plokmichael

Default Easy connection question.... but help needed

I have a 8 channels micpre (yamaha mla-8). The outputs are d-sub25 (multipin
connector).
I also have a multitrack recorder (Mackie HDR). The inputs are d-sub 25
(same multipin connector as above).

Which cable do I need to connect the micpre with the recorder? It's ok using
a preassembles standard computer cable (I think not)?
Do I have to use an analogue cable? Are there any brands that sell the cable
I need (preassembled?)? I'd need a very short cable (the pre and the
recorder are in the same rack...)

Thanks for the help!!!

Nate Najar

All the major cable manufacturers (such as proco, hosa, etc...) make
db25 snakes. go to www.swee****er.com and type db25 in the search to
pull up different options. The cable will run you around $75.

Nate

Scott Dorsey

plokmichael wrote:
So I cannot use computer cables, can I?

I have used 25-pin ribbon cables at times, and didn't have crosstalk
problems, but I wouldn't recommend doing it.

Your real problem is that the pinouts may not be the same, so the
cable required may not be a simple straight-through cable. There are
at least three different pinouts for analogue signals on DB-25s.

plokmichael

Dear Scott,
would you raccomand me to make my own cables? I've never soldered a db25
connector.... I'm quite afraid of messing things up...
I've found these two pages:
http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/produc...mla8/spec.html
http://www.mackie.com/pdf/MDR_OG_2.pdf (look page 58 (actual 22 of PDF))
They don't seem compatible, do they?

"Scott Dorsey" ha scritto nel messaggio
plokmichael wrote:
So I cannot use computer cables, can I?

I have used 25-pin ribbon cables at times, and didn't have crosstalk
problems, but I wouldn't recommend doing it.

Your real problem is that the pinouts may not be the same, so the
cable required may not be a simple straight-through cable. There are
at least three different pinouts for analogue signals on DB-25s.

Scott Dorsey

plokmichael wrote:
would you raccomand me to make my own cables? I've never soldered a db25
connector.... I'm quite afraid of messing things up...
I've found these two pages:
http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/produc...mla8/spec.html
http://www.mackie.com/pdf/MDR_OG_2.pdf (look page 58 (actual 22 of PDF))
They don't seem compatible, do they?

Yes, but you can buy premade cable assemblies to go between the two, or
you can call a cable company in your area and have them make one up.

Personally, I'd try to make my own, but then I like to try making things
a lot. If you screw it up, well, you're out ten dollars for connectors.
Make sure you _do_ use good machined-pin connectors and not the cheap
crimped ones, and put heat-shrink tubing over each soldered connection.

It will be easier to use a a foil-shielded cable with a drain wire than
a braided-shield cable.
Mike Rivers

In article writes:

I have a 8 channels micpre (yamaha mla-8). The outputs are d-sub25 (multipin
connector).
I also have a multitrack recorder (Mackie HDR). The inputs are d-sub 25
(same multipin connector as above).

Which cable do I need to connect the micpre with the recorder?

I'm pretty sure that the two use the same pinout. Whirlwind
(
http://www.whirlwindusa.com) would know for sure. If you want to make
a cheap test, go to a computer store and get a $3 Chinese computer
serial cable with male DB-25s on both ends and use that to connect the
two units. Check to see that you get all the channels. It might even
work well enough to use for real. It's not shielded, and they aren't
twisted pairs, but the inputs on the Mackie are pretty well balanced
and if you keep the cable away from nearby wall warts, you probalby
won't have a serious EMI problem.

I use such a cable to connect a Mackie Onyx 800R to my Mackie HDR24/96
and it works fine in my room, though I'd rather use a real shielded
pair cable if I took it out in the field where I might encounter
unexpected interference.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
plokmichael

Thank you Scott! Thank you Mike!
Your suggestions are very useful!!
Greetings from Italy, is you ever want to come to visit Italy please let me
know!

"Mike Rivers" ha scritto nel messaggio

In article
writes:

[...]

Mike Rivers

"plokmichael" writes:

would you raccomand me to make my own cables? I've never soldered a db25
connector.... I'm quite afraid of messing things up...

It's good practice. By the time you make one, the next one should be
better.

I've found these two pages:
http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/produc...mla8/spec.html
http://www.mackie.com/pdf/MDR_OG_2.pdf (look page 58 (actual 22 of PDF))
They don't seem compatible, do they?

They are identical. As I suspected, the Yamaha and Mackie pinouts for
analog connections are the same.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )