Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Software VU Meter

"Richard Corfield" wrote...
What do the different colour densities show? Slower and faster acting?
Percieved average and peak? Though dark is always somewhere below pale.

RMS?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Mike Rivers" wrote...
I know that Audacity's meter works to monitor the input. It's a little
inconvenient since if you want it to indicate without recording, you have
to click on it every time. Once you start rolling and stop, you have to
click on it again in order to get it to indicate while stopped. I have
version 1.2.4 here. Maybe I should look at a newer version to see if it
works any differently.

Thats the nice thing about open-source. It can be diddled to operate
they way YOU want it to.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:

Thats the nice thing about open-source. It can be diddled to operate
they way YOU want it to.

Assuming you know how to diddle, which I don't. Maybe nobody who does
thinks this is dumb (yet). When you fix it and re-compile a Windows
version, let me know. But don't break anything.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
RD Jones RD Jones is offline
Senior Member

Location: Nashville

Nick Brown wrote:
use a stand-alone meter program, such as those available free from:
http://www.darkwood.demon.co.uk/PC/meter.html

On Jul 27, 11:14 am, Mike Rivers wrote:
Taking a second look, that's indeed the stand-alone one that I was
playing with. Good meters if only I could get them to indicate input
level all the time.

Did you try the "Wave Clone" util, as recommended on the
Darkwood page ?

Apparently some drivers are not multiclient, and require the
input to be cloned in software to be able to be sent to more
than one device.

WaveClone is free trial, albeit limited functionality.
I don't know how becoming noisy after a few minutes
would effect a metering app, probably not in a good way.

Also what about Forge's "remote" ?
Is it resizable in your version, or big enough ?

rd
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Robert Orban Robert Orban is offline

In article , says...

A check
on this newsgroup will show that Bob Orban was promoting a free one
here not too long ago, and a lot of people liked it.

http://www.orban.com/meter/

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill Les Cargill is offline

John Williamson wrote:
Les Cargill wrote:
Les Cargill wrote:
Mike Rivers wrote:
I must be really dumb here. I want a VU meter to watch while I'm
recording and I either can't find one or can't figure out how to
make it work. I've been using Sound Forge 8 as a playground. It does
have a little VU meter display but I'd like something that doesn't
require that amount of concentration. It has a large bargraph meter,
but that's only active on playback (unless making it work when
recording is something I haven't figured out - Sound Forge's
documentation is just a little lacking).

PSP has a plug-in meter that looks like it might work, but I don't
really understand plug-ins very well and I can't seem to figure out
how to apply it to the input, or even if this is possible in Sound
Forge. (Sound Forge's documentation is just a little lacking). What
do I need to know? Or is there another meter I could be looking at?
Ideally, I'd like a stand-alone (not plug-in) version that would
work on anything, and of course I want it to be free, at least in a
usable trial version. And it would be nice if it would work with
Audacity or other free/cheapware.

This is for instructive purposes so ultimately I want to be able to
tell people how to set it up who are even dumber than I about these
things. The idea here is that most DAW programs just don't have a
good way of showing people what's going in, so it's hard to explain
how to sensibly set the record level.

Any suggestions?

This helps not-at-all, but Cool Edit 96 had a useable meter. Maybe it
was brought forward to Audacity; I don't know.

You had to go to the "Options" menu to enable it.

--
Les Cargill

Correction:
I mean Adobe Audition, not Audacity. A quick browse of the website
reveals ... nothing.

The meter in Audacity can be used to monitor an input, & can, be set to
float at any size you want up to full screen, at least in the Windows
version.

Cool. Thanks.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler Paul Stamler is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

I'm not particularly wedded to Sound Forge, that's just an example. But
I can't use a pretty meter for record level in Audacity, or Fast Edit,
or WaveLab, or Sequoia.

You can use one in n-track studio, which is inexpensive and remarkably
powerful, although with a clunky interface. But it has great big
peak-reading meters which work on record if you turn them on.

Of course, you can record your .wav files in n-track studio, then work on
them in whatever program you choose.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Corfield[_3_] Richard Corfield[_3_] is offline

On 2008-07-29, Richard Crowley wrote:
"Richard Corfield" wrote...
What do the different colour densities show? Slower and faster acting?
Percieved average and peak? Though dark is always somewhere below pale.

RMS?

Maybe. Dark acts slower, though that may be down to how the RMS is
calculated.

- Richard

Posted to rec.audio.pro

RD Jones wrote:

Did you try the "Wave Clone" util, as recommended on the
Darkwood page ?

No, I didn't notice it. I thought that there used to be multiclient
audio drivers and I thought something like that might work. I tried
using the Total Recorder driver but that didn't work with a meter.

Also what about Forge's "remote" ?
Is it resizable in your version, or big enough ?

My version doesn't have it sizeable, but it's OK. The thing is that you
have to get to it through the normal Sound Forge GUI, and it goes away
once you stop recording. If there was a recording program that worked
like that only backwards, that might be good for what I have in mind -
start it up and it comes up with a simple "tape deck" kind of screen,
just "input" (always active), transport controls, and a time display. If
you want an editor, you click something to get it. If you don't want it,
it doesn't get in the way.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Paul Stamler wrote:

You can use one in n-track studio, which is inexpensive and remarkably
powerful, although with a clunky interface.

I haven't looked at N-Track Studio in quite a while, but a clunky user
interface is what I'm trying to get away from.

me he
)

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Paul Stamler wrote:

You can use one in n-track studio, which is inexpensive and remarkably
powerful, although with a clunky interface.

I haven't looked at N-Track Studio in quite a while, but a clunky user
interface is what I'm trying to get away from.

Right, but you don't need to use most of it, including the clunky stuff,
just the nice big meter and the Record button.

Peace,
Paul

Phase Meter / Difference Meter apa Pro Audio 0 June 2nd 06 05:54 PM
Db Meter jimbo_limited Car Audio 8 June 1st 06 03:17 PM
VU Meter (Software) PanHandler Tech 2 September 16th 05 05:26 PM
software for an audio control sa-3055 spl meter undrgroundsound Car Audio 3 July 11th 05 03:54 PM
[OT] Sound measure software with equivalent sound level meter? jd Pro Audio 2 March 21st 04 07:34 PM