Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

Default Fave Bill Porter productions?

"Pretty Woman": subtle layering of guitars.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro
nebulax nebulax is offline

On Jul 15, 3:48*pm, MiNe 109 wrote:
"Pretty Woman": subtle layering of guitars.

Stephen

When I met Bill Porter back in '81 he was a guest lecturer at what was
then called Full Sail Recording Institute. He played us several of his
personal favorite tracks during class, and I think the one he was most
proud of was Roy Orbison's "Running Scared". He pointed out how much
real dynamic range it had; it's pretty quiet at first, but then it
gradually builds up to a big crescendo at the end. He had also been
the house mastering engineer for Monument, so he was able to tweak the
whole signal chain to get the maximum signal-to-noise ratio out the
finished records. I have a few original Monument vinyl pressings of
Orbison albums, and none of the cd reissues even come close to
sounding as good.

Besides being a great engineer, Bill was also a true southern
gentleman, and I just wish now that I'd taken more time to talk with
him while I had the chance.

-Neb

Bill Porter, 1931-2010 nebulax Pro Audio 1 July 15th 10 04:07 PM
Fave Dylan cover recording MINe 109 Audio Opinions 0 November 13th 04 10:49 PM
Porter Baldridge jim Vacuum Tubes 2 October 3rd 03 05:11 AM
Porter Baldridge ?? Choky Vacuum Tubes 1 September 22nd 03 10:51 PM
Where's Porter ? Ed Coleman Vacuum Tubes 0 August 29th 03 11:00 PM