Posted to rec.audio.pro
John Hardy John Hardy is offline

Default Cassette Decks and some rambling

On 12/31/2011 3:06 PM, Arkansan Raider wrote:
One of the best vocal takes I've ever heard was by Aretha Franklin in
which she overdrove the fool out of her mic--but you don't scrap an
inspired take like hers was--you don't know if you're getting *that*
take again. I think it was on "The Weight."

It may have been "I Never Loved a Man". She definitely went beyond the
capabilities of the mic preamp, or something, but what a performance!

John Hardy
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Cassette Decks

Arkansan Raider wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
William Sommerwerck wrote:
: Wasn't a lot of "Hotel California" recorded on a budget Nakamichi?

Those morons, they should have tossed it.

That's one of the first things I can agree about in this whole thread.
--scott

Scott, I didn't figure you for an Eagles hater. You don't like Hotel
California?

---Jeff

"Eight year olds, dude." - Walter Sobchak.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arkansan Raider Arkansan Raider is offline

Les Cargill wrote:
Arkansan Raider wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
William Sommerwerck wrote:
: Wasn't a lot of "Hotel California" recorded on a budget Nakamichi?

Those morons, they should have tossed it.

That's one of the first things I can agree about in this whole thread.
--scott

Scott, I didn't figure you for an Eagles hater. You don't like Hotel
California?

---Jeff

"Eight year olds, dude." - Walter Sobchak.

--
Les Cargill

Sicko. ;^)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...Olds%2C%20Dude

---Jeff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arkansan Raider Arkansan Raider is offline

Arkansan Raider wrote:

Some of my favorite music was recorded to much lesser-quality mediums
than cassette tape. Hank Williams Jr., Robert Johnson, some good a
cappella choruses from my alma mater among others.

Make that, "Hank Williams SENIOR."

*facepalm*

---Jeff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

John Hardy wrote:
On 12/31/2011 3:06 PM, Arkansan Raider wrote:
One of the best vocal takes I've ever heard was by Aretha Franklin in
which she overdrove the fool out of her mic--but you don't scrap an
inspired take like hers was--you don't know if you're getting *that*
take again. I think it was on "The Weight."

It may have been "I Never Loved a Man". She definitely went beyond the
capabilities of the mic preamp, or something, but what a performance!

John Hardy

In her dad's words on one of her live inspirational albums, "She's a
stone singer!" And it was one of her better performances, fo' sho'.

---Jeff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"mcp6453" wrote in message
A good friend did some recording sessions in Nashville in the seventies.
As was
standard operating procedure in those days, we made up a bunch of
cassettes so
that he could send the sessions to his friends and family.

Unfortunately, he passed away in 2001. The master tapes from which the
cassettes
were made is nowhere to be found. Monument Records is no more. The studio
owner
says he has no idea where the masters are.

Since the cassettes are not as good quality as the master tapes, I guess
I'll
just throw them in the trash. If I can't have reel quality, I'll do
without.
Not.

Right, you'll want to listen to them SO many times that spending $1.5k on a
Dragon is chicken feed. YOU get to make that decision for yourself, and my
wallet is not bothered in the slightest.
Personally I have SO much I have recorded properly, that I won't live long
enough to bother with crap, but I do realise some people have different
circumstances, and some have FAR more money to waste than I do. Good luck to
them I guess.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

I'm amazed the concept of copying the tape from the original or similar tape
deck is never adequate, and a Dragon MUST be used to archive all cassettes,
even if they were recorded on a el-cheapo portable probaly using a crap mic
from somewhere in the audience! (as has been suggested as one reason for
getting a Dragon)

Each to their own I guess, I suppose I'm just jealous I don't have that much
money to waste for a couple of low quality recordings. I do have an old 3
head deck which is good enough for whatever I come across that is purely for
historical value. But it seems a Dragon is de-rigour for many, so they can
have a warm fuzzy feeling that they couldn't have done better, even if it
still sounds like total crap! :-)

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Arkansan Raider wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
William Sommerwerck wrote:
: Wasn't a lot of "Hotel California" recorded on a budget Nakamichi?

Those morons, they should have tossed it.

