B&D

Default Ipod audiophile device?

Has anyone used an iPod in comparison to a high end CD player? How do they
compare if using the AIFF or Apple Losless playback?
chung

B&D wrote:
Has anyone used an iPod in comparison to a high end CD player? How do they
compare if using the AIFF or Apple Losless playback?

Stereophile tested the iPod DAC's. IIRC, the iPod DAC's measured very
well, better than many stand-alone players. I certainly find the iPod
extremely satisfying playing high-bitrate files or uncompressed files.

Of course, if your high-end CD player sounds different to you than the
cheaper ones, then your experience with the iPod may be different than mine.
Tim Anderson

"B&D" wrote in message
Has anyone used an iPod in comparison to a high end CD player? How do

they
compare if using the AIFF or Apple Losless playback?

I'm not sure what prompts your question, but are you thinking about making
an iPod your primary music source both at home and when mobile? To me it
makes more sense to store music on a fixed hard drive in some sort of music
server system - mine is a PC - so you can easily play music around the
house. You can easily keep a mobile device synched to the server, disk space
considerations aside. I don't like Apple's DRM -
http://www.itwriting.com/blog/?postid=61 - which is one of the reasons I use
an iRiver iHP-140 and the jRiver media center (no connection between the
two, despite the similarity in name). It works well for me. I also prefer to
use compression on the device, because I'd rather have more choice vs a
difference in sound quality that is hard to quantify.

Tim

Philip Meech

I am using Itunes on a mac and my ipod as server for my stereo system. I
can't tell the difference between compressed and uncompressed either,
but Stereophile recommended
...aiff as the best. It is rare that I would l play more than eight hours
straight, so uncompressed gives me a jazz station when there is none in
the afternoon. Mine is not nearly as good as the Spirit of Jazz out of
San Francisco on shoutcast.