Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Steve Jobs was a fraud

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

I don't think it's possible for CEOs to be "nice" to their employees.
There has to be some emotional distance, and a "line of familiarity"
that should not be crossed.

Very old school.
Even very hierarchical organizations like the military are going away from
this sort of thinking.
Any number of great leaders over the years have said things like "We all
put our pants on one leg at a time".

I've had individual managers who treated me as an equal. One even told me he
loved me before he died. (I felt the same way about him.) When you have a
boss like that, it's a great experience. But it works only when it's
sincere, and neither person is trying to take advantage of the other.

A company head cannot be chummy-friendly with his or her employees. The CEO
has to treat his or her associates "professionally", and not let personal
feelings enter into decisions. Dr Land, who was -- and still is -- idolized
by (ex-)Polaroid employees, treated some of the company's officials quite
badly.

It's notable that Steve Jobs was sometimes inexcusably nasty. Yet Apple
didn't collapse, and the company still managed to be successful.

I'm not justifying this sort of thing. What I am saying is that Americans
are becoming increasingly "familiar" and "touchy-feely" to create the
illusion of social democracy. A good example is how people address those
they've just been introduced to by their first names. When I was growing up,
you didn't do that.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

Here's the issue that you are walking around. You can either be a leader
or a boss. A true leader is first among equals. Is that a contradiction?

It isn't a contradiction, if everyone in the group feels they're part of the
group and making a real contribution. Also if they know that they'll be
listened to when they have a problem or complaint.

If you have been part of a very good team, you know what I'm talking

about.

I've had individual managers like that, but I only remember one team of that
sort (at Data I/O).

Posted to rec.audio.pro

[...]

a boss. A true leader is first among equals. Is that a contradiction? If you
have been part of a very good team, you know what I'm talking about.

You tolerate a boss because he pays you to. That pay may be economic or
non-economic but you put up with the way he lords it over you because of the
pay.

Both of these are independent of friendship, love or professionalism.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
vdubreeze vdubreeze is offline

It's hard to quantify the good and bad personal traits of CEOs and
bosses and tie them to their companies fortunes, because there are so
many who are more heinous than any of these famous ones and run
invisible, unsuccessful companies. There are Steve Jobs wannabees
running money losing companies at every level, as well as ones who
emulate Mr.'s Hewlett and Packard's personableness in their own
terrible companies. There's much more than ruthlessness or non-
ruthlessness as a valid factor because it's not in a vacuum.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

vdubreeze wrote:
It's hard to quantify the good and bad personal traits of CEOs and
bosses and tie them to their companies fortunes, because there are so
many who are more heinous than any of these famous ones and run
invisible, unsuccessful companies. There are Steve Jobs wannabees
running money losing companies at every level, as well as ones who
emulate Mr.'s Hewlett and Packard's personableness in their own
terrible companies. There's much more than ruthlessness or non-
ruthlessness as a valid factor because it's not in a vacuum.

It's true, and there also seem to be CEOs who are constantly bumped from
company to company, doing damage wherever they go but never lasting very
long. For every Hewlett and Packard there is a Fiorino.

Steve Jobs was a fraud Paul[_13_] Pro Audio 3 January 19th 12 04:50 AM
Steve Jobs was a fraud Doc Pro Audio 2 January 15th 12 01:29 PM
R.I.P. Steve Jobs Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ Pro Audio 55 November 6th 11 05:42 PM
R.I.P. Steve Jobs Danny ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~_/) ~~ Pro Audio 57 October 16th 11 06:11 AM
R.I.P. Steve Jobs Richard Webb[_3_] Pro Audio 11 October 10th 11 09:02 PM