That's one of the first things I can agree about in this whole thread.

Scott, I didn't figure you for an Eagles hater. You don't like Hotel
California?

I have probably recorded a hundred covers of that damn song in the past
thirty years. It used to be something every bar band had to have on
their demo. And, if you listen to the original, it's just way, way too
bright. It's one of those things that has been destroyed for me by constant
repetition.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article , Trevor wrote:
I'm amazed the concept of copying the tape from the original or similar tape
deck is never adequate, and a Dragon MUST be used to archive all cassettes,
even if they were recorded on a el-cheapo portable probaly using a crap mic
from somewhere in the audience! (as has been suggested as one reason for
getting a Dragon)

It's not. The Dragon is just the cheapest way to do it.

You can send it to me and I'll do it on a Tascam 122 that has been modified
with vernier azimuth controls, but I'm going to charge studio rate to do it
because I'm going to be riding the azimuth and listening.

If I were able to do it unattended, and the Dragon allows you to do a
respectable job unattended, I'd charge about a quarter what I charge for
an attended transfer.

It's all about the money. Being able to automate processes makes them
far cheaper. The Dragon costs a little more than a day of studio time.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Arkansan Raider wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
William Sommerwerck wrote:
: Wasn't a lot of "Hotel California" recorded on a budget Nakamichi?

Those morons, they should have tossed it.
That's one of the first things I can agree about in this whole thread.

Scott, I didn't figure you for an Eagles hater. You don't like Hotel
California?

I have probably recorded a hundred covers of that damn song in the past
thirty years. It used to be something every bar band had to have on
their demo. And, if you listen to the original, it's just way, way too
bright. It's one of those things that has been destroyed for me by constant
repetition.
--scott

Ah, roger that. No Stairway or Free Bird for you, either? ;^)

---Jeff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

I have probably recorded a hundred covers of that
damn song in the past thirty years.

Lawrence Welk?

"Welcome-a to the Hotel Califorium-a..."

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] sgordon@changethisparttohardbat.com is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:
: Arkansan Raider wrote:
: Scott, I didn't figure you for an Eagles hater. You don't like Hotel
: California?
: I have probably recorded a hundred covers of that damn song in the past
: thirty years. It used to be something every bar band had to have on
: their demo. And, if you listen to the original, it's just way, way too
: bright. It's one of those things that has been destroyed for me by constant
: repetition.

Like "Proud Mary" for me.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Trevor wrote:
: I'm amazed the concept of copying the tape from the original or similar tape
: deck is never adequate, and a Dragon MUST be used to archive all cassettes,
: even if they were recorded on a el-cheapo portable probaly using a crap mic
: from somewhere in the audience! (as has been suggested as one reason for
: getting a Dragon)

I have never even used a Dragon. I played with one briefly when they first
came out. But I wouldn't begrudge someone who has one or is considering
getting one. I don't personally have any tapes (I don't think) that merit
one, but I'm sure there are many tapes out there that do.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
: Arkansan Raider wrote:
: Scott, I didn't figure you for an Eagles hater. You don't like Hotel
: California?
: I have probably recorded a hundred covers of that damn song in the past
: thirty years. It used to be something every bar band had to have on
: their demo. And, if you listen to the original, it's just way, way too
: bright. It's one of those things that has been destroyed for me by constant
: repetition.

Like "Proud Mary" for me.

A friend of mine, Hugh Colston, absolutely hated CCR in every possible way
for similar reasons. When he died, we played "Back Door" at his wake...

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Marc Wielage[_2_] Marc Wielage[_2_] is offline

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 04:48:39 -0800, William Sommerwerck wrote
(in article ):

Wasn't a lot of "Hotel California" recorded on a budget Nakamichi?
------------------------------snip------------------------------

No, the demos were recorded on a 4-track Teac, then completely re-recorded in
24-track in the studio, both at Criteria in Miami and The Record Plant in LA.
Story he

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep1...racks-0910.htm

--MFW

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
You can send it to me and I'll do it on a Tascam 122 that has been
modified
with vernier azimuth controls, but I'm going to charge studio rate to do
it
because I'm going to be riding the azimuth and listening.

