Posted to rec.audio.high-end
frschoonover frschoonover is offline

Default Does Anyone Know Someone Who Can Fix BSR Record Changers?

To The Group

Does anyone in this forum know someone who can fix BSR record
changers?

I have a Realistic Clarinette Stereo with a BSR record changer and the
spindle is loose. I have tried everything to tighten it down but
failed.

If anyone knows someone who does this, please let me know. Thanks in
advance. Sincerely Frank R.Schoonover

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 08:25:17 -0800, frschoonover wrote
(in article ):

To The Group

Does anyone in this forum know someone who can fix BSR record
changers?

I have a Realistic Clarinette Stereo with a BSR record changer and the
spindle is loose. I have tried everything to tighten it down but
failed.

If anyone knows someone who does this, please let me know. Thanks in
advance. Sincerely Frank R.Schoonover

I don't think ANYONE can fix a BSR changer. I had one as a kid. I believe
that I paid something like $12 for it NEW from Radio Shack (then a mail-order
only outlet located in the Boston Mass area). IIRC, the spindle support was a
tall, steel collar in the center of the platter "depression" in the chassis
plate and was peened into place. That is to say that the stepped-down end of
that support passed through the heavy gauge steel chassis where the end was
flattened by some kind of press (sort of like a big, hollow rivet). It is
likely that this has come loose (if I'm reading you correctly). This makes
the platter wobble as it rotates, especially when the changer mechanism
engages - am I right?

Mine did this and as I recall, I was able to fix it by taking almost
everything off of the chassis (the turntable itself was held on by a "C" clip
if memory serves.). Then, turning the chassis upside-down, with the spindle
tower resting on the closed jaws of a bench vice, I placed a block of steel
over the peened spindle support and whacked it a number of times with a
hammer. This re-tightened the mechanical connection between the spindle
support and the chassis plate. HOWEVER, be advised that I seem to recall that
in my case anyway, the repair was temporary. In a few week or months (I don't
recall exactly how long) it loosened again. The next time it happened, I
replaced it with only a slightly less awful British record changer, a Garrard
AT-6.