Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] radiorobasoar@gmail.com is offline

Default Use condenser sax mic with xvive wireless guitar system ?

Hello good people,

Question:

Is it possible to use the new mini guitar wireless systems (Xvive for ex) with a mini condenser mic like the AKG C-519 horn/drum/piano mic using adapters ?

I tried it but without impedance matching adapters and there was a wine if the mic is too close to the battery pack. I also tried using the Xvive with a regular SM58 and non impedense matching adapters and it seemed to work fine, I couldnt hear the difference from an XLR cable. Problem is small clip on sax mics are all condenser as far as I am aware of and the Xvive will only work with dynamic mics)

What I want to do is use my good condenser sax mic wirelessly with a mini lithium powered transmitter (no battery belt pack) and receiver like the Xvive does for guitar.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,
Rob

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] radiorobasoar@gmail.com is offline

Thanks Geoff, I am considering ordering the AKG WMS40 Mini dual wireless system to use with my AKG mics but before I do was wondering if there is an option without a body pack. Using a bulky wireless receiver is more cables and components which sort of defeats the purpose of wireless by needing more cables and a power cable and feeling like being strapped into a body pack. I love the new guitar wireless systems for the neatness and simplicity of it and wish there was an option like that for mini condenser mics. I asked AKG if they had a mini lithium battery wireless system for mics in the works but they dont. Xvive is coming out with something soon but only for dynamic mics:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ireless.ht ml

Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

On Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 10:01:02 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Thanks Geoff, I am considering ordering the AKG WMS40 Mini dual wireless system to use with my AKG mics but before I do was wondering if there is an option without a body pack. Using a bulky wireless receiver is more cables and components which sort of defeats the purpose of wireless by needing more cables and a power cable and feeling like being strapped into a body pack. I love the new guitar wireless systems for the neatness and simplicity of it and wish there was an option like that for mini condenser mics. I asked AKG if they had a mini lithium battery wireless system for mics in the works but they dont. Xvive is coming out with something soon but only for dynamic mics:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ireless.ht ml

There are some miniature condenser mics that power their headamps with batteries, so they don't need phantom power.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 26/09/2018 3:00 PM, wrote:
Thanks Geoff, I am considering ordering the AKG WMS40 Mini dual wireless system to use with my AKG mics but before I do was wondering if there is an option without a body pack. Using a bulky wireless receiver is more cables and components which sort of defeats the purpose of wireless by needing more cables and a power cable and feeling like being strapped into a body pack. I love the new guitar wireless systems for the neatness and simplicity of it and wish there was an option like that for mini condenser mics. I asked AKG if they had a mini lithium battery wireless system for mics in the works but they dont. Xvive is coming out with something soon but only for dynamic mics:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ireless.ht ml

I do the warranty and other service on AKG gear in NZ. A while ago they
had a plug-in guitar transmitter (now discontinued, for good reason),
called a 'Snap-On'. Proved to be more of a snap-off.

You don't feel wired in to the transmitter so much if you attach the
transmitter to the sax neck-strap, though this presumably feels more
solid on a guitar strap than a sax strap.

The cheap AKG transmitter work of one AA alkaline, and the top line off
two. These last for longer than any gig you'll ever do, so why the lithium ?

The receiver end requires the receiver, and wall-wart, and a signal
cable which is hardly onerous, considering you are presumably plugging
it into other gear requiring a cable or two !

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 26/09/2018 8:23 PM, geoff wrote:
On 26/09/2018 3:00 PM, wrote:
[...]

Also beware cheaper 2.4GHz systems when in a room full of people with
smartphones and wi-fi enabled. Though top-range 2.4GHz systems may have
smart frequency-hopping/redundancy scheme to avoid glitches.

Fewer such problems with regular UHF systems.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9/25/2018 9:45 PM, wrote:
Is it possible to use the new mini guitar wireless systems (Xvive for ex) with a mini condenser mic like the AKG C-519 horn/drum/piano mic using adapters ?

I tried it but without impedance matching adapters and there was a wine if the mic is too close to the battery pack. I also tried using the Xvive with a regular SM58 and non impedense matching adapters and it seemed to work fine

Is this what you have?

http://www.xviveaudio.com/productInfo.asp?id=298

That has three good reasons why a respectable condenser mic won't work
with it:

1. There's no phantom power
2. Its gain is set up to work with the output level of a guitar pickup,
which is roughly 20 dB hotter than a mic level output.
3. The unbalanced high impedance input turns the mic cable into an
antenna good for picking up stray RF and electromagnetic fields in the
area.

You need the kind of wireless transmitter that's designed to be used
with a condenser microphone. If you end up with one that doesn't supply
standard phantom power, you could get an outboard power supply for your
mic (battery powered, I assume, for stage-hopping), but better to get
the right transmitter for the job.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 26/09/2018 10:30 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 9/25/2018 9:45 PM, wrote:
[...]

Or more correctly 'DC bias voltage' , or whatever other term, 'cos no
wireless body-pack TX that I know of does actual phantom power - just a
straight +5(ish)VDC pin on the socket.

But the good news is that you don't need to use the in-line phantom
power adaptor, as the C519 can be powered directly from the PT4xxx TX
via a TA4M-TA4F cable. If another brand TX, then a cable customised to
that TX will be necessary, but should work the same.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9/25/2018 9:45 PM, wrote:
Is it possible to use the new mini guitar wireless systems (Xvive for
ex) with a mini condenser mic like the AKG C-519 horn/drum/piano mic
using adapters ?