NAh I just do it myself since I come across so little on cassette that needs
that much care.
(Well none actually :-)

If I were able to do it unattended, and the Dragon allows you to do a
respectable job unattended, I'd charge about a quarter what I charge for
an attended transfer.

It's all about the money. Being able to automate processes makes them
far cheaper. The Dragon costs a little more than a day of studio time.

As I said all along, FINE if you have enough work to justify it. That's NOT
how I plan to earn a living, so buying a Dragon for a few tapes that may or
may not even be listened to more than once is the issue. But hey, as I said,
if you have plenty of money, enough work to justify it, or just think you
really need it, that's your business.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"mcp6453" wrote in message
I think that what hasn't been said directly here is that if you have one
cassette tape that you want to play, don't go out and buy a Dragon for it
even
if you plan to sell it again the next week. It's not worth it. But if you
have a
collection of a few hundred cassettes and want to put them all on
computer, then
a dragon is probably a worthwhile investment. (and then you can sell it
in three
years after you've finished with the lot)

Bingo. Not that Trevor will get it.

**** right off, of course I get it. What YOU don't get is the OP said he had
a couple of tapes, NOT a hundreds that are unobtainable anywhere else.
I wonder how many that do buy a Dragon now actually have hundreds of tapes
they recorded themselves (not stuff readily available on vinyl or CD)?
And how many just have too much money to waste? I don't know, I'll leave it
up to you to provide some data if you like, since you believe I'm not even
allowed to have an opinion!

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve King Steve King is offline

William Sommerwerck wrote:
: Wasn't a lot of "Hotel California" recorded on a budget Nakamichi?

Those morons, they should have tossed it.

That's one of the first things I can agree about in this whole thread.

The above may be one of the funniest lines in the whole thread whether you
agree or disagree on the musical preference.

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"Marc Wielage" wrote in message
.com...
On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 04:48:39 -0800, William Sommerwerck wrote
(in article ):

Wasn't a lot of "Hotel California" recorded on a budget Nakamichi?
------------------------------snip------------------------------

No, the demos were recorded on a 4-track Teac, then completely re-recorded
in
24-track in the studio, both at Criteria in Miami and The Record Plant in
LA.
Story he

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep1...racks-0910.htm

Hey don't go disillusioning peoples biases with actual facts! :-)
The idea that a band of the Eagles stature by the time they released HC,
would have "a lot" recorded on "a budget" Nakamichi, is so amazing I
wondered how anyone would believe it. But I guess Bruce Springsteen did use
his portastudio recordings once, so anything is possible!

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Hey don't go disillusioning peoples biases with actual facts! :-)
The idea that a band of the Eagles stature by the time they released HC,
would have "a lot" recorded on "a budget" Nakamichi, is so amazing I
wondered how anyone would believe it. But I guess Bruce Springsteen
did use his Portastudio recordings once, so anything is possible!

This was the story I heard many years ago -- and it was not (AFAIR) being
spread by Nakamichi.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

William Sommerwerck wrote:
: Wasn't a lot of "Hotel California" recorded on a budget Nakamichi?

Those morons, they should have tossed it.

That's one of the first things I can agree about in this whole thread.

The above may be one of the funniest lines in the whole thread whether you
agree or disagree on the musical preference.

Steve King

+1, and it's a contender for the Ring.

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri
Posted to rec.audio.pro

William Sommerwerck wrote:
Hey don't go disillusioning peoples biases with actual facts! :-)
The idea that a band of the Eagles stature by the time they released HC,
would have "a lot" recorded on "a budget" Nakamichi, is so amazing I
wondered how anyone would believe it. But I guess Bruce Springsteen
did use his Portastudio recordings once, so anything is possible!

This was the story I heard many years ago -- and it was not (AFAIR) being
spread by Nakamichi.

You can tell that it was a high budget production because the top end is
emphasized insanely high... I mean, we're talking more than 10dB boost in
the presence region.

Back in the seventies, whenever you heard that top end boost, it was
because everyone in the studio was using cocaine and screwing their
hearing up. The higher the production budget, the more cocaine, the
more top end boost.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
This was the story I heard many years ago -- and it was not (AFAIR) being
spread by Nakamichi.

