Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Codifus Codifus is offline

Default An almost free, and appreciable, upgrade in sound for your EMU 0404

I recently learned that the 0404 USB comes with a "dirty" power
supply. It converts AC to 5 Volts of fluctuating DC. I found an old
power supply from a zip drive I had that puts out 5 V of real DC, or
linear DC. After converting the Zip drives power supply to work with
my EMU, I hooked it up and gave it a listen to my music in my library
again. This is what I found;

Sound was much smoother, especially in the high frequencies.
The EMU seemed to be able to resolve more as well.
Also, the quiet passages were, um, quieter

This was an easy upgrade that improved the sound of my 0404
significantly!

For all you budget audiophiles out there who can't quite justify a
DAC1 or a DA10, you should really give this 0404 with minor upgrade a
try.

A minor note on power supplies: it would be very easy to replace the
non linear power supply with another non-linear one. I have found that
some zip drives came with linear PSes and some didn't. Make sure to
get a Linear one. They're the bigger, classic wal warts and get warm.
The non linear ones are smaller.

Here is a typical linear PS;

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/21...showimage.html

Switching, non linear ones are smaller, like this;

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/51...showimage.html

Make sure to get a linear PS, and enjoy the music!

CD
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"codifus" wrote in message

I recently learned that the 0404 USB comes with a "dirty"
power supply. It converts AC to 5 Volts of fluctuating
DC. I found an old power supply from a zip drive I had
that puts out 5 V of real DC, or linear DC. After
converting the Zip drives power supply to work with my
EMU, I hooked it up and gave it a listen to my music in
my library again. This is what I found;

Sound was much smoother, especially in the high
frequencies.
The EMU seemed to be able to resolve more as well.
Also, the quiet passages were, um, quieter

The proof of the pudding would be to run an Audio Rightmark, with each power
supply:

The software is free.

http://audio.rightmark.org/downloads/rmaa6.exe

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Rob Tweed Rob Tweed is offline

I tried this out myself - also converting an old Zip drive supply. I
have to say that the sound seems much improved. Certainly worth the
20 minutes it took to make the change, and the old power supply was
just sitting gathering dust so it didn't cost me anything.

Turns out there are some people who make even more radical mods to the
EMU 0404
(http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/emu...ished-297141/).
Not sure I'd be brave enough myself!.

It would be interesting to get some measurement data to prove whether
or not Codifus and I are simply imagining the differences we're both
sure we've heard! Anyway I'm pleased with the results which is the
important thing :-)

On 11 Nov 2008 23:26:43 GMT, codifus wrote:

[...]

---

Rob Tweed
Company: M/Gateway Developments Ltd
Registered in England: No 3220901
Registered Office: 58 Francis Road,Ashford, Kent TN23 7UR

Web-site: http://www.mgateway.com
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Nov 11, 7:03*pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"codifus" wrote in message

I recently learned that the 0404 USB comes with a "dirty"
power supply. It converts AC to 5 Volts of fluctuating
DC. I found an old power supply from a zip drive I had
that puts out 5 V of real DC, or linear DC. After
converting the Zip drives power supply to work with my
EMU, I hooked it up and gave it a listen to my music in
my library again. This is what I found;
Sound was much smoother, especially in the high
frequencies.
The EMU seemed to be able to resolve more as well.
Also, the quiet passages were, um, quieter

The proof of the pudding would be to run an Audio Rightmark, with each power
supply:

The software is free.

http://audio.rightmark.org/downloads/rmaa6.exe

I suppose I could do that, but I do not need to. I know there was a
difference and I'm not about to clarify my results by posting the
technical papers in some science journal. Rather, I'll take the 5
minutes to try the experiment and be done with it.

This is not to say that the technical explanation for the change would
not be interesting to see. I would be very interested. I just don't
have that kind of time. I'd much rather spend it enjoying the music.

Besides, I completely destroyed the original power supply

CD
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Rob Tweed" wrote in message

I tried this out myself - also converting an old Zip
drive supply. I have to say that the sound seems much
improved. Certainly worth the 20 minutes it took to make
the change, and the old power supply was just sitting
gathering dust so it didn't cost me anything.

Turns out there are some people who make even more
radical mods to the EMU 0404
(http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/emu...ished-297141/).
Not sure I'd be brave enough myself!.