I tried it but without impedance matching adapters and there was a
wine if the mic is too close to the battery pack. I also tried using
the Xvive with a regular SM58 and non impedense matching adapters and
it seemed to work fine

Is this what you have?

http://www.xviveaudio.com/productInfo.asp?id=298

That looks pretty much 'snap-off' too, especially on a guitar with
edge-mounted jack. ;-)

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill[_20_] Bill[_20_] is offline

In message , geoff
writes

I do the warranty and other service on AKG gear in NZ. A while ago they
had a plug-in guitar transmitter (now discontinued, for good reason),
called a 'Snap-On'. Proved to be more of a snap-off.

Hey Geoff, apologies for hi-jacking this thread, but it might be
relevant....

I have an AKG PT40 dual system. Guitar and Mic. Both transmitters are
encased in black, soft plastic and on both this has gone slightly sticky
and squishy.

Both still work, but it's uncomfortable in use. I had a very early
tablet computer that went the same way and couldn't find any way of
curing the problem. I wonder if there is any treatment to stabilise
this?
--
Bill

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 9/26/2018 6:50 AM, geoff wrote:
Or more correctly 'DC bias voltage' , or whatever other term, 'cos no
wireless body-pack TX that I know of does actual phantom power - just a
straight +5(ish)VDC pin on the socket.

I think the official name for single-ended 3-5v mic power is "plug-in
power." It's been around for ages, going back to the Walkman and
similar-sized cassette recorders.

I haven't done a full literature search (that's $75/hour) but I'm pretty
sure I've seen some body pack wireless mic transmitters with an XLR
connector and phantom power. However I've definitely seen
plug-on-to-the-mic transmitters that have phantom power. No reason why
you can't put one of those in your pocket and use a mic with a cable.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
Hello good people,

Is it possible to use the new mini guitar wireless systems (Xvive for ex) w=
ith a mini condenser mic like the AKG C-519 horn/drum/piano mic using adapt=
ers ?=20

Maybe, but why not use a conventional wireless pack which is designed for the
job?

You could certainly plug the C519M into a straight butt plug pack like the
Sennheiser SKP500.

Or you could probably gut the electronics hybrid out of it and run the
element directly into a regular body pack like the Sennheiser SK100.

I tried it but without impedance matching adapters and there was a wine if =
the mic is too close to the battery pack. I also tried using the Xvive with=
a regular SM58 and non impedense matching adapters and it seemed to work f=
ine, I couldn=E2=80=99t hear the difference from an XLR cable. Problem is s=
mall clip on sax mics are all condenser as far as I am aware of and the Xvi=
ve will only work with dynamic mics)

Translation: the Xvive does not provide phantom power. It's not intended to
be used with microphones. Get a system intended for use with microphones.

What I want to do is use my good condenser sax mic wirelessly with a mini l=
ithium powered transmitter (no battery belt pack) and receiver like the Xvi=
ve does for guitar.

Any ideas ?

If you absolutely HAVE to jam a mike into the bell of a sax (which is a
terrible idea anyway if you ask me), just use a conventional wireless pack.
A good wireless system will have an input pad that will allow you to turn
it down so you don't overload the input stage of the pack.

You can buy wireless packs today which are very very small.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

PStamler wrote:
There are some miniature condenser mics that power their headamps with batteries, so they don't need phantom power.

Also there are small dynamic mikes like the Shure SM-11. If you have to jam
a mike into the bell of a sax, you'd likely be better off with one of those
anyway because they won't be so blatty.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] radiorobasoar@gmail.com is offline

Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] radiorobasoar@gmail.com is offline

Thanks Mike,

Btw not for €śstage hopping€ť but for doubling on sax and guitar without getting tangled up in cables.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] radiorobasoar@gmail.com is offline

If you drop the guitar or side swipe it yes.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] radiorobasoar@gmail.com is offline

Ive been wanting to try a lavalier mic for sax ... not so sure about it but worth a try ...
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 26/09/2018 10:54 PM, Bill wrote:
In message , geoff
writes

I do the warranty and other service on AKG gear in NZ. A while ago
they had a plug-in guitar transmitter (now discontinued, for good
reason), called a 'Snap-On'. Proved to be more of a snap-off.

Hey Geoff, apologies for hi-jacking this thread, but it might be
relevant....

I have an AKG PT40 dual system. Guitar and Mic. Both transmitters are
encased in black, soft plastic and on both this has gone slightly sticky
and squishy.

Both still work, but it's uncomfortable in use. I had a very early
tablet computer that went the same way and couldn't find any way of
curing the problem. I wonder if there is any treatment to stabilise this?

Yeah I have seen (felt!) that before - really yukky. Not sure what
circumstance causes it because it is only occasional. I think it is a
satin coating on the plastic reacting with extreme humidity.

Try rubbing it off with an iso-soaked rag. Better still strip out all
the internals to do it, cos otherwise you can get liquid into the LCD
window.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 27/09/2018 3:48 AM, wrote:
If you drop the guitar or side swipe it yes.

Or brush past someone or something.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 27/09/2018 1:26 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
wrote:
Hello good people,

Is it possible to use the new mini guitar wireless systems (Xvive for ex) w=
ith a mini condenser mic like the AKG C-519 horn/drum/piano mic using adapt=
ers ?=20

Maybe, but why not use a conventional wireless pack which is designed for the
job?

You could certainly plug the C519M into a straight butt plug pack like the
Sennheiser SKP500.

Or you could probably gut the electronics hybrid out of it and run the
element directly into a regular body pack like the Sennheiser SK100.

No need to gut anything. The mic itself has a Mini-XLR TA3M which
normally plugs into the phantom preamp adaptor. The mic can go straight
to an AKG or other bodypack without the phantom preamp module.

geoff