Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Default Can't get system sounds through my Presonus 18/10

I choose the Presonus outputs 1/2 as my system wide sound output
in the sound control panel in Windows 10. Reaper is working fine
and as expected with this interface. Now, when I try to get sound
out of my browser, as with youtube say, the videos play at strange
speeds or not at all and I get no sound. Oddly, if I open Reaper
(which I've so fare configured not to use outs 1/2) suddenly everything
works like gold in the browser. I can play youtube videos etc. and
the audio is fine. While something is playing however, if I close
Reaper, the sound from the browser stops and the videos go back to
undefined speeds.

What up?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 1/11/2019 1:45 pm, Tobiah wrote:
I choose the Presonus outputs 1/2 as my system wide sound output
in the sound control panel in Windows 10.Â* Reaper is working fine
and as expected with this interface.Â* Now, when I try to get sound
out of my browser, as with youtube say, the videos play at strange
speeds or not at all and I get no sound.Â* Oddly, if I open Reaper
(which I've so fare configured not to use outs 1/2) suddenly everything
works like gold in the browser.Â* I can play youtube videos etc. and
the audio is fine.Â* While something is playing however, if I close
Reaper, the sound from the browser stops and the videos go back to
undefined speeds.

What up?

You'll need a regularWindows device driver as well as the ASIO one which
Reaper is presumably accessing. Configure in Control Panel for your
Presonus device assuming it is visible there (ie the is Win driver).

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/1/2019 1:37 AM, geoff wrote:
You'll need a regularWindows device driver as well as the ASIO one which
Reaper is presumably accessing. Configure in Control Panel for your
Presonus device assuming it is visible there (ie the isÂ* Win driver).

PreSonus provides their own ASIO driver so there should be no need to
use ASIO4ALL. I don't now anything about Windows 10 but a suitable
Windows driver should have been installed when running the PreSonus
setup - the same routine that gives you the interface's mixer control
panel.

Try re-running the PreSonus installation. Usually along the way, it asks
if you want to use this device (the 18/10) as the Windows sound device.
Your answer should be "yes."

For what my advice is worth, I've been beating an older (from around
2012) H-P laptop into submission with Windows 7 and have found that in
order to get the built-in audio hardware working right, including
working with ASIO4ALL, I had to delete the H-P audio driver and let
Windows discover the "new" hardware next time it rebooted, and install
the standard Microsoft driver.

This isn't your problem, sure, but there may be some related concepts.
You might try going to the Windows Device Manager, assuming there's
still one in Win10, look at the Sound section and remove whatever it
thinks it wants to use, then reboot. If that screws anything else up,
you can always re-run the PreSonus installer.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil W Phil W is offline

Mike Rivers:
On 11/1/2019 1:37 AM, geoff wrote:
You'll need a regularWindows device driver as well as the ASIO one which
Reaper is presumably accessing. Configure in Control Panel for your
Presonus device assuming it is visible there (ie the is Win driver).

PreSonus provides their own ASIO driver so there should be no need to use
ASIO4ALL. I don't now anything about Windows 10 but a suitable Windows
driver should have been installed when running the PreSonus setup - the
same routine that gives you the interface's mixer control panel.

It´s pretty safe to assume, a Windows driver is there. Unfortunately, my
personal experience with various Presonus interfaces tells me, it´s also
pretty safe to assume, that at least one driver in the package is junk and
does not work as it should - either on Windows or the blessed holy grail
called MacOS X. The hardware may be okay, but beware of the software junk
that comes with it.

Try re-running the PreSonus installation. Usually along the way, it asks
if you want to use this device (the 18/10) as the Windows sound device.
Your answer should be "yes."

You might try going to the Windows Device Manager, assuming there's still
one in Win10, look at the Sound section and remove whatever it thinks it
wants to use, then reboot.

The device manager is still there, just like the old system control panel -
it´s just not as easy and directly accessible as before. Simply search for
"control panel" and it will show up as a result.

If that screws anything else up, you can always re-run the PreSonus
installer.

which probably screws itself up, leaving the desperate user in an endless
loop of retrying to do everything correctly but still not getting anywhere
near a usefully working system.