head???

Your guesses___________?

Pops

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Stu Bulman Stu Bulman is offline

"Pops" wrote in message

link.net...

Here'one for you peeps!

Geico commercial with announcer wearing headphones...looks like a
tube...possibly a AT4060???

Cyndi Lauper on today's (03/16/07) The View...looks like a ribbon...
possibly a Fat Head???

Your guesses___________?

Pops

I'm sure this has been posted before, but the classic spoof of movie
trailer voice overs can be seen and heard at

http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/comedian.html

In this case I think to VO talent is Hal Douglas.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"malachi" wrote ...
Or phrased another way, "What kind of mic does Don LaFontaine use?"

Answer: "Any mic he wants!!!!!"

Of course, in the commercial, we see the mic selected by the
art director. Likely a good chance that isn't the kind of mic he
uses for *real* VO recording sessions.

Moreover, it may not even be the mic we hear on the commercial.
It could be dubbed (ADR).

OTOH, the headphones look exactly like Sony MDR-7506
with black tape over the nameplate. I don't think I have ever
seen an intentional "product placement" inside a commercial
for something else. :-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Carey Carlan Carey Carlan is offline

Pops wrote in news:YBDKh.13383$tD2.5069
@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Here'one for you peeps!

Geico commercial with announcer wearing headphones...looks like a
tube...possibly a AT4060???

Cyndi Lauper on today's (03/16/07) The View...looks like a ribbon...
possibly a Fat Head???

Your guesses___________?

I'm doing this from memory of the add, but my guess is one of the AKG
Perception series. ISTR the grill had a scooped edge on the bottom.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Raw-Tracks Raw-Tracks is offline
Senior Member

Carey Carlan wrote:
I'm doing this from memory of the add, but my guess is one of the AKG
Perception series. ISTR the grill had a scooped edge on the bottom.

Yeah, that's my recollection as well. AKG Perception, not sure which
one. Don't really care to much about anything new AKG might have.

--
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills
Download Our Multi-Track Masters
www.Raw-Tracks.com
www.Mad-Host.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
DC DC is offline

Stu Bulman wrote:

I'm sure this has been posted before, but the classic spoof of movie
trailer voice overs can be seen and heard at

http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/comedian.html

In this case I think to VO talent is Hal Douglas.

Thank you!

I saw that on the Apple site when the trailer first came out. Then, when
I saw the Geico commercial, I thought of it, and have been meaning to
find it again.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 17 Mar 2007 01:32:11 -0700, wrote:

You can't show trademarked nameson film, tv, etc

Sure you can. Open your eyes :-)
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote
You can't show trademarked nameson film, tv, etc

Of course you can. Or don't you watch TV or movies?
Frequently producers are actually PAID to show trademarked
names. Look up "product placement".

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 10:50:19 -0600, Romeo Rondeau
wrote:

Of course you can. Or don't you watch TV or movies?
Frequently producers are actually PAID to show trademarked
names. Look up "product placement".

It's common practice for bands to put a piece of electrical tape over a
logo on a piece of gear or instrument such as a guitar, and I've seen it
quite a few times on concert videos. My assumption is that since if
don't have an endorsement deal with the company, they don't want to
advertise for them (at least not for free.)... anyway, I was flipping
through the channels one day and saw this band playing... I don't
remember who they were, but instead of tape over the logo, the guitar
player had a little sign on his headstock that said "Your name here"...
I thought it was funny :-)

Possibly more that they DO have an endorsement deal with ANOTHER
company.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Fran Guidry Fran Guidry is offline

On Mar 16, 2:02 pm, Pops wrote:
Here'one for you peeps!

Geico commercial with announcer wearing headphones...looks like a
tube...possibly a AT4060???

Cyndi Lauper on today's (03/16/07) The View...looks like a ribbon...
possibly a Fat Head???

Your guesses___________?

