Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar Nate Najar is offline

Default EV sx100?

how do we feel about the EV sx100 for sound reinforcement of an acoustic jazz group? I've been using these tannoy V8's for a few years and I love them but sometimes they don't push enough air and they don't really go down low (obviously). But man do they sound clean. The obvious answer is to just look at the larger tannoys- but they are very, very expensive (i know, good speakers are expensive, I learned that a long time ago and i repeat it often!). I got the V8's for a ridiculously low price as a matter of pure luck when a contractor was liquidating inventory.

I know for portable PA the qsc K series are highly favored but I prefer a passive speaker (much easier to place them and not deal with power AND an audio line) and frankly, I don't think those qsc's are that great. I work with a piano player who uses one with his electric piano and it's hissy and sort of peaky in the upper midrange. And I'm always wary of products that are marketed directly to the musician.

I have a QSC GX series power amp that does (i think) 350w a side at 8ohms and it seems quiet and clean and has been reliable.

I remember a lot of talk years ago about the old EV s200's being good for acoustic music, the current similar products seem to be the sx100 and sx300..... does anyone have any experience with them?

thanks!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sean Conolly Sean Conolly is offline

"Nate Najar" wrote in message
[...]

My last band had the QSC K12's, and I don't think they really sounded any
better than the Mackies 450's. Kind of sterile in my opinion, not that hard
to get them into limiting, and they sounded horrible once the limit light
started flickering - I don't think they recovered quickly enough. Probably
not a problem for you, but not my pick for a rock band.

If you live in an area that has them, I'd take a listen to these:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...0W_Active.html

I haven't heard them yet, unfortunately, but I'd really like to. The one
feature that jumps out to me is that the crossover point changes with
volume, so if you're playing a something quiet like a mic'ed acoustic guitar
the crossover point is shifted down to allow more of the mids through the
horn, where you have a wider dispersion.

The other one that interests me is from RCF:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._3_series.html

This is quite a bit less than the Yamaha or the QSC, and I've never heard
anyone say anythng bad about RFC (at least before they got bought by
Mackie).

No one around here carries either, so I'd have to make trip to compare them.
All they sell here are the speakers with the best markup.

Sean

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 7/4/2014 2:39 AM, Sean Conolly wrote:
My last band had the QSC K12's, and I don't think they really sounded any
better than the Mackies 450's. Kind of sterile in my opinion, not that hard
to get them into limiting, and they sounded horrible once the limit light
started flickering - I don't think they recovered quickly enough. Probably
not a problem for you, but not my pick for a rock band.

A friend of mine with too much money started out with Mackie SRM450s,
then got QSC K12s, and was finally happy with a recent RCF 15" + horn
powered speakers. But his is a rock band, not what Nate needs.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
On 7/4/2014 2:39 AM, Sean Conolly wrote:
My last band had the QSC K12's, and I don't think they really sounded any
better than the Mackies 450's. Kind of sterile in my opinion, not that
hard
to get them into limiting, and they sounded horrible once the limit light
started flickering - I don't think they recovered quickly enough.
Probably
not a problem for you, but not my pick for a rock band.

A friend of mine with too much money started out with Mackie SRM450s, then
got QSC K12s, and was finally happy with a recent RCF 15" + horn powered
speakers. But his is a rock band, not what Nate needs.

I put the K's in the same class as the Presonus boards: they work well and
there's nothing really wrong with them when used within their limits, but
there's nothing satisfying about them either.

Sean

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Nate Najar wrote:
how do we feel about the EV sx100 for sound reinforcement of an acoustic ja=
zz group? I've been using these tannoy V8's for a few years and I love the=
m but sometimes they don't push enough air and they don't really go down lo=
w (obviously). But man do they sound clean. The obvious answer is to just=
look at the larger tannoys- but they are very, very expensive (i know, goo=
d speakers are expensive, I learned that a long time ago and i repeat it of=
ten!). I got the V8's for a ridiculously low price as a matter of pure luc=
k when a contractor was liquidating inventory. =20

I think you can do worse than the SX100 but you can also do better. Go
try them out in the store, play back a recording of someone's voice that
you're familiar with, and see how close to actually believing that person
is speaking you get.

Cheaper than the Tannoys but a big step up from the EVs are the Radian
12" 2-ways. RCF makes a similiar coaxial design that is a step up from
the Radians too.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Nate Najar wrote:

how do we feel about the EV sx100 for sound reinforcement of an acoustic
jazz group?

I do not feel about that speaker for that purpose. It will get loud.
Nice R 'n' R stage monitor, etc., but I would choose QSC K8 or K10 over
that EV.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

I've had good luck with the Sx100s for reinforcing acoustic music. They like an amplifier with good damping factor; I've used them with QSC and Hafler amps, most recently Crests, with good results. No one will ever mistake them for Q.U.A.D. ESLs, but they do a good workmanlike job and don't blow up.

Peace,
Paul