Peter Fagerström

Default Any suggestion of upgrading from MG 1,6Q/R

Any happy people that have upgraded from Magneplanar 1,6 Q/ R to a
"standard" speaker or electrostatic panel?

I would like to move forward but have problem finding any reasonable priced
speakers that sounds better.
MINe 109

"Peter Fagerström" wrote:

Any happy people that have upgraded from Magneplanar 1,6 Q/ R to a
"standard" speaker or electrostatic panel?

I would like to move forward but have problem finding any reasonable priced
speakers that sounds better.

Used Quad 63s can be found for the price of new 1.6s.

Stephen
Thomas Althouse

That's the problem once you had Maggies.

Do what I did. I had MG12's and I just waited until I found a set of Tympani
iva's on the used market. Why not look for used 3.6's?

I set up a respectible set of older Rega, 2-way boxes while doing spring
cleaning (then I could easlily vacuum around where the tympani's had been
standing) and my daughters said "when are you going to put back the REAL
speakers?

Best of luck.

Tom eh!

"Peter Fagerström" wrote in message
Any happy people that have upgraded from Magneplanar 1,6 Q/ R to a
"standard" speaker or electrostatic panel?

I would like to move forward but have problem finding any reasonable

priced
speakers that sounds better.

It is intresting that when others have asked the same question in
reverse,ie. having those of the kind mentioned for consideration, that
your brand is seemingly a very frequent suggestion. What does "upgrade"
and "move forward" mean to you, is it price only? What aspect of
reporduction do you assume is lacking in your current speakers? I would
look to making the room in which you use them optimised for best
production as you want to experience it. Most likely you can spend many
times the price and still not get as much bang for the buck as can be had
by room tuning. For a starter, bookcases placed in the right place can be
had for little and provide a very big difference and greatly added control
over those acoustic elements which tend to degrade reproduction. If the
room ain't right, spending 10 times more on speakers will not help at all.

Any happy people that have upgraded from Magneplanar 1,6 Q/ R to a
"standard" speaker or electrostatic panel?

I would like to move forward but have problem finding any reasonable priced
speakers that sounds better.

Uptown Audio

Yep, after hearing the Tannoy and JM Lab speakers, I have never wanted
for a panel speaker of any type. The Tannoy Sensys and JM Lab Chorus
series speakers are relatively affordable ($350-1300/pr.) and sound
great at any place in the room. I am definately a fan of dynamic
speakers and there are plenty to choose from; I have just found these
to be outstanding sonically and to represent excellent value.
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

"Peter Fagerström" wrote in message
Any happy people that have upgraded from Magneplanar 1,6 Q/ R to a
"standard" speaker or electrostatic panel?

I would like to move forward but have problem finding any reasonable

priced
speakers that sounds better.

Robert Trosper

You don't like the better Maggies? I never considered their prices
unreasonable, particularly on the used market if you can find one.
What's unreasonable - that is, a price range would help.

-- Bob T.

Peter Fagerström wrote:

Any happy people that have upgraded from Magneplanar 1,6 Q/ R to a
"standard" speaker or electrostatic panel?

I would like to move forward but have problem finding any reasonable priced
speakers that sounds better.

Peter Fagerström

OK. Thanks for the advice.
I agree on room treatment that it should be taken care of in the first
place.
I once had a pair of Apogee duettas in my listening room and I that was in
my opinion the sonic perspective of those I would like to hear again.

What I am missing with 1,6's is the smooth upper frequencies. as well as the
lowest octaves
Problem is that living in Finland I have real trouble finding any 3,6 on the
used market.

What I.have located though is apair of MG 3,3 r that would be bargain for
around 1 k euro, but haven't heard them yet.

On the other hand I have never listened to Martin Logans for example SL 3's
and I think have to do that to have some understanding of the differencies
between big MG:s and ML:s

Here's a list of possible speakers i found this week and going to listen to,
please comment as it would be a great help to me.

- Inner Sound Eros I'm not sure if they are MKI or MK II, but they are
definitely not MK III
- Dunlavy SC III
- ML SL 3
- MG 3,3 r