It would be interesting to get some measurement data to
prove whether or not Codifus and I are simply imagining
the differences we're both sure we've heard! Anyway I'm
pleased with the results which is the important thing :-)

The proof of the pudding would be to run an Audio Rightmark, before and
after the mods.

The software is free.

http://audio.rightmark.org/downloads/rmaa6.exe

Runs in about 5 minutes.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"codifus" wrote in message

On Nov 11, 7:03 pm, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
"codifus" wrote in message

I recently learned that the 0404 USB comes with a
"dirty" power supply. It converts AC to 5 Volts of
fluctuating DC. I found an old power supply from a zip
drive I had that puts out 5 V of real DC, or linear DC.
After converting the Zip drives power supply to work
with my EMU, I hooked it up and gave it a listen to my
music in my library again. This is what I found;
Sound was much smoother, especially in the high
frequencies.
The EMU seemed to be able to resolve more as well.
Also, the quiet passages were, um, quieter

The proof of the pudding would be to run an Audio
Rightmark, with each power supply:

The software is free.

http://audio.rightmark.org/downloads/rmaa6.exe

I suppose I could do that, but I do not need to.

Right, you know that you are right, and no tecnical confirmation is
required.

I know
there was a difference and I'm not about to clarify my
results by posting the technical papers in some science
journal. Rather, I'll take the 5 minutes to try the
experiment and be done with it.

Which experiment?

This is not to say that the technical explanation for the
change would not be interesting to see. I would be very
interested. I just don't have that kind of time. I'd much
rather spend it enjoying the music.

Yes, spending 5 or 10 minutes to do the Rightmark test would separate you
from the music you love, for far to long of a duration.

Besides, I completely destroyed the original power
supply

However, we have another test of a typical unmodified unit.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Codifus Codifus is offline

On Nov 12, 9:47*pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Rob Tweed" wrote in message

[...]

Apparently, someone has already done the test . The results from the
link below compare the 0404 using host power against battery power.
The DC voltage generated from batteries, as I'm sure you know, is
regarded as one of the best sources of smooth DC power;

http://magsy.net/headfi/Comparison2.htm

As you can see, the performance of the 0404 improved, somewhat
dramatically even, when its power source was upgraded. 10 db
improvement in noise and dynamic range right off the bat. 15 db
improvement in stereo crosstalk. THD also improved with one anomoly.

Oddly enough, intermodulation distortion became 2 times worse. Given
that I use the 0404 as a music server, this may not apply to me as
intermodulation distortion is defined as the distortion generated when
multiple signals are input into the device. The only signal that is
input into my 0404 is from my airport express. Or, is this
intermodulation distortion a result of the 2 signals that are the
stereo left and right channels, I wonder?

So, would you like some more pudding

CD

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"codifus" wrote in message

Apparently, someone has already done the test . The
results from the link below compare the 0404 using host
power against battery power. The DC voltage generated
from batteries, as I'm sure you know, is regarded as one
of the best sources of smooth DC power;

http://magsy.net/headfi/Comparison2.htm

All of those results seem to be atypically poor. The are not the same as
using a switchmode external power supply.

Test
24/44- USB Pwr 24/44 24/48-USB Pwr 24/48
Frequency response (from 40 Hz to 15 kHz), dB:+0.09,-0.04 +0.09 0.04
+ 0.10, -0.03 +0.10, -0.03
Noise level, dB
-83.8 -94.7 -85.4 -94.2
Dynamic range, dB (A):
84.3 94.7 85.5 94.4
THD, %:
0.0040 0.0020 0.0042 0.014
IMD, %:
0.016 0.030 0.020 0.050
Stereo crosstalk,
-77.8 -96.4- 79.6 -95.5

As you can see, the performance of the 0404 improved,
somewhat dramatically even, when its power source was
upgraded.

Contrast those results with these:

http://magsy.net/headfi/laptoppowered.htm

Testing chain: Toshiba Tablet PC to Emu 0404, Sampling mode: 24-bit, 44 kHz

Test
Laptop on AC - USB Powered - Laptop on battery 5.25v Nimh
Frequency response (from 40 Hz to 15 kHz), dB: +0.09, -0.04
+0.09, -0.04 +0.09, -0.04
Noise level, dB
-96.5 -96.5
-96.5
Dynamic range, dB (A): 96.4
96.3 96.4
THD, %:
0.0017 0.0017
0.0017
IMD, %:
0.0095 0.0096
0.0099
Stereo crosstalk,
-97.0 -96.1
-96.6

As you can see, the performance of the 0404 was generally better to far
better, but remained unchanged
even when its power source was upgraded. There are a number of other 0404
USB tests on the web, and they are generally consistent with the results for
the 3 tests, above.