Pops

Man, this is sooooo embarrassing ... but I did catch the View while I
was channel flipping - I think Cindy's mic was a Gefell M900.
http://www.gefell-mics.com/grp_1_prod_1.htm

Fran

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Romeo Rondeau wrote:
It's common practice for bands to put a piece of electrical tape over a
logo on a piece of gear or instrument such as a guitar, and I've seen it
quite a few times on concert videos. My assumption is that since if
don't have an endorsement deal with the company, they don't want to
advertise for them (at least not for free.)... anyway, I was flipping
through the channels one day and saw this band playing... I don't
remember who they were, but instead of tape over the logo, the guitar
player had a little sign on his headstock that said "Your name here"...
I thought it was funny :-)

I've had Peavey stickers on my Neumann stage mikes for years, in an
attempt to prevent theft. It seems to have worked.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Fran Guidry wrote:
Man, this is sooooo embarrassing ... but I did catch the View while I
was channel flipping - I think Cindy's mic was a Gefell M900.
http://www.gefell-mics.com/grp_1_prod_1.htm

Thanks for sharing that with us. I know it was hard to talk about.

--
Eric

Practice Your Mixing Skills
Download Our Multi-Track Masters
www.Raw-Tracks.com
www.Mad-Host.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Romeo Rondeau wrote:
It's common practice for bands to put a piece of electrical tape over a
logo on a piece of gear or instrument such as a guitar, and I've seen it
quite a few times on concert videos. My assumption is that since if
don't have an endorsement deal with the company, they don't want to
advertise for them (at least not for free.)... anyway, I was flipping
through the channels one day and saw this band playing... I don't
remember who they were, but instead of tape over the logo, the guitar
player had a little sign on his headstock that said "Your name here"...
I thought it was funny :-)

I've had Peavey stickers on my Neumann stage mikes for years, in an
attempt to prevent theft. It seems to have worked.
--scott

I found that guys were more likely to steal the SM57's than the
Neumanns, I guess they figure that we won't notice them... Countryman
DI's seem to develop legs and walk out... We would always leave the
LDC's on big Atlas stands, that way we could see them plain as day when
the client was loading out.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Pops Pops is offline

Don't feel bad,in light of all the crap that's going on TV these days,
you could've done worse. Thanks for the input. How nice of you to stay
on topic... Here's another one...Johnny Carson's prop mic? Any ideas?

Pops

Fran Guidry wrote:
On Mar 16, 2:02 pm, Pops wrote:

Here'one for you peeps!

Geico commercial with announcer wearing headphones...looks like a
tube...possibly a AT4060???

Cyndi Lauper on today's (03/16/07) The View...looks like a ribbon...
possibly a Fat Head???

Your guesses___________?

Pops

Man, this is sooooo embarrassing ... but I did catch the View while I
was channel flipping - I think Cindy's mic was a Gefell M900.
http://www.gefell-mics.com/grp_1_prod_1.htm

Fran

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Pops" wrote ...
Don't feel bad,in light of all the crap that's going on TV these days,
you could've done worse. Thanks for the input. How nice of you to stay
on topic... Here's another one...Johnny Carson's prop mic? Any
ideas?

Johnny Carson Mic Sells for $50,787.50 (Feb, 2005)
http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/sc...ai=8433&si=123

But that appears to show a Shure 300 or 333
http://www.k-bay106.com/shure330.jpg
http://www.k-bay106.com/shure333.jpg

and I could have sworn I remember a Shure 300 or 315
http://www.k-bay106.com/shure300.jpg
http://www.k-bay106.com/shure315.jpg
on Carson's desk.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Pops wrote:
Don't feel bad,in light of all the crap that's going on TV these days,
you could've done worse. Thanks for the input. How nice of you to stay
on topic... Here's another one...Johnny Carson's prop mic? Any ideas?

It used to be an SM-33. I am told he changed it to something else in the
last few years of the show.

When it was the SM-33, it was mixed with his lav and the boom, and it
did occasionally get use.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Pops Pops is offline

I found this site for H-e-r-e's Johnny's....

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in690754.shtml

For all those also interested, check this out:

http://www.coutant.org/contents.html

Pops

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Pops wrote:

Don't feel bad,in light of all the crap that's going on TV these days,
you could've done worse. Thanks for the input. How nice of you to stay
on topic... Here's another one...Johnny Carson's prop mic? Any ideas?

It used to be an SM-33. I am told he changed it to something else in the
last few years of the show.

When it was the SM-33, it was mixed with his lav and the boom, and it
did occasionally get use.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler Paul Stamler is offline

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Pops wrote:
Don't feel bad,in light of all the crap that's going on TV these days,
you could've done worse. Thanks for the input. How nice of you to stay
on topic... Here's another one...Johnny Carson's prop mic? Any ideas?

It used to be an SM-33. I am told he changed it to something else in the
last few years of the show.

AKG C414B.

Peace,
Paul