I believe you, but that's why they say don't believe everything you hear or
read.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

On 1/1/2012 8:03 PM, Trevor wrote:
"mcp6453" wrote in message
I think that what hasn't been said directly here is that if you have one
cassette tape that you want to play, don't go out and buy a Dragon for it
even
if you plan to sell it again the next week. It's not worth it. But if you
have a
collection of a few hundred cassettes and want to put them all on
computer, then
a dragon is probably a worthwhile investment. (and then you can sell it
in three
years after you've finished with the lot)

Bingo. Not that Trevor will get it.

**** right off, of course I get it. What YOU don't get is the OP said he had
a couple of tapes, NOT a hundreds that are unobtainable anywhere else.

I'm the OP. Here's the part of the post you must have missed:

"Since I'm off until the end of the year, I decided to finally archive a large
quantity of audio cassettes."

I wonder how many that do buy a Dragon now actually have hundreds of tapes
they recorded themselves (not stuff readily available on vinyl or CD)?
And how many just have too much money to waste? I don't know, I'll leave it
up to you to provide some data if you like, since you believe I'm not even
allowed to have an opinion!

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"mcp6453" wrote in message
[...]

Organic popcorn just tastes better.

http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidri
Posted to rec.audio.pro

hank alrich wrote:

Organic popcorn just tastes better.

Never had it. Pass some my way, please.

---Jeff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:
William wrote:
[...]

If you can find Don Felder's solo album from after the Eagles....

--
Les Cargill

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ralph Barone[_2_] Ralph Barone[_2_] is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:
wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
Arkansan Raider wrote:
Scott, I didn't figure you for an Eagles hater. You don't like Hotel
California?
I have probably recorded a hundred covers of that damn song in the past
thirty years. It used to be something every bar band had to have on
their demo. And, if you listen to the original, it's just way, way too
bright. It's one of those things that has been destroyed for me by constant
repetition.

Like "Proud Mary" for me.

A friend of mine, Hugh Colston, absolutely hated CCR in every possible way
for similar reasons. When he died, we played "Back Door" at his wake...
--scott

Just to see if he would start rotating?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Marc Wielage[_2_] Marc Wielage[_2_] is offline

On Sun, 1 Jan 2012 19:30:43 -0800, Scott Dorsey wrote
(in article ):

Back in the seventies, whenever you heard that top end boost, it was
because everyone in the studio was using cocaine and screwing their
hearing up.
------------------------------snip------------------------------

You say that like it was a bad thing...

--MFW

Posted to rec.audio.pro
John Bennett[_3_] John Bennett[_3_] is offline

On Sun 01 Jan 2012, Trevor wrote:
I'm amazed the concept of copying the tape from the original or
similar tape deck is never adequate, and a Dragon MUST be used to
archive all cassettes, even if they were recorded on a el-cheapo
portable probaly using a crap mic from somewhere in the audience! (as
has been suggested as one reason for getting a Dragon)

Each to their own I guess, I suppose I'm just jealous I don't have
that much money to waste for a couple of low quality recordings. I do
have an old 3 head deck which is good enough for whatever I come
across that is purely for historical value. But it seems a Dragon is
de-rigour for many, so they can have a warm fuzzy feeling that they
couldn't have done better, even if it still sounds like total crap!
:-)

I've got a broken 3 head Nakamichi BX 300 deck lying around. A few years
ago the rewind/ff went faulty for the second time in it's life and I
just couldn't justify the cost of another full service/repair!

I archived all my vinyl albums onto this deck and used to love switching
from rec to pb and convincing myself that I couldn't hear any
difference! The absence of wow and flutter was such a delight compared
to normal cassette decks!

When it came to archiving my cassettes to mp3, when the Nakamichi
failed, I bought a second hand Sony Pro Walkman (a "Weapons of Mass
Destruction 6C" model) and had it serviced quite cheaply. Although not
quite as good as the Nakamichi it did (and does) the job very well for
mp3 archival when the odd cassette tape comes my way!

--
John Bennett johndotbennettatsmartemaildotcodotuk