10 db improvement in noise and dynamic range

right off the bat. 15 db improvement in stereo
crosstalk. THD also improved with one anomoly.

I think anomaly would be a good term to use.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Codifus Codifus is offline

On Nov 13, 5:30*pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"codifus" wrote in message

[...]

I think I see what you are getting at. The test is a bit misleading
because it mentions USB powered. The EMU 0404 USB does not work on USB
power. It needs an external power supply. So when it says USB power
its really with the standard power supply. The test result you quoted
pretty much echos what I saw earlier, and it still shows that the
0404s performance improved with the upgrade in the power supply to a
linear DC one.

The 2nd test you quoted shows how the performance changes, if at all,
when the laptop driving the 0404 switches the laptop's power supply
from AC to battery. The EMU 0404 USB remains unchanged in terms of the
power supply it uses. I don't think that test is relevant to this
thread.

Also, how are these results bad, or atypically poor, as you say? These
tests are at 24/44.1 and 24/48, and the dynamic range and noise
results are pretty much at the limits of what you could achieve with a
sampling rate of 44.1 or 48 Khz.

CD

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On 13 Nov 2008 02:47:00 GMT, "Arny Krueger" wrote:

The proof of the pudding would be to run an Audio Rightmark, before and
after the mods.

The software is free.

http://audio.rightmark.org/downloads/rmaa6.exe

Runs in about 5 minutes.

Some advice on how to hook it all up to run the tests please. I don't
have another particularly high quality sound card to use as the
reference. Here's what I have at my disposal:

- Dell laptop with its own standard soundcard on which I can load up
RMAA6

- Edirol UA-1EX USB audio interface (which may or may not be better
than the Dell's own sound card so may act as a better reference card).

and of course the EMU 0404 USB which is what we want to measure with
the original and modified PSUs

So what would you recommend I connect to what, and which RMAA6 test(s)
should I run?

Many thanks

---

Rob Tweed
Company: M/Gateway Developments Ltd
Registered in England: No 3220901
Registered Office: 58 Francis Road,Ashford, Kent TN23 7UR

Web-site: http://www.mgateway.com

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On 13 Nov 2008 14:06:06 GMT, "Arny Krueger" wrote:

"codifus" wrote in message

Besides, I completely destroyed the original power
supply

However, we have another test of a typical unmodified unit.

If I get some time in the next week or so I'll try to run a test and
report back. Due to the way I did the PSU adaptation, I can re-attach
my original power supply to its plug and therefore get a before and
after comparison.

The differences I've heard seem significant so I really would expect
to see some genuinely different measurements.

---

Rob Tweed
Company: M/Gateway Developments Ltd
Registered in England: No 3220901
Registered Office: 58 Francis Road,Ashford, Kent TN23 7UR

Web-site: http://www.mgateway.com
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob bob is offline

On Nov 13, 10:46*pm, codifus wrote:

Also, how are these results bad, or atypically poor, as you say? These
tests are at 24/44.1 and 24/48, and the dynamic range and noise
results are pretty much at the limits of what you could achieve with a
sampling rate of 44.1 or 48 Khz.

What does sampling rate have to do with dynamic range? This is being
done at 24 bits, which should give you dynamic range well over 100 dB.
And does, as this review demonstrates:
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/...-0404-usb.html

Those results are with the stock power supply, needless to say.

The results you quoted suggest one of two things. Either the person
doing the measurements was measuring a defective unit, or he screwed
up the measurements.

As for your personal experience, I'd lean toward an explanation in the
psychoacoustic realm.

bob

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Codifus Codifus is offline

On Nov 14, 4:01*pm, bob wrote:
[...]

My bad. You are correct. I confused the sampling rate with bit depth.
Bit depth determines dynamic range and at 24 bits, the theoretical
limit is around 144 db. So Arny was correct as well, in that the
quoted results should be much better. I keep thinking 16/44.1 even
though the test was run at 24/44.1.

As for your personal opinion, thank you for pointing me towards which
realm to look into. I am quite familiar with the acoustic realm.
Perhaps I could get some advice from you on the psycho realm?

