Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Stephie Bench Stephie Bench is offline

Default stuff looking for a good home

Hi all,

Well, with my new life, i have a bunch of stuff looking for a good home. Tubes, parts, test equipment. Southern Ca. drop ins welcome. Email me at (sbench at aol dot c plus the other 2 letters of that)

Warmest regards,
Stephie
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute[_2_] Andre Jute[_2_] is offline

On Thursday, October 2, 2014 8:25:26 PM UTC+1, Stephie Bench wrote:
Hi all,

Well, with my new life, i have a bunch of stuff looking for a good home. Tubes, parts, test equipment. Southern Ca. drop ins welcome. Email me at (sbench at aol dot c plus the other 2 letters of that)

Warmest regards,

Stephie

I don't actually need more stuff but your generosity makes me wish I lived in Socal just so I could drop by and shake your hand, Stephie.

Andre Jute
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Stephie Bench Stephie Bench is offline

Thanks. It has been a grand run. Lots of new things to do and see. Who knows? Maybe I'll get over to your neck of the woods. My sis moved here from Ohio a few years ago, and we have been fixing things up and doing some traveling.

Had a guy over yesterday who is going to take a lot, and help us clean up here the next few days.

Stephie
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Alan Marcy Alan Marcy is offline

Hi Stephie and Andre,

Happy Feebleweary!

It is now 2015, I will be 68 y.o. in a few weeks. I am now enjoying life with M.D. Rx meds. No more street stuff for this geezer

I am still in Texas. The new guvner thinks Open Carry is the real deal. Sigh. Texas is a big state. Possibly not all of one mind, or sometimes any mind. My room sounds pretty good. No accounting for neighbors...

Happy Ears!

Al

P.S. Today's Nightma

Imagine being beheaded by an ISIS operative with a Canadian accent!

Oooh, scary...

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Hi Stephie and Andre,

Happy Feebleweary!

It is now 2015, I will be 68 y.o. in a few weeks. I am now enjoying life with M.D. Rx meds. No more street stuff for this geezer

I am still in Texas. The new guvner thinks Open Carry is the real deal. Sigh. Texas is a big state. Possibly not all of one mind, or sometimes any mind. My room sounds pretty good. No accounting for neighbors...

Happy Ears!

Al

P.S. Today's Nightma

Imagine being beheaded by an ISIS operative with a Canadian accent!

Oooh, scary...

Hiya Al,
Only 68 yo, and no more off the street meds!

I'm now 67, dunno if I reach 70, depends on meds more than luck.

Other than this, I have little to add to what seems a bit undecipherable due to cultural differences between US and Oz.
My single EL34 is still going in kitchen since 1999, and after 20 years before 1999. Listening is fine....
Keep well, and if you can't, at least try to stay sane.....
Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Big Bad Bob Big Bad Bob is offline

On 02/02/15 21:36, Patrick Turner so wittily quipped:
[...]

how's the land down under doing you? with mains that exceed 250V even!
makes the case to use switching power supplies on tube amps, allow up
to "whatever" volts on the input, but still works on 115V for USA. If
laptop computers can do it...

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 1:23:36 AM UTC-4, Big Bad Bob wrote:
[...]

Switching power-supplies can be incredibly noisy. Not so much an issue with computers, cell-phone chargers, and other items. But of considerable issue with audio and instrument amplification. Brute-force power-supplies based on conventional technology tend to do better for these purposes.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Big Bad Bob Big Bad Bob is offline

On 09/10/15 08:05, Peter Wieck so wittily quipped:
[...]

not saying there aren't problems to overcome, but that's the general idea.

'ground loop' can sometimes be an issue as well. 'Direct' output would
probably need a ground loop isolator.

And switchers notoriously make "bumpy" voltage output. Even when it's
filtered I see ~1Hz "noise" of +/- 1V at 400V. it's less than 1%
deviation, which is GOOD, but because it bumps up and down all of the
time, randomly, it really messes up tube pre-amp circuits. Power supply
rejection with those is poor, at best, and you'd need a VERY fat
capacitor to filter out ~1Hz noise sufficiently. [solution, solid state
regulator].

I priced power transformers at about twice what I'd pay for an output
transformer [not exactly, but relative pricing]. So if the output is
$100, then $200 for the power transformer, and it weighs at least twice
as much so the amp becomes 'less portable' having a big iron power
transformer.

I can build the switcher for significantly LESS (money AND weight), even
if I need to use slightly complex linear regulators for the pre-amps and
screen supply.

I did a proof of concept for pre-amps using a 12AX7 (2 stage with open
loop gain) to test the 'worst case' problems [like what a 'bumpy' B+
will do to a pre-amp, and how to properly overcome it].

Seems any LF noise in the power supply gets amplified significantly, and
shows up in the output.

I tried one type of regulator (cheap design), which helps but not
enough. An RC filter isn't enough. You need a stable voltage reference
and a diff amp to control the regulator. 3 transistors, and a handful
of other parts. Now I just need to order the parts, to prove the concept.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 1:11:15 PM UTC-4, Big Bad Bob wrote:

I tried one type of regulator (cheap design), which helps but not
enough. An RC filter isn't enough. You need a stable voltage reference
and a diff amp to control the regulator. 3 transistors, and a handful
of other parts. Now I just need to order the parts, to prove the concept..

If you are confining your efforts to instrument amps, and have what I might only describe as the "typical" attitude towards fidelity that goes with instrument amps, a switching supply might be perfectly acceptable - just another 'effect' device. Given the fascination with leaky "black cat" or "bumblebee" capacitors in this aspect of the hobby, nothing surprises me.

But, if you are looking at audio amps (tube), then a switching supply will take more heroics to make acceptable than a conventional supply. To that end, if you really want portability, get Solid State. Solves several issues (weight, portability and cost) quite nicely with results almost guaranteed to be better than a tube amp with a switching supply.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Big Bad Bob Big Bad Bob is offline

On 09/10/15 11:58, Peter Wieck so wittily quipped:
[...]

interesting opinion, though. maybe nobody else will try it now. As for
me, I refuse to be discouraged. there's a lot of info on this project
that I haven't disclosed, after all.

A switching PS won't (by itself) add noise to the system, not when you
have a stable linear regulator [as long as there's no 'ground loop' issue].

I did a simple test using a transistor's 'Vceo' breakdown in lieu of a
zener [since I'd have to order zeners to do this], simply because I'd
just thought of it. Proved it would work, too. power supply noise was
virtually eliminated.

In any case, you'd think that the advantages of having a DC supply for
the heaters, plus being able to do a 'ramp-up' so you don't wear them
out from power on surges, might outweigh any possible disadvantages a
switcher might have [mostly the problems with ground loop noise].