Posted to rec.audio.high-end
ST ST is offline

Default Current limiting issue

Hi again. Now have another question regarding current limiting
drawback in power conditioner.While reading some articles on power
conditioner where they talk about current being limited by some brand
and high current amplifier being deprived of enough current for the
crucial moment which would result in lack of dynamics and attack.

In my case, the fuse in my power amplifier is 10A . Power supply is
240Vac but in usually it is around 246Vac. the amplifier is capable of
250W (RMS per channel into 8ohm or 500watt in 4ohm ) and maximum power
consumption is 1500W. However, I usually play not more than 85db but
most often below that.

If what I my understanding is correct the amplifier should be suing
not more than 5 to 10 watt per channel for 85db loudness for a speaker
efficiency of 90db. Let say in case of head room of 3 db then the
total output should not exceed 150w. So how could a power conditioner
of 3000W 240V and 15A limit the current to the amplifier when the
internal main fuse is only 10A?. This is what is claimed by certain
manufacturer of power conditioner telling to use their product of non
current limiting design because others tend to limit current

Thanks.
ST
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"ST" wrote in message

Hi again. Now have another question regarding current
limiting drawback in power conditioner.While reading some
articles on power conditioner where they talk about
current being limited by some brand and high current
amplifier being deprived of enough current for the
crucial moment which would result in lack of dynamics and
attack.

This would only happen at very loud listening levels with inefficient
speakers.

In my case, the fuse in my power amplifier is 10A . Power
supply is 240Vac but in usually it is around 246Vac. the
amplifier is capable of 250W (RMS per channel into 8ohm
or 500watt in 4ohm ) and maximum power consumption is
1500W. However, I usually play not more than 85db but
most often below that.

Why play guessing games?

There is a 230 volt version of the Kill-a-watt as well as competive power
meters. They are very low in cost and easy to use.

Measure and see how much power you are actually using.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Mar 13, 10:27*am, ST wrote:

Everything snipped for brevity.

Put simply, if your power conditioner (and that is very, very likely
an unnecessary item anyway if your amp is even reasonably well
designed) is well-and-truly capable of delivering 15A @ 240VAC without
sag, then you have no worries. Try not using it for a while and see if
you notice a difference. If you don't, then it is fine and you may go
back to using it if it makes you feel better.

About the only reason for any line contitioner (as distinguished from
a good surge protector which is an entirely different sort of item
needed for entirely different reasons) is if you have particularly
nasty power due to particularly nasty stuff sharing the same power
line with you sufficiently close as to make a difference. That is a
very rare condition, if you have at least reasonable control of your
own household and eschew certain types of dimmer switches, cheap CFL/
PL lamps and fluorescent ballasts, old-style ignition transformers for
your oil-fired central heater and so forth. Or you live in an
apartment (Flat) with all sorts of nasty stuff around you.

When it comes to a great deal of literature 'out there' on audio stuff
- believe only what your ears tell you and only then if it makes
practical and obvious sense going in. If you read it twice and still
go "Huh??" then very likely it is mostly smoke, the occasional mirror
- but vanishingly little substance.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
westom westom is offline

On Mar 13, 10:27*am, ST wrote:
Hi again. Now have another question regarding current limiting
drawback in power conditioner.While reading some articles on power
conditioner where they talk about current being limited by some brand
and high current amplifier being deprived of enough current for the
crucial moment which would result in lack of dynamics and attack.

In addition to other useful answers, you can also test for this
current limiting. To the same amp power source, also power an
incandescent light bulb. If light bulb intensity does not change,
then you have no current limiting. If light bulb does change
intensity, then you might (only might) have current limiting.

I suspect those articles about current limiting did not provide
specific numbers. Just another reason to me more skeptical of the
articles. Subjective fears are mostly myths from the technically
naive. The technically naive too often know without any numbers.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 07:26:02 -0700, westom wrote
(in article ):

On Mar 13, 10:27*am, ST wrote:
[...]

Most of these audio equipment "power conditioners" do not regenerate power
(like through a transformer or an active AC to AC converter), they simply
pass what comes from the wall (the house mains) through a series of
inductive-capacitive-resistive filters. Therefore, the limiting factors to
the amount of current available is really the mains fuse. The amount of
current that the power conditioner can pass is restricted mostly by the
unit's own wiring, internal as well as external (the power cords) the filter
coils, and the like. Seems to me that rather than actually limiting the
current available to your equipment, such devices will merely get hot when
the current carrying capacity of these devices is exceeded. This can easily
be determined by feeling the chassis and cables of the conditioner to see if
they get unduly warm. Of course, if the power conditioner in question has
it's own circuit breakers, exceeding it's design limits will surely pop those
breakers (which is really the only way the unit has to limit the amount of
current available to your equipment through them). So, if your conditioner is
not getting warm while your system is playing, and not popping either it's
own or the house's mains breakers, you should be good to go.

best limiting plugin gregory butterworth Pro Audio 15 February 25th 07 09:12 PM
PETITION: Red Hot Chili Peppers CD re-issue (Reduce Compression,Limiting, Clipping) Simon Howson Pro Audio 26 December 22nd 05 02:17 PM
RNC up to the job of hard limiting ? Ray Thomas Pro Audio 20 January 1st 05 07:35 PM
limiting playback Tangy Pro Audio 4 December 28th 04 05:24 PM
compression vs. limiting J Pro Audio 7 March 2nd 04 04:38 PM