CD

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
jwvm jwvm is offline

On Nov 14, 9:06*am, Rob Tweed wrote:

snip

Some advice on how to hook it all up to run the tests please. *I don't
have another particularly high quality sound card to use as the
reference. *Here's what I have at my disposal:

- Dell laptop with its own standard soundcard on which I can load up
RMAA6

- Edirol UA-1EX USB audio interface (which may or may not be better
than the Dell's own sound card so may act as a better reference card).

and of course the EMU 0404 USB which is what we want to measure with
the original and modified PSUs

The Rightmark software is actually intended to evaluate sound cards
and not other equipment but that is possible also. Given that your
Edirol UA-1EX is essentiall a sound card, you only need to plug its
output into its input and run the software selecting the Eridol
hardware. The trickiest part (but really not hard) is to select the
correct input port (typically line) and set the input gain and output
signal level to reasonable values so that a proper input signal level
is obtained. Then you can just run the test.

It is possible to test other other equipment by inserting it in the
signal path from the sound card output to its input but that can be
misleading and even dangerous to the sound card if the input signal
level is too high. The assumption here is that the sound card has
greater fidelity than the equipment being tested which may not be true
but is not a relevant concern for testing your Edirol.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On 15 Nov 2008 05:57:15 GMT, jwvm wrote:

[...]

You misunderstand - it's the EMU I want to measure so we can compare
its performance with the old and new PSU. However from what you say
I'd simply plug the EMU into my Dell, connect its outputs to its
inputs, set its input and output gains appropriately and run the test.
OK I'll give it a shot.

---

Rob Tweed
Company: M/Gateway Developments Ltd
Registered in England: No 3220901
Registered Office: 58 Francis Road,Ashford, Kent TN23 7UR

Web-site: http://www.mgateway.com

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Rob Tweed Rob Tweed is offline

Well I ran the Audio Rightmark tests on the EMU with the original PSU
and the Zip drive PSU. Interestingly there was almost no difference
between the measurements. See what you think. I ran 4 consecutive
tests with each power supply. Everything else was kept identical,
even the power socket that I plugged the supply into.

Original power supply:

http://gradvs1.mgateway.com/misc/emu_original_PSU.jpg

Using Zip drive power supply:

http://gradvs1.mgateway.com/misc/emu_zip_PSU.jpg

And by comparison, here's the results for the cheapo Edirol USB UA-1EX

http://gradvs1.mgateway.com/misc/edirol.jpg

My conclusion is on these measurements alone, I must be imagining the
differences I thought I heard between power supplies, but it at least
vindicates my view that the EMU sounds a lot better than the Edirol!

Bear in mind that the test I ran was the one where the outputs were
connected to the inputs so I was running through both the ADC and DAC
stages of the EMU. However, since every other parameter was constant,
I was looking for differences in measurements, and not particularly
concerned about the absolute values. You'll notice that what
differences there were between the tests with the two different power
supplies are barely different from the differences between each test
run for each PSU. The measurements I suppose are consistently
fractionally better with the Zip drive PSU, but it's marginal!

Rob

On 13 Nov 2008 14:06:06 GMT, "Arny Krueger" wrote:

"codifus" wrote in message

On Nov 11, 7:03 pm, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Codifus Codifus is offline

On Nov 25, 11:07*am, Rob Tweed wrote:
[...]

"codifus" wrote in message

On Nov 11, 7:03 pm, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
"codifus" wrote in message

[...]

Rob,

thanks for doing the tests. The improvement I observed was subtle, and
I gather that the tests may bear this out. A subtle difference
shouldn't cause a huge change in tests results, should it? Fact is,
the Zip power supply on average was providing better total harmonic
and intermodulation distortion figures. Not much, but it was there,
and it was there consistently. Given that when we listen to music via
the EMU we are only using the digital to analog pathway as opposed to
the round trip that this test was performed on, I wish there was a way
to test the D to A part only.

Also, to add to my initial observations, the change of power supply
was most noticeable in high frequencies. Splashes of treble were much
smoother. Cymbals in the music fizzled more pleasantly.

So while i think that this test shows a little bit of how the improved
PSU bettered the EMU 0404, a better test would be to test the D to A
only, and perhaps do separate tests on different groups of
frequencies; 8000 to 16000 Hz for one test, 20 Hz to 500 Hz, for
another etc. All D to A only.

CD