Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

Default Do Dented Dust Caps affect a Woofer's Sound?

One of my Event TR5s has a dented woofer dust cap.

Consensus here is "no":

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/top...-affect-sound/

If not, I'll stop trying to get the dent out! (vacuum cleaner did not
work!)

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Try duct tape or a wad of chewing gum!
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Paul wrote:

One of my Event TR5s has a dented woofer dust cap.

Consensus here is "no":

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/top...-affect-sound/

If not, I'll stop trying to get the dent out! (vacuum cleaner did not
work!)

** Take a sewing needle and insert the point into the dented part of the dome, at as shallow an angle as possible. Try to pull the dent outward.

Usually works after a few attempts.

A drop of water encourages any pin hole mark left to seal itself over.

..... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

On 10/16/2018 6:53 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
Paul wrote:

One of my Event TR5s has a dented woofer dust cap.

Consensus here is "no":

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/top...-affect-sound/

If not, I'll stop trying to get the dent out! (vacuum cleaner did not
work!)

** Take a sewing needle and insert the point into the dented part of the dome, at as shallow an angle as possible. Try to pull the dent outward.

Usually works after a few attempts.

A drop of water encourages any pin hole mark left to seal itself over.

Water?? Don't you mean a tiny dab of glue?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Paul wrote:

** Take a sewing needle and insert the point into the dented part of the dome, at as shallow an angle as possible. Try to pull the dent outward.

Usually works after a few attempts.

A drop of water encourages any pin hole mark left to seal itself over.

Water?? Don't you mean a tiny dab of glue?

** Yep - I had wrongly assumed the cone and dome were made of paper.

..... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

Paul wrote:
One of my Event TR5s has a dented woofer dust cap.
Â*Â*Â*Â* Consensus here is "no":
https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/top...-affect-sound/
Â*Â*Â*Â* If not, I'll stop trying to get the dent out! (vacuum cleaner
did not work!)

** Take a sewing needle and insert the point into the dented part of
the dome, at as shallow an angle as possible. Try to pull the dent
outward.

Usually works after a few attempts.

A drop of water encourages any pin hole mark left to seal itself over.

Â*Â*Â* Water??Â* Don't you mean a tiny dab of glue?

Water can work for paper dust caps by expanding the fibres. It's
certainly not going to work for polymer dust caps!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

Thekma, the village idiot, puked in message

Try duct tape or a wad of chewing gum!

Dumb ****.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 17/10/2018 20:00, None wrote:
Thekma, the village idiot, puked in message

Try duct tape or a wad of chewing gum!

Dumb ****.

Hmmm.... With care, a piece of duct tape can sometimes be used to pull
the dome back into shape, and it's possible a piece of well chewed gum
could do the same. Shrug Surely, Thekma can't be wrong *every* time.
Grin

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

John Williamson wrote: "possible a piece of well chewed gum
could do the same. Shrug Surely, Thekma can't be wrong *every* time.
Grin "

Thanks. Well it's kind of hopeless to be
rid of this bot I've contracted. Unless a really
ugly piece of code could be used to flood
it's IP address and crash it once and for all.

There's no way any actual human could be
bothered to stalk someone else all over
Usenet, berate them with sewer language, thus
intimidating other users to shy away from good
online conversations. Essentially 'crashing'
threads that it detects me to be participating in.

Most folks today are too busy to engage in that
sort of nonsense.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 18/10/2018 9:15 AM, John Williamson wrote:
On 17/10/2018 20:00, None wrote:
Thekma, the village idiot, puked in message

Try duct tape or a wad of chewing gum!

Dumb ****.

Hmmm.... With care, a piece of duct tape can sometimes be used to pull
the dome back into shape, and it's possible a piece of well chewed gum
could do the same. Shrug Surely, Thekma can't be wrong *every* time.
Grin

Do we actually know if it is a paper, plastic, silk, aluminium , or
beryllium(!) dome ?

If left in it may well produce distortion when driven hard. However if
popped out it may be left with a crease which will also be a potential
weak spot and source of dome 'break-up under pressure'.

On balance, I'd pull it out by whatever method. I've even been know to
vacuum such things out (paper or silk, and definitely not beryllium)
with a big kiss.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

Theckmaaaaaahhh wrote in message

Well it's kind of hopeless to be
rid of this bot I've contracted.

... to stalk someone else all over
Usenet, berate them with sewer language,

Here you are posting about me on Usenet, yet you somehow
claim that my responses are "stalking." This is a worldwide
public forum. If you post here, anyone and everyone can
respond. Calling that "stalking" is just retarded. If you want
to prevent people from responding to you on Usenet, don't
post.

The "sewer" comment is typical of your retarded ways,
since "****" is one of your favorite words.

thus intimidating other users to shy away from good
online conversations.

Too sackless to take responsibility for your own status as
an online loser, you blame me. Your own posts are often
the death knell of a thread, all over the 'net. You post,
and nobody wants to respond any more, because you're
such an idiot. When youre a pariah and a moron, it must
be comforting to know that you can just pretend it's someone
else's fault.

Did you get tossed from another moderated forum for being
a retarded douchebag again, li'l buddy? FCKWAF!

Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:

Do we actually know if it is a paper, plastic, silk, aluminium , or
beryllium(!) dome ?

** " Mineral filled polypropylene " cone

- according to the advertising.

So it is a fair bet the dome is made of a similar material.

The sewing needle recovery method could be used with any of them.

...... Phil